The old and the new

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Wing Racer
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

The old and the new

Post by Wing Racer »

Hi, My name is Ken, and I'm an old Honda addict...........I started on Honda with a 125 elsinore....and graduated last year, when I joined the forum, to an 84 Aspencade. Great bike with just a few complaints but the main complaint is that the crash bars were appropriately named....sorry to say.....if you lay it over just a bit too much and at the same time have an air line break, deflating the forks and the shocks, the crash bars act as, well a CRASH bar..

..removing the tires, front and rear, from the pavement and, in my case, taking me all the way to the raised dirt shoulder which then dug the tires in and attempted to high side me. Just when I was rapidly catching the two Jixxers I was following...

...with a ton of tenacity, I managed to hang on until first contact with the first of three 8 inch brand new concreted in fence posts.....as I attached to the attached barbed wire I managed to stay on rather than the dreaded high side, one problem...the wire pinned me to the bike which came down without tossing me and landed right on my left leg, pinning me to the ground and breaking it in 6 places and hanging me upside down on a hill side..

...of course being on it's side and hanging down, the bike proceeded to leak gas, which I noted with a breath......being a 100 plus degree day and having driven about 70 miles of winding roads I expected a fire at any time....SO I took my good leg and pushed the bike up far enough to pull out my leg and oops, it was bending sideways instead of front to back..

....due to my superior ability to asses a situation, and powers of deduction, I decided that my leg was broken and the barbed wire wrapped on my arm was keeping me stuck to the bike...

..to make a long story short, (perhaps too late for that?) I have been recovering now for the past five months , to the day last Sunday, and spent my recovery time buying five more Hondaie ? is that plural for Honda? . I took my first ride this past Sunday on a balmy 70 degree Sunday, riding my CB 750. During the down time I also stripped all fairings, floorboards, CRASH bars, bags and unnecessary parts, I'm a racer not a cruiser....made a living in the seventies and eighties racing pro and outlaw flat track..

...So, as we go along I hope to post some interesting photos and facts about converting a 1200 into a quasi street tracker/cafe racer/ whatever ...I'm happy to be accepted here and hope to be around as long as I can, by the way I just turned 75 three weeks after the accident and finally think I may know what I want to do when I grow up, if I ever do.......I'll keep y'all posted...
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The old and the new

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Welcome aboard. I made some minor changes to your post. A little easier to read now. anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Greetings, Ken. The 84 Aspencade really wasn't intended to be a racer - crash bars or not. A '75, now that was a rocket. And the 1800s have given many a sport biker a lesson although there is no way a good rider on a sport bike should be embarrased by one. A friend of mine bought a new '18 DCT and said that only an Aprilla made him "squeal like a little girl" like the '18 did in Sport mode over the Dragon. It certainly will be interesting to see what you can do with a 'cade - particularly in the handling department.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

have to agree with pidjones.... and welcome to NGW
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

I think you're on to something with the new plural Hondaie .... altho' I think Hondi might suffice ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

caboose.... cabeese? and what is the plural of lamb?
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you've recovered well... doesn't sound like my kind of adventure, lol.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”