GL1100 from Down Under.

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

WingnutGL
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: GL1100 from Down Under.

Post by WingnutGL »

Belated (and embarrassed) thanks for all the warm welcome's.
Health issues have been intruding. Apologies.

I had promised more re the story of this Wing, sooo ... ... but I'll stick to the NGW relevant parts for now, and leave the Streamliner part for later.

I've admired the Wing and its engineering since its arrival in 1976 (?), but until 'now', I had never ridden one.
Went through all the usual stuff to get it fully rideable again (ohhh boy :evil: ).

Anyway - once on the road - I WUZ AMAZED at the stability, handling, and sure-footed feel 'everywhere' :shock: :shock: :shock:

By nature, I'm a canyon-carver. Two or four wheels - if the Law is not around - I totally fall into this riding "groove".

The more I understood the Wing, the more I fell into my 'groove'. OMG. :-)

Found I could lean until the horizon was at a silly angle, even on fast, choppy, bumpy surfaces. (70mph+), staying with sports riders. Tires had become so hot and sticky that they picked lots of small stones and gravel as I stopped. Whoo hoooo. :-)

Very quickly I found myself scraping (dangerously) side and center stands. And this was after I had put heavier 'Progressive' springs in the rear shocks, and pumped to max pressure. :-((((

Soooo ... I found/fitted a set of longer (14.5" vs 13.25"), Progressive 416 (air) shocks for more rear cornering clearance.

Yay - solved the clearance problem ... for the moment ... but it was only a matter of time before I found the pegs touching again. }}}:-O, but much less than before. Bike still feeling v.stable, up to a point ... more later ...

I was running Dunlop D404's front and rear. Be in no doubt - the harder they're pushed, the stickier they get. Muahh harrr harrr. ):-]]]

BUT ... BUT ... looking at the rear tire, it was obvious that I was using the last 1/4 - 1/2" of the shoulder (or less), and so not far off a disaster. }:-0

So - decision time: am I a Tourer or a Canyon Carver, given that, IMHO, the Wing can be happy in either role.

As I had already removed most of the tourer junk, as well as raised the rear, everything was pointing at Canyon Carver:

Then THIS happened c/- not thouroughly washing degreaser off rear tire. OMG GRRRR:

and

Sort of quickly made up my mind - touring vs sport. :-D LOL

Answer: Sport. :-)

But there's much more - watch this space ...
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

ouch..glad you are okay.
I own the twin to your bike..except for the fairing..
being a rookie rider I ride very conservatively and still managed to dump it in a corner. riding past my capabilities and pulled a rookie mistake, hauled on the front brake.
fortunately the damage to the bike wasn't as bad as the damage to my ego. lol

1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Welcome and ouch. It's not too often we get the ole Goldwing/Canyon Carver conversation. They're capable, but more often used for mile eating.

Since I see a bit of grey in the beard, I'd say you were lucky. It has been my experience (don't ask) that bones that earlier in life would have been left intact now have a tendency to break in certain situations...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

desertrefugee wrote:Welcome and ouch. It's not too often we get the ole Goldwing/Canyon Carver conversation. They're capable, but more often used for mile eating.

Since I see a bit of grey in the beard, I'd say you were lucky. It has been my experience (don't ask) that bones that earlier in life would have been left intact now have a tendency to break in certain situations...
I'll ask..I posted about my dumb assery. :mrgreen:
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Wasn't a motorcycle crash. Broke my danged hand hitching a trailer if you can believe it. Tried to go one link too far on a weight distribution hitch and it kicked back on me a couple of years ago. Felt dumb. Doctor asked what I'd punched. Seems that particular bone is commonly broken when punching something. Boxer's break. Who knew?
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

a man has to know his limitations,..........the bike does!
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

body slam to the pavement.... threw away the scratched helmet
bruise from MVA.jpg
bruise from MVA.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 135 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

desertrefugee wrote:Wasn't a motorcycle crash. Broke my danged hand hitching a trailer if you can believe it. Tried to go one link too far on a weight distribution hitch and it kicked back on me a couple of years ago. Felt dumb. Doctor asked what I'd punched. Seems that particular bone is commonly broken when punching something. Boxer's break. Who knew?
easy to do..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)