Boxer Madness

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

PyramidBlaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Boxer Madness

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Greetings. I don't own an 'OldWing' yet, but i've had it bad for boxer-engined cycles for years and years... But always from afar.

Finally got bit by the real motorcycling bug when I spied a pic of the F6B a couple of years ago, so after years and years of prodding by my closest friend, i'm finally getting my license in a couple of months. I know all the talk about first bikes, and understand that even a naked GL1000 flies in the face of conventional logic here. In my defense, i'm not a small guy and am certainly no stranger to two-wheeled transportation, just the motorized kind. I'm not looking at a commuter bike, nor a daily driver... In fact the bike would be used primarily on little-used roads during off times, especially while just starting out.

I know many people advocate buying a much lighter, smaller displacement bike and then trading up, but I find it difficult to part with things once I own them, and would much rather try to learn to ride on something that I can stay with. It's no F6b, but it's closer to a learner bike than one... And much closer to my current budget. For the record, I wouldn't dream of getting a license without going thru the MSF course.

That said, after a good bit of research my initial target seems to be falling on a 1983 GL1100. My thought is that the bikes up to 1984 were designed primarily as naked bikes, with stuff added on to make them 'Interstate/aspencade' models. From the pics i'm seeing, subsequent year bikes were geared more toward the big tourers as opposed to Naked style with stuff added on... Seems to be way more integrated and more difficult to turn into a Naked bike (Correct me if i'm wrong!) The '83 models had wheel sizes with more options for tires, and the engine upgrades of the later models, in addition to seemingly be easier to strip down. Once again, feel free to interject. I'm looking for ease of maintenance, lower displacement (just starting out, not a speed demon, and will likely NEVER go 2-up), ease of use, easy availability, and ease of turning it into a naked bike or bobber. To me, it seemed like the GL1200 was less suited for that.

SO, plan is to pick up a running/driving '83 GL1100 (mostly interstates and aspencades here), strip the fairings and stuff off, make it mechanically sound (yes I know, timing belts and lower frame rust), and go from there.

I'm blessed by the fact that there seem to be an inordinate number of used OldWings down here in the Tampa Bay area that seem to have been here for years being ridden sparingly, hopefully that also means I can find a good running/driving example I can 'knock the ugly off'. I'm certainly comfortable with the wrench, even if I don't have a lot of experience specifically on 2-wheeled machines.

It also helps that there seem to be a lot of enthusiasts here, as well as Randakk's!!!! I must be truly blessed.

Anyway, open to suggestions as to the soundness of my scheme here, and VERY glad to be aboard. Seems to be a nice group.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Boxer Madness

Post by 5speed »

Waaaay ahead of you. :mrgreen:
I got my bike license just over 2 years ago..having never rode anything bigger then a Honda 50 mini bike before.
I took and strongly recommend the motorcycle safety course.
Like you..I don't like to sell things I buy..

I bought a "not running for the last 11 years" 76 GL1000 and spent a year going through it.
This was a learning experience for me as I've spun wrenches on my own vehicles for over 30 years but never worked on a bike.
Anything and everything you will ever need to know about wings is here. The membership here is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I also picked up a shadow 500 for my wife's first bike and I rode it quite a bit and hated it.
I'm 6'4" and around 250 and it was extremely under powered and uncomfortable.
I eventually sold it because I didn't think she would be comfortable riding it as she is new to bikes as well. I got her a 2002 Shadow 750 and it was like night and day between the 2 bikes.

So I put a push on to get the wing on the road this past spring.
To make a long story short..I am now the proud owner of an 82 GL1100 and the 76 is sitting on the bike jack going through a transformation into a bagger.
I had no issues with a bigger bike..because once you get rolling the weight goes away.
I put over 3000 km's on it this summer and even dumped it. crying1

The biggest thing you can do to get better at riding is to ride...I am far more comfortable riding now then I was 2 summers ago..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
PyramidBlaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Good to hear i'm not completely crazy!!! I definitely lurked around a bit, and I agree NGW seems to have a great group here... Some great resources and attitudes!

Definitely wary of buying an out-and-out project bike. I know there will be a large amount of work to be done to even a running-and driving example, but I really want to try to be on the road with it within the first month or two. I've been soaking up all the info I can to make an informed decision, hopefully on a good bike.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Welcome to the site. Nothing wrong with a GL as a first bike - especially if you're a big enough guy not to be too intimidated by the bulk. However, you mentioned a MSF course. Excellent idea. But, if they don't supply the machines (some do, some don't) I would definitely NOT recommend taking a GL through the course of study. The bikes are not known for their grace at slow speeds anyway and that'll be compounded by your inexperience. Do yourself a favor, buy or borrow a smaller bike for the course - if not supplied.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

desertrefugee wrote:Welcome to the site. Nothing wrong with a GL as a first bike - especially if you're a big enough guy not to be too intimidated by the bulk. However, you mentioned a MSF course. Excellent idea. But, if they don't supply the machines (some do, some don't) I would definitely NOT recommend taking a GL through the course of study. The bikes are not known for their grace at slow speeds anyway and that'll be compounded by your inexperience. Do yourself a favor, buy or borrow a smaller bike for the course - if not supplied.
This. Our course supplied us with 250 Suzuki street bikes..and ya..I looked like a reject from a clown car on it. lol
I bought my 1100 from the dealer I got the 750 from..well stole it. lol
I rode it home, changed the timing belts and burned a few tanks of gas.
Since no one else has warned you..MBD is extremely easy to catch and there is no cure.. ;)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

83s also came in the 'Standard' model. If you're going basic that would be an easier beginning.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

I was working on my GL before I got my license too. And of course I too was blessed to find this forum. Without it I doubt I would have gotten as far as I have. My bike is ridable but needs some more work to undo some abuse I gave it while I as a newbie bike mechanic and screwed the pooch a few times.

Good luck and welcome.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Sounds like you've done your homework, and have a solid plan! I guess I'm partial to the 1100's, as I have several, lol! Just an FYI, the '82 has the same size tires as the '83, just not the cast wheels. Personally, I wouldn't rule out an '80 or '81, as several manufacturers still make the proper tires, and there's only minor differences otherwise. It would open up your choices some. My 2 cents.
Good luck on your search, and enjoy the ride!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Welcome to the club.

I was 44 when I bought my first bike. An 81 Gl1100. Then I got my license and learned how to ride. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Also, when I got my bike, I took it from a full dresser interstate to a naked bike. It was a lot of fun, and yes, work.

Not sure what condition the bike you plan to get is in, or your budget, but it could cost more to tear it down and get it up and running than what it would cost to buy a running bike. If the carbs need work, just the rebuild parts can run ya a couple bills. Then, if the engine is shot, your looking at 3-5 bills.

Not trying to scare you off, I got my bike for $400 and I put in about $800 to bring it up to snuff. And for the most part, I did all the work.

I got lucky. The bike was in fair condition when I got it. So, if your going to spend a bit on the bike you are looking at, and repair costs could put you over the cost of getting a running bike, I would look into a running bike.

For instance, there is a nice 82 naked GL1100 listed on craigslist in your neck of the woods for about 2K. Or best offer. You could skip the headache, and start the ride. Just sayin...

Again, don't know your situation, but whatever you do, good luck and look forward to seeing you around.
PyramidBlaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Since no one else has warned you..MBD is extremely easy to catch and there is no cure.. ;)
Oh, I'm WELL aware of that one... But the wife, not so much... Yet, anyway. ;)

Thanks for all the replies! yes, all good stuff to consider. I am indeed looking at a running, driving bike in the $1500-$2000 range as opposed to a 'project' bike. It'll be a project, but more of a running-and-driving bike that I slowly transform into a naked bike... Then maybe more modification. Partial to the '83s and '84 naked 1200 for both ease of conversion and the wheels/tires, I hear things about those Comstars... But i'm sure if the right deal came along, I wouldn't be as picky.

But yeah, definitely looking at getting a bike to ride after the initial basic maintenance is done... I definitely saw that bike you're talking about and a couple of other possibles, unfortunately it will be spring before I have the budget (and license) to support it... A basic trailer for bikes is in the works as well...