Leaf spring rear-end!!!

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

LikeMike64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leaf spring rear-end!!!

Post by LikeMike64 »

Having the front of the engine elevated while retaining the same hight at the rear of the engine (like on that racing wing) would reduce the angle at the U-joint.
Lowering the rear of the engine while maintaining the original front hight will put a sharper angle on the U-joint of the drive-shaft.
Remember, the pivot point of the rear suspension is centered on the U-joint of the drive shaft. As that pivot point goes down (or the rear wheel goes up) the angle increases. I too am concerned about the drive shaft angle.
Mike
So many interests, so little time...

'76 GL1000: "The Super Bee" - finished.
'75 GL1000: Basket Case, Next project in queue
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

LikeMike64 wrote:Having the front of the engine elevated while retaining the same hight at the rear of the engine (like on that racing wing) would reduce the angle at the U-joint.
Lowering the rear of the engine while maintaining the original front hight will put a sharper angle on the U-joint of the drive-shaft.
Remember, the pivot point of the rear suspension is centered on the U-joint of the drive shaft. As that pivot point goes down (or the rear wheel goes up) the angle increases. I too am concerned about the drive shaft angle.
And it will only get worse when riding it. It looks to me like the bike may be a little low. Maybe with those springs though it won't move much, I don't know. I still wonder how it's going to ride with no shocks. Can't wait for a ride report.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Looking much too low to corner in the back currently, so more adjustments may be in the work. Remember, the springs just came back.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I'm guessing that we are not seeing the whole deal. For a start there has to be a solid point to bend the spring around and I don't believe that the allen screw and rubber is supposed to be it! That looks to me to be the high point of travel buffer rubber.
This would have maybe been an easier install if the frame end of the spring had been held solid and the spring used as a quarter elliptic. No need then for another bend point.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

No No NO.....she dropped when i took her off the stand......waaaaaay to low. My plans are for the drive shaft to be level at riding rest height. So that mean that the bike will be about 2 inches above where it is in that picture. Funny thing about stock, the drive shaft is really elevated at the stock position. And i know the travel wasnt THAT much! But anyhow.....the fulcrum point hasnt been installed yet....the amount of force on that spot where the spacer is, is amazing! So the appropriate amount of steel is gonna be applied and still be adjustable. But, I dont know about yall, I think it is turning out pretty dog gone good!

Here is where i think it is gonna sit-------->>>>

Cant pull the file...nxt post!
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

Gotta clean the lens on my camera huh? It has a small incline in the drive shaft but less than stock in the opposite direction.
Attachments
IMG00057-20110217-2124.jpg
IMG00057-20110217-2124.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 273 times
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Is that the ride height?
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

Pretty close Robin...but the way i am installing the fulcrum block it will be adjustable. I am gonna put multiple holes so that i have some adjustment. Got to get that center stand out of there!!! I think that will give a better idea of the height. I am not ginna use it anyway! Need one?
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Whew! you had me worried! LOL
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
LikeMike64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LikeMike64 »

sunnbobb wrote:Whew! you had me worried! LOL
Me too!!!
Mike
So many interests, so little time...

'76 GL1000: "The Super Bee" - finished.
'75 GL1000: Basket Case, Next project in queue
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

Crazy....not stuuuupid! Should get the other spring by the end of the week!!! Radiator shop is workin on the converted 4 core heater core.....should fit nicely in the tail of the bomb tank. Also, got a new, much better lookin' fan for the cooling motor. I hope to have the tank mocked up in the next couple of weeks.
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

Old Fogey.......You are right that fixed point attachment at the front of the spring would have been easier. But....with the forces involved it is better to split!!! The upward force of the spring is divided between the rear frame section and is inversely applied down at the attachment point near the swing arm pivot point. Plus the next part of the build will show why i am soooo worried about the geometry of the rear frame section. Its cuttin time!
Sacrilege84
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Sacrilege84 »

Alright....so i kept messin around with the seat pan and could never get it to look right and function properly. So i did what any sensible man or woman would do!!!!! Cut off the rear upper frame section. Right?!?

Boy it sure is alot easier to make it work now! dancr

I am going to loop the rear to cut off points together. Then i am going to run a true backbone down from the front cross member near the forks down along the topside of the frame and curve it up to mount the seat. As Emeril would say "Bam" problem solved! What do yall think about the mock up?

PS this setup should transfer the upward force created by suspension into a linear force into the cross member.....not to mention my kidneys!
Attachments
That rubber hose and copper grounding rob are for mock up only,,,,or are they? lol
That rubber hose and copper grounding rob are for mock up only,,,,or are they? lol
IMG00064-20110222-0707.jpg (157.93 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Earthquake?
Earthquake?
IMG00067-20110222-2023.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Seems like your backbone will need some cross braces to not become a suspension member, but I suspect you are way ahead of me on that. I am still trying to understand where that radiator is going...
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Ok, if I see this right. You have the hoop above the tire running from one side to the other. Thats good. In my opinion you need to from where that tube bends and goes forward. This needs to be tied in to the frame near the engine mount. At least in one location. Maybe you are going to do this. If not the load from the suspension is going to just push that pipe up and buckle it over time. Again, if I'm looking at it right.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike