Future GL1100 owner and builder. Hi.

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

TheFieryMan
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Future GL1100 owner and builder. Hi.

Post by TheFieryMan »

My name is Nathan. For many years I have wanted to own and build a Honda. I initially became interested in naked bikes by seeing a Yamaha R6 "Streetfighter". Before that I didn't really realize that naked bikes were a thing. Since then I've mostly dreamed about doing it since my chosen "profession" doesn't really allow much of a chance to own "luxury" items or give me time to have projects like this. I am director of a Christian NGO serving in the Kurdish Region of northern Iraq. Me, my wife and two little kids live in a pretty remote area without access to things like postal services etc. I did somehow received a random Colorado election flyer promoting some random county park improvement initiative but it came two months after the election and got passed from random guy to random guy in the nearby village before someone decided it wasn't my top secret orders from the CIA.

Anyway back to the point. Since taking interest in naked bikes I have been focused primarily on late seventies CB750s but I am a pretty tall dude and started really liking the look of some of the Goldwing Cafe Racer builds I found around the internet. I am the type of person who finds joy in doing massive amounts of detailed research before starting projects or buying "high dollar" items like electronics or tools. It also gives me a chance to kind of experience the project without being able to actually do it, if that makes sense.

Its been about 8 years since I've thought about naked GL projects and my interest has been renewed in the last couple weeks to the point that I've been looking at bikes again on Craigslist as potential project bikes for whenever decide to retire from this work and get back to the US.

So thats me. Sorry its a bit long but hopefully it helps people understand my situation a bit more. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about and planning my future GL project and sharing it with you once I am actually able to do it.
1982 GL1100A Aspencade
(Naked Mega Squirt EFI project)
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Future GL1100 owner and builder. Hi.

Post by Oldewing »

Sounds great,

There plenty of ideas in the Gallery.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Lots of ideas here.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
TheFieryMan
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by TheFieryMan »

Thanks for that.
1982 GL1100A Aspencade
TheFieryMan
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by TheFieryMan »

Since I'm still very new here I'll post this here rather than making a new thread. My first GL1100A was acquired few hours ago from a great owner in Eau Claire, WI. Loaded on a trailer and hauled back to MN. I was not there unfortunately. I won't be back stateside till mid June. Big thanks to my father for driving down there and loading it up. He shot a short video and sent it to me. Sounds pretty good.
https://rumble.com/v2jqsyc-gl1100a-aspe ... ning..html
Might be idling a bit high. He also took a picture of a small oil leak on the left side.
586C0C7A-8426-48EB-983A-A99764D57337.jpeg
586C0C7A-8426-48EB-983A-A99764D57337.jpeg (252.99 KiB) Viewed 395 times
When I get back in June I will have a closer look to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I will be stripping it down and selling all of the non-naked parts so if you want dibs on anything let me know.
1982 GL1100A Aspencade
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Hi. Just saw this thread. Strange I missed it.

Leak could be a few things. It does seem to be pretty oily down there. Don't worry that much for now. Maybe it wants to be a Harley? Hmm.

You DO want to change the belts unless you have documentation showing a recent change, what with the interference motor.

What I see right away: It's an Aspencade but not the '83. This saves you the hassle of the digital readout/dash. You get dual piston calipers up front and out back, which is nice. And you don't have the linked brakes introduced in '83. Some don't like those, so you've got a more traditional set up.

It runs. I have yet to buy a GL that runs. Admittedly, my price point is rock bottom.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

damn....looks like a harley lolol lolol lolol lolol , okay my old wings leak too

welcome aboard
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS