Any Off the wall custom building being done to their GLs ???

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

giturgun
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Old wing

Post by giturgun »

Guess the best way to view the old wing progress is to just do a search on photo bucket type in giturgun and all my album will pop right up . Have about 45 or so photos of the wing, A
few rifles I have built and modified , Last years decent deer head and the resulting mount , 2 years ago bones on the wall . And a few other little stuff that has captured me eye throughout the journey of my life. My heavy bench rest Savage switch barrel I built has the same paint job, I need to get it refinished, went to shooting 3/8 and larger at 100 yards and was found to have the rear pillar loose again. I have both drilled out and just need to set other things aside for a few days to finish that project or just wait till winter.

That reminds me , got a new barrel coming in about 9 or 10 days to build my Nephews Savage up with. Looks like the all stop will be sounded for a day or 2
I should be able to post the link , :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/giturgun/

That should do it , I will post some more as soon as possible. I need to mount the new rear lights and tiny signals and the passenger seat behind mine. I an also working on my jockey shift and about have it worked out the way it will be. Found the neat heim type joints with threaded rod for 10 bucks for the set. I am going to have the shift set up for either hand or foot shifting by pulling one link pin and switching the cable from the hand shift lever to the bar lever , should take about 5 minutes to go from one to the other . Have to round up a few small bits and pieces first , This one will be simpler to run than any I have seen so far and hopefully it will

The bike was sprayed with a rattle can main side colors are Kamillion green to copper top of tank is mirical color change red to blue to purple
Side covers and vetter mount is red specs metal finish paint
The headlight mount and some other parts will be one of the hammered metal finish paints. probably a graty finish

[/url]
I finally decided to get back in the modersikle riding thing. My new motto is have junk will ride
I LIKE JUNK
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/giturgun/
Vern1
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Vern1 »

Greetings,
giturgun - like the look on the Wing!

Reminds me of my favorite '68 Bonney - man, I loved that bike!
Cheers,
Joe Petty
"We have heard that a million monkeys pounding on a million keyboards would eventually replicate the works of Shakespeare. Now thanks to Internet Forums, we know this is not true."
choppercrue
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

My Lola has some character

Post by choppercrue »

I've been working on an 1981 GL1100 for the last couple months, when I got her she had been chopped to bare bones, made into a rigid, 21" apes & a fatbob tank, stock wheel & forks & eng of course. No key just a small bank of toggles for kill switch, lights, fan & elec start. I did make it a jockey shift though, which is working pretty well. The rigid shaft drive really hooks up. I'm new the forum so I will post more so that I can post an avatar.
81 GL1100 Chopped Rigid Wing
84 Yamaha RZ350 Red/White scheme
"You can't buy cool, You have to build it"
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Ted, congrats. Tell her "there are 2 things in life that are never finished - A man's house, and a man's bike".
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
LarryG
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

New Fairing

Post by LarryG »

I have this idea...I'm trying to find an idea for mounting up a modified Honda fairing. Let me explain and maybe one of you guys with all the cool mods can help me with this.

When I got my bike, the fairing was attached and wobbled all over the place. Upon inspection I discovered the whole bottom where it mounted to the frame was just disintegrated. So I removed it completely and now have a windshield. I really didn't like the way that the fairing is attached to the 83 Aspencade anyway, for a couple of reasons.

#1 is the fact that riding the bike is like playing a video game...the fairing just slides right and left. I prefer something attached to the forks that actually moves with the wheel in the turn, like the Harley Batwing idea. Just my personal riding preference.

#2...Geez...when I took that thing off, the whole bike just shuddered in relief from all that weight on the front end. Now I know they were designed that way, and a whole bunch of people will chime in about the audacity of me thinking my ideas are better than the Honda engineers..WELL...I don't. so chill...:):) I just personally want less weight on the front end, and that BOAT ANCHOR of a 90lb. fairing bugs me.

Anyways...here's my idea...and maybe one of you guys who live by this rule that I read somewhere can hellp me:
"Those that claim it can't be done....shouldn't DISTURB those that are DOING IT"...or something to that effect :)

I want to take my existing fairing, GUT it of all but it's fiberglass outer shell and then cut it to a more pleasing shape to MY eye..push it back 6 inches toward the rear of the bike, and then either fiberglass in some mounts or?? find some way to securely mount it to the forks. I've seen it done on the new Harley Sportsters and it looks pretty cool...and light.

By the rendering in my head it will look something like this...Could any of you guys toss some ideas my way?

THANKS!!
[size=117][b]LarryG[/b][/size]

[color=red][i][size=84][b]===N o t h i n b u t t a i l l i g h t s ! ! ![/size][/b][/i][/color]
83 GL1100A
79 GL1000
97 VF750C Magna
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

That looks fairly easy to mount to me. Would you have it turn with the forks or mount solid?
You might get some ideas looking at the early Vetter mounts, they were pretty solid and adaptable.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
LarryG
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by LarryG »

Yes, that's what I had in mind, having it turn with the forks. Something light that would block the wind, conceal my digital dash a little, house my turn signals, windshield, and mirrors, and look professionally done. That's about it, just a shell really.

I don't want all the Radio, Clock, Cassette player, Pockets, Voltmeter, Television, Dishwasher, Garbage Disposal that's mounted on the fairing now.
[size=117][b]LarryG[/b][/size]

[color=red][i][size=84][b]===N o t h i n b u t t a i l l i g h t s ! ! ![/size][/b][/i][/color]
83 GL1100A
79 GL1000
97 VF750C Magna
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

I like your idea. I did something similar, but I started with a 1970's era aftermarket fairing. I had to glass new supports inside, and make a short windsheild, but I like the way it turned out.

Take a look at:

http://http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWin ... otoID=3551

If this does not work, please let me know. I am having web issues tonight! Or take a look at my new avatar.

I have thought of chopping an Interstate's fairing just like you describe, and dropping the trunk. I would like smaller bags too, or at least get rid of the horizontal line of the lights as seen from the back. Lightweight is nice!

I think you are headed in a good direction!
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i like your idea too. just start cutting it up til you get the shape you want. then do what ever it takes to mount it. don't think i've seen it done that way before...so all the more reason to go for it
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

That does look like it would be a good mount. I'm with you on the fork mounted fairing. I tried one with a frame mount and felt very disconnected with the bike. Some folks love em though.

1978 Learning Experience
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

my only problem with fork mounting is the wind at speed can effect steering input. have seen them even create a wobble under some situations
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

I can see a fork mounted fairing creating wobble,and I am sure that some do.

On the other hand, mine actually seems to make my bike more stable at speed. That flutter at 95 from the front fender is gone now, and the front end does not get light at 115. I don't know what it does at any speed above that!
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
rigidwing
Brass Member
Brass Member

my Chopped 1978 GL with 99 valk motor

Post by rigidwing »

78valkwing ,84Gl1200, 72 cb350,2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
BIG T
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ustom_wing

Post by BIG T »

nice...keep us posted...T
please donate to keep this site alive.

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Here's a custom Valk:

1978 Learning Experience