New to me 83 GL1100 Aspencade stripping into a naked wing

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

abo1787
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

New to me 83 GL1100 Aspencade stripping into a naked wing

Post by abo1787 »

I've picked up the bike noted above, and have been lurking / using the search functionality to get my bike back on the road.

I ended up here by picking up a friend's old bike that his friend gave to him when he passed. He didn't know how to work on bikes, and wasn't comfortable doing it, and asked me if I wanted it before he junked it.

I can't pass up a challenge, and started stripping it. I've gotten all the chrome bits off but the engine, and the engine guards (not removing those for safety). I'm trying really hard to get it running again with minimal money invested. I intend for this bike to be fun, and I know at 136k even for an "oldwing" she's still got a little life. I'm trying to pull out that last bit. I plan to keep this bike and enjoy it until the engine / tranny finally goes. Then I'll likely donate this one to someone that could use the parts, or just scrap it if it's too much damage.

Currently I've done:
timing belts
carb clean and rebuild and bench sync
pumped out gas tank, found no leaks, but can't remove the rust, so just riding with it and will be swapping fuel filters frequently :)
Full oil change and filter, and seals (my oil drain plug was nicely stripped out of the hole by the PO. Going to be getting that rethreaded and put back in. Currently sealing pretty well, but drips a few drops every now and then.)
Air filter
plugs
and then just generally cleaned everything else out.

I went through the oldwing startup guide. Thanks, that guide was awesome, and a lifesaver.
I've got a shop manual

Things I need:
fork seals are toast
running boards were rusted through (looking for pegs to replace them)
"towing" gear was all rusty and pitted. removed to save weight.
Front faring was fully functional but I don't like the way it looked, it's removed along with all the other body panels.
Change oil in rear end
fill tank with gas
change fuel filter after first runthrough
New tires (tires were installed in 2006 when bike was last inspected)
rear brake master is frozen solid. Front was replaced.

Other stuff:
This bike has a ton of old parts that I just don't need anymore. If there is a local winger that could use some of them, I'm sure we could work out a deal. The bike was free to me, I'm not looking to make any money on it. Just get the parts I need to get it on the road.
20190112_160808.jpg
20190112_160808.jpg (116.76 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Here is my girl after taking the seat off.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: New to me 83 GL1100 Aspencade stripping into a naked wing

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! Looks pretty solid. Just a thought, if three floorboards have rust issues, you might want to do a thorough check for rust on the frame. There are a few areas that are prone to rust damage. The removable frame section (where the side stand attaches), the frame crossmember that the center stand mounts to, and the half - moon shaped areas where the swing arm bolts on come to mind.
You also might want to add your general location to your profile so we know if we might be 'local'... lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Here is a bit of the project I did on my 83 Aspencade about a year ago.Was just out in the shop yesterday putting in new brake pads and changing out all the old fluid. You will like your bike when you are done.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64791
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

welcome.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Looks like you have a good start .... put your location in so we know where you are ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

welcome to NGW
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
abo1787
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by abo1787 »

Thanks all for the welcomes. I've updated my location, and appreciate the things to look at.

I'm still tearing things apart, and trying to make sure I have a functional wing under all that dust and oil :) I was able to take it out into the warm air finally and let it come to temperature.

Also got the rear tail light / signals hooked up, and am trying to figure out how to retrofit the old headlight onto a bracket with new signals.

Still can't find a set of pegs ... they're CRAZY expensive for front pegs lol. And I've officially confirmed my rear master cylinder is a gonner :)

As you can tell I'm not very active just because of time restrictions, but thanks everyone and I'll be lurking more and more. Maybe will catch some locals at a meet if I can get this thing running :)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

there are a lot of us who "time restrictions" mean projects take a lot of time.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

abo1787 wrote:

Still can't find a set of pegs ... they're CRAZY expensive for front pegs lol. And I've officially confirmed my rear master cylinder is a gonner :)
:)
Amazing how much things cost that used to be thrown in the trash, headlight buckets, ears to mount headlights, turn signals and YES front pegs!! At one time a set of floor boards was the answer. Last year I paid 50 bux Canadian for a set of drivers pegs. Best money I ever spent on "Freki". She is so much nicer to shift and brake without those godawful boards.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
newday777
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by newday777 »

Howdy abo1787

I also have an 83 Aspencade. They are a fine ride indeed. I did a total restoration on it in 2009 when I rescued it from a chicken coop de wings(a friend had a coop he rented to store wings in that he purchased for parts and restoration but hadn't gotten to this one).
It had slept for over 13 years. Original owner had layed it down at 35 mph and parked it in his garage here in SoCal. We checked that the motor was free and not locked up, so we loaded on my friend's trailer and put it in my garage and I stripped it down for a total cleaning of the desert dust and grime.
3 1/2 months later I took it for a ride. I rode it for a year and a half and gave it to a pastor when another friend left me his 1500.
3 1/2 years later the pastor asked me if I knew anyone looking for an 83 as he wanted to buy a boat to fish so I bought it back. It's been a slow process this time around as life has had a few bumps since. But I'm hoping to have enough money this winter to bring it back to life again.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Welcome back newday777.
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
newday777
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by newday777 »

Jonesz wrote:Welcome back newday777.
Thanks Jonesz. I pop in every now and then......