Meet Ol' Sparky

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

jmott
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Meet Ol' Sparky

Post by jmott »

Excellent thank you for the link.
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

jmott wrote:Hey Ric I finally got back on the build.....

I do think I have a bit of frame twist also. After I have the rear suspension done I will build a jig to see if the front and rear are aligned.

Jason
Good Good! PM sent.
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Since the rake was increased (or decreased depending on how you define it) quite a bit, I was surprised that the trail is still about 4". What was it for the original std. GL then?
Ken
--
You can't have too many bikes
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Yes a correction is needed there it is more like 5.5+. I just didn't do it right :IDTS:
I've read some articles that had the '83 as much as 5.3? With a 29 rake?? And 1200's with a 4.5 with a 30 rake ??? :lol: :lol: Don't know.

thanks
HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

The ultimate solution might be to rake the frame out less, but then use new yokes (triple clamps) with a larger offset to reduce the trail again. Either that or use 'raked yokes' to angle the forks more and reduce the trail that way. The latter being harder to do, but can be used to greater effect.

Another way would be to use leading axle forks, but off the top of my head I can't think of any that would be suitable for the Wing.
Ken
--
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

“Another way would be to use leading axle forks, but off the top of my head I can't think of any that would be suitable for the Wing.”

It works. From a Magna, 2” internal shortened. I believe my trail is close to stock but raked 32 degrees. Zoom in to see the axle placement.
85C9FA69-A988-4EDC-949B-CEA4C146BD94.jpeg
85C9FA69-A988-4EDC-949B-CEA4C146BD94.jpeg (197.2 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

ericheath wrote:“Another way would be to use leading axle forks, but off the top of my head I can't think of any that would be suitable for the Wing.”

It works. From a Magna, 2” internal shortened. I believe my trail is close to stock but raked 32 degrees. Zoom in to see the axle placement.

85C9FA69-A988-4EDC-949B-CEA4C146BD94.jpeg
Ah, the Magna 1100. Not imported here and I don’t recall ever seeing one, so I tend to forget them. Good call though, they look really good on your bike Eric. Did you cut and re-weld the top of the frame to change the head angle?
Ken
--
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Yes, same way HOT did on Ol’ Sparky. 1000’s are slightly different.

I wonder if the Sabre would be a better candidate for a rake with slightly longer forks but axle behind center. I just had the Magna’s on hand.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi