Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Schizoid, a little paint

Post by ericheath »

Took it for 70 miles at higher speeds today. It cruises awesome except monoshock which is too stiff. Seven settings on the monoshock but all stiffer. To pass a semi at 75mph, just give it a little gas and it climbs to 85-90 in a blink in fifth gear. This has tons of torque all over the rpm range. Mileage was low 40's. About 3000 rpm at 60mph, 4000rpm is 80mph.

Anyone know any ways to reduce stiffness of monoshock?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
wingless1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Schizoid, a little paint

Post by wingless1 »

you could change the springs, but that 109 is a lot heavier bike, so the damping would still be off-maybe a diff shock off something lighter if you don't have someone handy to shuffle some shims around. You sound like you could do it yourself-have had my dirtbike suspension apart and there really isn't much in there to screw up as long as you're careful and organised.
1975 GL1000, '13 beta 300rr, '? ct110, '82 kz440ltd, '84 vf750f, cm185t
gone and missed: xs650, cb650sc, ts400, drz400s
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

Post by ericheath »

A little write-up on the ignition change now that I've had some seat time. I have been unhappy with the color of my plugs, a little sooty rich, not bad, but not what you want. So I bumped air jets up. It helped a little, but still not quite right. Played with different fuel jets, washers, holes in the slides, etc. PowerArc and C5 recommend reducing the spark plug gap a little to ensure all three sparks jump especially on higher compression engines. Not sold on the three sparks yet, but what do I know?? I love the ignition, starts instantly, idles steady, doesn't seem to miss a beat. Yesterday I decided to open my plug gap up a little from the 0.025" I had set them at. I went to 0.029" and the plugs now look great. I can't say it has done anything better for performance or not.

To refresh memories, I also bumped compression by shaving the heads 0.025" and used thinner copper gaskets at 0.030". I also went with a 1200 swingarm with a 1500 final drive and wheel for better road gearing from the 3.40 of the 1000 to 2.83 of the 1500. I also haves shimmed the cams so they are advanced about 2 degrees at the crank.

Results are that it still can spin the rear tire. With the 1000 you shifted to second quite a bit faster I think, but it's still pretty good. Hit it before you're back to upright from a curve and it can get loose real fast. But the big difference is in bottom end torque. It seems to pull real hard from 4000-7500. I can ride around in fifth gear in traffic as long as I have a little load on it, it runs great and responds to throttle well from 1500 rpm- not full acceleration of course, but great city driving manners.

I used 91-93 octane at first but have run three tanks of regular 87 and it doesn't seem to matter.

The only other change of "note" is the exhaust note. I have the same HD mufflers (not sure which model, but have the holes for crossover pipes) which are welded to the headers. They had a pinhole on each side so I buzzed them shut, but the sound of the bike is waaay different than I remember. It sounds more like a tractor now at low to mid rpm. Can ignition change the sound that much?? Anyone with C5 notice a change in sound?

Edit 6/10/17
It needs premium gas or it starts firing too early at high rpm. Anyone who gets crazy and decides to do the 1000 heads on a 1200 block needs to see this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63292

If you're going to shave the heads, you'll need to take some off the pistons or open the chamber of the head to 76mm from 72mm. Failure to do so could result in piston to head contact at high rpm as evidenced in the above thread.
Last edited by ericheath on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

My exhaust note sounds the same
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Glad to hear it is all working out. Lots of effort indeed. Regarding the plug gap, we have an old Ford yard truck that dates back to prehistory. Plugs are hard to find for these and running it at a crawl day after day, combined with the condition of the engine, really carbons up the plugs in a hurry. Our mechanic gaps them wide to maximize the duration and/or intensity of the spark. It seems to work.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I took my bike for a safety inspection. Required here for new owners or new residents. First thing he does is put on his helmet and take it for a spin. He came back and said I need better brakes. He said," I took it up to 100 to 115 and pulled the brake, no real stopping power and your lever pulls to the bar."
My eyes got a little big and said, "At 100-115?"
He looked down at the speedo and said, "Oh, that's mph."
Nice guy who apparently knows bikes. I have a list of fixable items and I should be good to go. He said he took his hands off the bars at 100 and it went straight as an arrow. First guy to ride my bike and he took it faster than me.

My front brake still had air in the line, I've got it rock solid right now, but he's making me put the second rotor/caliper back on--- which isn't a bad idea anyways.

I think I'll have to run to the border to get brake pads, and hopefully a brake line. It takes a week for anything here, not much kept in stock anymore and they charge considerably more anyway. Good chance to see the grandson.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

If that speed is kilometers O.K. If its mph I'm afraid I'd have to have a conversation with this guy using my fists
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Being in Canada, he assumed it was kph. All I'll say is he must be confident in his abilities to take a strangers bike like that.

On a positive note, digging through my " hoard" I found enough pads and a brake line. Just need a double banjo bolt to wrap up the brakes. Still need DOT turn signals in the back and fastening my fuel filter and line down better. Also a better battery strap. I guess rope is unacceptable.:)
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I have been ordering my stainless brake lines from a Canadian company. Like their price and product and I can usually get them all the way down here in South Texas in a week. They hand carry them across and ship out of Niagra Falls. If you want I can track down contact information.
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Passed my safety inspection-----phew!! Not that it didn't come with my usual trials. Went out this morning for a final check, right turn signal? Yep emergency flashers on my bike. Sorted that out, put it together--- no running light, sorted that out, put it back together-- no neutral light---- aaaaarhhgh!! Didn't stop there though. I drove it 30 miles to the guy and he's not there: just me and his three pitbulls. I got bitten at age five and haven't done well with dogs--ever--until old Ceasar the dog whisper's show. Since then I've really grown to like them. However, it is hard not to look at a pitbull (or three) when he's barking at you. Luckily they just sampled my leg with a few licks, must not have liked the taste. Phew!!! Two of them were as muscular looking pit bulls as I've ever seen. Next time I'm bringing treats.

This winter I'll have to see if I can make my own wiring harness.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Congratulations.
Bikes at present:

HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

ericheath wrote:Passed my safety inspection
action1 action1 action1 anim-cheers1

I'd have to take up roller skating if it was that hard here. Good job. tumb2

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Got in plenty of seat time now. Got up this morning and decided to go old school for awhile and extend the forks. Also put some dogbone extensions to out the bars back so I could sit up more.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (188.59 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Put on about five miles and didn't like it so back down it came.

About the ignition system: I have Power Arc, close to the same as C5. Now that I've ridden awhile and have my carbs pretty well dialed in, I have to say I think it gives you waaaaaaay better bottom end performance. In traffic I can be in fifth gear and lug this baby along with traffic with surprisingly good acceleration. I know conventional wisdom says not to lug these engines. Question: Is this due to ignition timing? With this ignition your timing is all based on rpm, so at 1500 rpm your spark advance is fairly low(25degrees) and I could pick different curves to make it lower. My ears are audibly challenged, but I don't hear any pinging if I do this. I know what it sounds like in an automobile as my dad always advanced it a little for better mileage. He taught us to listen and never get on it for any length of time and take it easy on the uphills. Is there a different danger to the motor than pinging when riding like this?

I started running premium but have gone to straight 87 now. I don't hear any pinging or popping of the valves. My mileage has been in the mid 30's around town and low 40's on the highway. Last year with the 1000 final drive, I was in the upper 20's in the city and usually around 35 on the highway.

Winnipeg is a very slow speed city compared to the rest of the world. Much of the city is 50-60kph, 31-37mph. Some spots are 70 and a few 80kph. So I don't get to open her up much and if I do, it may cost me.

I still get asked if it's a BMW and I still answer that it's a Porshe.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

ericheath wrote:About the ignition system: I have Power Arc, close to the same as C5.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:popcornx2
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

In profile with the extended forks it reminds me of the old "Mustangs" from the '60s. If you don't remember them they were a kind of cross between a motorcycle and a scooter with smaller wheels but a big (relatively) engine and a kind of bobber look. Glad to see your out and about. And don't be offended at the mention of scooter, no one will mistake your bike for a scooter.
Bikes at present: