who has a pristine GL1000

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

mossquire
Lead Member
Lead Member

who has a pristine GL1000

Post by mossquire »

Hi from the UK, I was originally just going to introduce myself as a new owner of a 1980 GL1100 naked in Candy Muse which was imported from the US in 2017 and then left outside and not touched by the previous owner. I have it now and putting it back to stock. However I have another reason for coming onto this site.....I need a pristine 75 or 76 GL1000 in Antares Red, low mileage and either original or restored to a high standard as I am a bit OCD. It needs to be in the US as well. Why? My brother lives in Mass and we want to do R66 then West Coast Highway then back to Mass in August/September 2022 and then I will ship it back to the UK as it will mean a lot to me by then. Not being too sentimental, I am 60, my Bro 63 and we have not seen each other for 15 years and may not do again after this. I know it is a big ask of a 45 year old bike to do 7k without breaking down but I have several bikes which are 40+ and I would trust probably 60% of them could do it with may be only running maintenance.
So, does anyone know of such a bike or maybe someone on this site is restoring one just for the love of restoring and absolutely knows their stuff. If I find one what sort of price bracket should I be looking at.
Thanks for reading
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: who has a pristine GL1000

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Sounds like a great adventure ... lots of possibilities here

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome from the west coast rock of Canada. There's been lots of threads here and other forums where people have bought a GW in another country, did the maintenance and took the bike for a good tour.

Good Luck. Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I think that you should do a little more research on today's Route 66. It only ever really existed between Chicago and L.A. Today, it co-routes with many other highways, and often disaspears altogether. Although there was a song and TV series in the 60s, today you might be very disappointed by the few land mark places left. Better to pick the landmarks that interest you and find good roads between them. US DOT is not into nostalgia, it seems.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
digger
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by digger »

I am just now reading a book printed in 2012, called Route 66 Still Kicks, written by Rick Antonson. Rick and a friend search and drive the whole route, (as much as possible), in a Mustang convertible, some areas of the road are now private. I am sure more of it is closed or lacks access than it had when the book was written. It is humorous, entertaining and informative. A lot of history was researched and is well presented. I would recommend reading this if you want to travel the Mother Road, or have an interest in it.
1975 GL1000
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

https://www.theroute-66.com/ is a good internet starting point. The road stopped being US66 in 1985. The park service has resources allocated to preservation of some historic places on it (~25% will perhaps be used, the rest used up in "administration"). US70 once actually went coast-to-coast. It still starts at the Atlantic, but its Western terminus is now Globe, AZ. We took it in 2019 from Knoxville to Globe and then went to the Grand Canyon. We returned via US60 which co-routes with 66 in places. US70 was once refered to as "the Broadway of America" and is the old main downtown street in Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Rozwell, Alburquerque and many smaller towns. Both 70 and 60 co-route with interstates for ~100 miles, but the rest is still there.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

pidjones wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:15 am https://www.theroute-66.com/ is a good internet starting point. The road stopped being US66 in 1985. The park service has resources allocated to preservation of some historic places on it (~25% will perhaps be used, the rest used up in "administration"). US70 once actually went coast-to-coast. It still starts at the Atlantic, but its Western terminus is now Globe, AZ. We took it in 2019 from Knoxville to Globe and then went to the Grand Canyon. We returned via US60 which co-routes with 66 in places. US70 was once refered to as "the Broadway of America" and is the old main downtown street in Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Rozwell, Alburquerque and many smaller towns. Both 70 and 60 co-route with interstates for ~100 miles, but the rest is still there.
Route 66 got/gets all the love, but over several decades I have thoroughly enjoyed many, many miles of the Western end of US70.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

US highway 12, US highway 30 - The Lincoln Highway. Looks like we got to talking about highways and the dude was looking for scooter. If you're going to start in Mass., probably be checking Craigslist there. You could probably put up an ad and see what kind of response you get. I'd try to find a scooter well ahead of departure time. Have your brother check it out and gather up parts. Come early and be prepared to do some wrenching. Assuming you are able to do your own wrenching. I don't think I'd undertake a trip like that if I wasn't prepared to do some pre-trip service and some on the road repairs. Good luck and keep us posted !
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
mossquire
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mossquire »

Thanks for the replies and yes I know there is only part of the route left. The first 1000 miles is fairly boring but I guess its the experience of doing the whole route, or as much that is left which is the important think. I am certain that when all is said and donr, the road will be no different to any other road but just the experience of doing it wth my brother. We are carrying on up the PCH so that will have all the stunning views and then from Portland, through Yellowstone and back to Mass. Sounds easy when you say it like that! As for the bike I have a couple of choices. 1. Buy a pristine condition bike and get someone in the Mass area to go over it and make sure its all good. I would ask on here for a list of garages/mechanics along the route so I have at least a contact should something go wrong. I have a reasonable knowlege of bikes as has my brother so the niggles are ok so sort but obviously fuel pumps, water pumps are not something you can do in an hour at the roadside (if you have a new fuel pump with you maybe?). Or buy a $2 fixer upper and pay someone over there to restore it. I am sure there are some well recommended restores on here who could do the job. I have a 1980 Wing here at home which I am doing a rolling resto on so I can learn a bit about them to help me on the trip. I would accept any advice, any leads to bikes, restorers ect. Thanks
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I restore GL1000s as a hobby and I will let you determine if my work meets your standards. I am currently working on a GL1000 custom project, but then I will be doing a 1975 red GL1000 that I have. I am willing to sell it once I am finished. I have done many GL1000s and know them well. Take a look at the last one I did and send me a private message if you want to buy the red one when I am finished. I am certain the bike will be just fine on your trip.

https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=75863
AZNGW Rider
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by AZNGW Rider »

Arizona has the longest stretch of the original Route 66 that is still in use today, along the 158-mile stretch between Ashfork and the Colorado River near Topock. This includes Seligman which is where the producers of the movie "Cars" got some inspiration for their movie and where Angel Delgado (the Angel of Route 66) still cuts hair at his barber shop although his working hours are limited these days. I tried getting my hair cut there by him but he was not working that day although I did get to meet his daughter.
1976 Goldwing GL-1000
1998 Royal Star 1300
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
:crosso
Past Bikes
1975 Kawasaki KZ400
1977 Goldwing GL-1000
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

There is short stretch of 66 intact to the east of Albuquerque, NM on the westbound lane, yes you'll have to turn around in order to experience it, there are a set of grooves in the pavement that when you drive over them at precisely 45mph your tires will play the song "America The Beautiful"

https://www.roadunraveled.com/blog/sing ... ew-mexico/
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

route 66 has a lot of "old roads" in Illinois and Oklahoma.... further west it is just the couple mile drive through the small towns alongside I40
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

You have a great ride in mind. My brother and I take a "Bro Ride" every year and one year we did some miles on the old 66 in Illinois. Even if the road is boring, the time with your brother will make it all worthwhile, and you will see some iconic restaurants, and courthouses along the way. I remember one old jail where we had to take some pictures. Thankfully we had not been arrested. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!