Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

StjohnT
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by StjohnT »

Hello and thanks for letting me join. I've read a lot of the articles and they have all been very helpful. I am the owner of a 82 gl1100I. It was giving to me by a friend who couldn't get the rear brakes to release after a botched brake job. Lucky me. Im not an expert mechanic but that was a pretty easy fix. As a matter of fact I had them released in his driveway and rolled it right up onto the trailer. Got it home started tearing into it and I've rode it for 2 summers now. Love the bike.

So about a month ago I was heading home and a dog ran out in front of me and I laid it over. It hit pretty hard. After a quick self check and once over on the bike I started it up and headed for home. Everything sounded fine a d it wasn't smoking. The weather turned nasty quick after that so I hadn't rode again. Well a couple days ago was kind of nice out. went out to go for a ride and found my bikeso sitting in a huge puddle of coolant. I couldn't tell where it was ciming from so i fired it up let it warm up and noticed white smoke coming from under the left side of the engine where the exhaust goes into the engine and I noticed coolant dripping off the threads that mount the exhaust. Now there was minimal smoke from the exhaust when I first started but it cleared up fast and it was cold out. I checked the oil and coolant and both seem fine as far as being contaminated but the reservoir was completely empty.

So does anybody have any idea what could be causing the leak and what I can do to fix it. I've put alot of time into it and hate thinking it may be done for. Im confident I could do the head gaskets if need be but would like a second opinion before I tear into a project like that. thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.
CYBORG

Re: New member

Post by CYBORG »

Welcome,...check for a leak at the coolant pipe where it goes into the elbow at the top of the head
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Lots of help here .... I think CYBORG solved your fist problem ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Welcome to the site from the UK. All the help and advice can be found here,

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
StjohnT
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by StjohnT »

Posted pic after posted reply. Dont know why its sideways or at the top. But this is how my exhaust pipes look I dong think its right.
Posted pic after posted reply. Dont know why its sideways or at the top. But this is how my exhaust pipes look I dong think its right.
20180203_182407.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 215 times
OK found the coolant leak it was a crack in the hose from the reservoir to the radiator.
So here's my new dilema. I noticed oil around the left side valve cover. But underneath of the engine was to dirty to tell for sure where its coming from so I cleaned it up with engine degreaser. Finally got the center stand on. Put it up on it and let it sit a while. Went back out and started it up and it just started spewing white smoke out of both exhaust pipes and the left exhaust intakes. Like a lot of smoke. And I noticed that some of the left exhaust bolts had oil dripping off of them and that the mounts are not flush with the engine. There are actually a couple of them that don't even touch and it looks like they've been tourqued so hard its bent them some. I shut it off because I didnt want it overheating. I dont trust the temp guage. It only works sometimes I think the 7volt regulator may be going bad to...so I checked the coolant it was good. I checked the oil it was good. I pulled all the plugs and they all looked and smelled the same a little dark smelled like fuel. No coolant. I even took a q-tip and tied it to a longer stick and stuck it down all plug holes all of them were the same. Dry. Very little soot. both sides of the engine felt the same to the touch to. So could somebody please tell me what is going or what to do. I like the bike I've tried making it my own. its starting to get to be a little much. Thinkin complete top end over haul or throw in the towel. So once again any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks and apologies for the long post just trying to cover everything I could think of.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! From the photo you posted, I would say that you have an aftermarket exhaust, probably a set of Jardenes (I have a similar set on my '81). Unlike the stock exhaust, which uses one piece cast flange to mount both pipes, the Jardenes uses two flat steel flanges which are pretty easily bent, especially if the gaskets are not replaced when installed. Unless you have an actual exhaust leak, I wouldn't worry about that issue at the moment.
If it were me, I'd start by giving the engine a good cleaning. It's very hard to see where a leak might originate from if fluids are dripping from multiple areas. Also, I've found that I notice more 'little things' when I'm hands-on cleaning than most other times.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

A few additional thoughts... fuel leaking from the carbs will mix with gunk on the engine and appear to be oil, as well. As far as the 'lots of smoke' issue, it is also possible that the exhaust wrap held in some of the degreaser and other fluids and burned off/evaporated when the engine was running.

Bottom line, start with the simple things, and eliminate them one at a time. My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
StjohnT
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by StjohnT »

I appreciate the advice Track T 2411. I cleaned it up pretty good and put some cardboard under it so I can try to get a better idea of what's leaking. Left it sitting on the center stand to.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

After owning it for two summers, and liking the bike you say you have... 'tried making it my own'. Other than fixing the brakes was there any other 'fix' necessary? Two years running it during the summer and putting it up for the winter (it sounds like), and you have had a maintenance-free machine, until the slide-down. I can't believe the bike should be presenting such a problem that your morale could plummet that low. I am just a beginner here with mine, but my desire is tremendous. Most all the members here enjoy that 'quality time' they set aside to prove their skills. If you listen closely to the competence of knowledge given here for advice, whatever that 'fix' is on your bike should come easy. Don't give it up so easy...that was how you came to be with it. You may not ever find another so easy....IMHO.
...Sundance.
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
StjohnT
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by StjohnT »

Your right sundance. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I won't give up on it. I just let it get to me. Have a few other stress factors right now and seeing my bike like that really brought me down. Riding is about the only thing I do that clears my mind where I can think without much distraction. A little wind therapy if you will. I've got plenty of time until riding season and I do enjoy the mechanical work. I like figuring out and learning how stuff works. So with a little time and money and sites like this one I should be ready to go by the time the weather warms up.
To answer your question though, no there wasn't a whole lot wrong with the bike other than the brakes. The carbs were trashed and I thought about doing a rebuild but after a lot of researching and figuring cost and labor time I decided to go to a single carb. I actually found the step by step thread on this site. It was an easy fix and I haven't had a bit of trouble out if it. A few new orings in the water tubes new thermostat and a couple other minor things its been a pretty sound ride.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

StJohnT, I agree with Sundance whole heartedly. I was completley new to MCs when I got my GL1000 in bins, baskets and boxes. I refurbed the bike did all manner of work on her, I screwed up a lot, but this forum has always been my friend. Use the problem solving you do on YOUR bike as your destreser till riding season. Cyborg seemed to instinctively know what to look for in his post to you. Remember that, here there are many like him. But THERE IS NO OTHER SITE LIKE THIS ONE!
IMHO
Welcome, and enjoy the journey, you'll be better for it...Son. :lol:
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

StJohnT, p.s. if you do want to throw in the towel so soon, I could use a new project bike ...just let me know.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Martiangod »

Welcome, hope you like reading and reading and reading
it never ends, i'm still reading, information overload,,,,then read more posts...lol
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Old man, first bike, first build