Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:CJ, nice job on the heads. I'm kicking around pulling them on my engine. It has 40K on it. I don't know how long it has been sitting. I'm thinking a good de-coke, new valve seals and cam seals. My 1200 was sitting for 10 years before I recommissioned it. I didn't do new seals and it is dripping oil from the rear cam seals and messing my shoes when I ride.
I'm with you on this one JamesPal: oil dripping on the shoes while riding would be the motivation! If that engine has had any kind of decent care, then she's barely warmed up!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

CrazyJerry wrote: You gotta love vintage pics!! A Kodak 110 - action1 ... I so lusted after one of those back when all I had was the Brownie Hawkeye!! If you can fly and take pics, then you are tougher than me. I tried it once and it wasn't good. :drunk
In the beanpole pic above, you could darn near pass as a brother (I "was" 6' and 128 lbs!)
Like you I dabble with the photos and when the weather is too cold to work on the Goldwing (like last night and right now) I try to catch-up on post processing, and what's new that others are doing and what's new with software. Not sure what others do, but all major projects start with a photo that I can play with to help visualize what it will look like later on. Without a sketch or a photo, I can't imagine what the final product will look like.
-
The Kodak 110 - that's vintage cool 5speed!!!! dancr
-
~CrazyJerry~
I wasn't flying..I was a passenger..although I asked about taking the "wheel". got a "negative ghost rider on that. lol
took this of a friends ultralight after I peeled it off my butt..there ain't much room in the back seat. lol
Attachments
ultralight 077.jpg
ultralight 077.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 303 times
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Hey Jerry, I don't think (but admittedly didn't go back and check) that you ever discussed the story of how this bike got created. Did you get the scoop from the fellow? The lines are gorgeous, and I'd pay good money for those pipes. If this was discussed, please just scold me briefly and point me to that blurb - whether early in this thread or elsewhere. I'm curious as to why someone would strike out with a vision this radical and then stop.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

5speed wrote: I wasn't flying..I was a passenger..although I asked about taking the "wheel". got a "negative ghost rider on that. lol
took this of a friends ultralight after I peeled it off my butt..there ain't much room in the back seat. lol
Love pics like this 5speed, where there's not a ton of time and you just have to catch it. anim-cheers1
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

desertrefugee wrote:Hey Jerry, I don't think (but admittedly didn't go back and check) that you ever discussed the story of how this bike got created. Did you get the scoop from the fellow? The lines are gorgeous, and I'd pay good money for those pipes. If this was discussed, please just scold me briefly and point me to that blurb - whether early in this thread or elsewhere. I'm curious as to why someone would strike out with a vision this radical and then stop.
There's no back story that I've found either... Around the time of purchase I did ask about any details and the response was mainly limited to what was done to the bike, what it needed, and what parts it was being sold with. I was all ears if any history would've been included but out of respect I didn't ask directly.
-
It's a great question desertrefugee and I don't have an answer but what I do know is, as you've said "The lines are gorgeous", and because of that, the nightmare of every modification going forward on this build will be dealt with.
-
This won't be cheap.
This won't be done in a day.
But:
This one is alive and it will live!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

In true ~CrazyJerry~ fashion, we have yet another weekly Saturday evening episode of the Oklahoma Goldwing! action1
-
In the last episode, viewers were left with the in-progress bike sporting a mid-seventies coffin-style gas tank:
-
-
-
Gas tanks will be visited this week but first, it's onto installing a spin-on oil filter adapter.

The factory oil filter canister is removed and then the engine is flushed a couple of times.
(This was done now since there has been a fair amount of run-time since the head gaskets, etc, were replaced - so an oil change is definitely in order.)
-
-
-
The feeling remains even after the glitter fades: lolol
-
-
-
Shown below is the Honda filter canister alongside the spin-on adapter:
-
-
-
Installation is so fast-n-easy there wasn't time to grab a photo, but here is the final product:
-
-
-
This should make future oil changes a snap and it more or less blends right in:
-
-
-
Some additional parts are in transit, among them are new coils to replace the old ones that are cracked and being used in these tests.
In the meantime, there's some planning going on regarding the gas tank. The one that came with the bike is going to be finished (upper and lower halves sealed) but in the event it is a failure, there needs to be other ideas. One that could work would be to use the coffin tank as is, or, use the upper part of the aluminum tank as a "top cover" as it fits right over the coffin tank:
-
-
-
-
-
Another option is to use a completely different tank. The original GL1100 Goldwing false tank would hide a multitude of sins, provide mounting for gauges, and possibly provide a nice surface for a drive-thru extra value meal:
-
-
-
-
The dilemma with using the GL1100 factory false tank should be apparent from the photos.
It changes the appearance of the bike drastically.
Not necessarily in a bad way, but differently.
-
Putting this in words is not the easiest thing to do, so to help illustrate what I'm trying to convey, I offer the following photo comparisons:
-
-
-
-
At some point, this bike will point us in a direction that it wants to go.
Even I can't wait to see how this eventually turns out.
-
But in the meantime, there's much more to do! :crosso
-
~CrazyJerry~
Last edited by CrazyJerry on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

sausage and gravy biscuit. rotflmao
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

I'm a Seabiscuit fan. How much gas will you be able to get into it?
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am most definitely not a sausage and gravy biscuit fan… The tank that is. That bike has come too far and is too special to saddle it with sausage and gravy. BTW, The first sausage and gravy shot made me throw up a little in my mouth. What a beast of an equine specimen. Either Photoshopped or the owner should be arrested for animal abuse.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Just my humble opinion, but, as said above, the original fabricated tank really fits the lines of the bike. The 'coffin' tank is much too angular, and the stock shelter, well...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:I'm a Seabiscuit fan. How much gas will you be able to get into it?
JamesPal, Two-gallons seems about right but that's just a guess (based on size).
Each side is tapered front to rear and top to bottom.
-
Once the tank is sealed/assembled, then I can actually measure it out.
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Welcome back to the Oklahoma GL1100 build thread!
More progress has happened:
-
The new coils arrived and they are now in place.
After their installation, one final carb synch was performed. This time using a Gunson CarbTune:
-
-
-
-
It running real good - here's the relevant video clip:
https://youtu.be/ap8wnaUl5N4
-
-
Since this bike has been here, the yellow stator wires have just been dangling out of the engine case.
If the stator is bad then the engine will need to be removed to fix it, so, a stator test was in order.
-
Wired up, bike not running we see our battery voltage:
-
-
At a normal idle the voltage rises to 13.76:
-
-
-
As a test during idle, I repeatedly disconnected the sense wire and the battery voltage easily rose into the 16 volt range (video here):
-
https://youtu.be/y_alkEgnlQU
-
-
Nothing got hot although the regulator fins got nice and warm (as it should), when it was asked to regulate the high battery voltage down.
-
The gas tank sealer is on the way so hopefully that's what's on deck for next week.
-
Thanks for eveyone's input on the gas tank comparison.
-
As a result, Sausage and Gravy Biscuit is off to Spring Training Camp for training and exercises.. lolol
-
~CrazyJerry~
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Jerry, she is coming along great, nice to see the engine running and charging. Have you done a leak proof test on the tank yet? I'm just curious.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

JamesPal wrote:Jerry, she is coming along great, nice to see the engine running and charging. Have you done a leak proof test on the tank yet? I'm just curious.
Hi JamesPal!
Can't to do anything with the aluminum gas tank until it is fully assembled. There is an upper piece and a lower piece that will need to be riveted together at the time the sealant is applied. There is an outdated jar of the sealant that was used to begin the sealing of the inside of each piece and it's made by an outfit called "Flame Master". The sealant and it's activator are both long past the stamped expiration date. Rather than take a chance it may still work beyond that date, a new batch is on the way - hopefully arriving this week!
-
Here is the tank as it currently exists:
-
-
-
Not all of the rivet holes are drilled yet, but many are.
Those that are drilled are for a 3/32" rivet (something else not available in our area) so those are on the way too!
-
~CrazyJerry~
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Nice looking metal work. I would like to learn that craft some day.

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450