Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

Post by Easter »

Painted and everything!! Congratulations on BTM. This has been one of the more interesting and informative builds to follow.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by brianinpa »

Congrats Eric. Well deserved!
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by sparkyrasmus »

I was up in your fair city a month ago. Wish I had paid attention to fellow NGW'ers, we could have had a ride.
Beautiful work, and a great deal of thought and labor.
Goldwings don't accelerate, they gain inertia.

1978 GL1000 - almost stock - needs a head replaced, parts are ready to install!
1979 GL1000 - Winter project/parts bike - custom "Busted"
1983 GL1100 Standard- raised from the dead and back to organ donor status :cry:
And the newest acquisition, 1979 XS 650F to be a sidecar tug. crossy.gif
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

That would have been fun, Sparky.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Got a couple nice rides in today as it was around 65 here today. Uphill against an st1100 I pulled steadily ahead of him. Time to put it in mothballs. Leaving next Saturday for warmer climate until the end of March. Yesterday we went fishing, I don't think I've ever gone in a boat in November. It was beautiful. My wife snagged a sturgeon with 12 lb test. She yelled at me and I took her pole and quickly concluded she just had old Mother Earth and laughed. As I handed her the rod back, it gave a pull. The old pro that takes us said, "That's a sturgeon." He came over and got it untangled from the anchor and then told me to pull the anchor. The fish took us around the little backwater bay for around 30 minutes, 2 or 3 laps. He said we'd never land it but maybe we'd get a look. Finally surfaced and we able to get the net over its head, and the pro grabbed it by the tail. We got it in for a couple quick pics before getting it back in the water. It was 56-1/2" long which according to online sources puts it in the 55-65lb category. An amazing primitive fish. If she hadn't snagged it in the middle rear, I really doubt we'd have even gotten a look at it. Biggest freshwater fish I've ever seen.
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG (188.64 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Attachments
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG (214 KiB) Viewed 249 times
IMG_0827.PNG
IMG_0827.PNG (714.96 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Whoa !!! Holy Carp! :lol: action1 action1 action1
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

action1 action1 Great picture,...and looks like great fun
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Congrats to both of you, quite a fish for stories to come. Have a good winter. Did you say Philippines?
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Yes, Philippines. Hopefully all winter, but there's a real political shift occurring there from their Pres. He's anti-West. Has a lot of hallmarks of a dictator setting himself up.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Should be sleeping, gotta get up at 2:00 for a trip. I tried some DPR7EA plugs, one step hotter. So far so good. It was 70 degrees Wednesday. But today she went into mothballs. Shoot! Just remembered I left the battery hooked up. I'll have to do that before I leave. I will probably keep these in until we see 85-90 degrees again. I also regapped the plugs to 0.027" and to my surprise it now pulls to 9k with the highest curve of Powerarc set for a cb750. With DPR8EA plugs it acted like a rev limiter at 7500 rpm. I never tried the 8's at 0.27 or smaller. The highest curve has advance programmed at 42degrees advance at 5000 rpm. It may just need a little more lead saturation time at 7500.

I need to get the cable where I can change the timing curves, about $130 I think.

For next spring I hope to find a lighter monoshock than my M109. With the pro link setup, it has halved my travel, but made it too stiff. Hope I can find one that can work without modifications other than shims. I checked my seat height and I'm at 27" now. Sure is nice when you need to move it.

I'm kinda hoping to try a set of small progressive two barrels similar to Webers as HOTT is doing. If I don't spend too much money this winter, maybe I'll just go with Webers.

Also hoping to make a four-into-one exhaust.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Here are the top two curves. You can see the saturation time is the same for both, but there is 4 degrees more advance. Note the scale makes a big jump to fit it on one page. Each solid line is 5 degrees and then at 60 degrees lead time, it jumps to where each box is 40 degrees, and eight-fold increase.
IMG_0850.PNG
IMG_0850.PNG (136.75 KiB) Viewed 200 times
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Well, after flirting with impending doom again, I removed the monoshock and links and installed 1100 shocks. My butt appreciates them A LOT more.

Looking at my disaster and trying to figure out why it failed, it was extremely stiff, which I thought was due to the monoshock coming from a much heavier bike, but should have been a hint sumting wong. ( Suzuki M109) I think I might have missed a pretty important understanding of how it works. Tossing this out to the engineering types (AKA farmers) as to whether I'm right or wrong on this.

I should start by saying I had the monoshock on with a direct setup, no links, but despite riding great, it had a lot of travel and wear on the u-joint which concerned me. So I bought the links to limit the travel.

Below is a pic of the monoshock on an M109. The shock is horizontal. Note where the moving pieces are: the moving parts of the bike ( the swingarm and the shock) are on the two ends of the link. Mine in the lower pics shows the shock on the same end of the link, but I attached the moving swingarm to the middle attachment of the yoke. And the third point attached to the frame.
IMG_1657.PNG
IMG_1657.PNG (492.52 KiB) Viewed 163 times
IMG_1659.PNG
IMG_1659.PNG (866.36 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Edit, 7/10/17. Note the angle differences from the M109 pics and mine. The m109 looks to be about 60 degrees while mine is about 45 degrees. Once it hits the 45 degree mark, it is going to pull straight through the links onto the lower frame. I could maybe get it work if I mounted the swingarm lower.

Although mine worked as allowing a little cushion, I think the two moving parts were pulling against the stationary part rather than pivoting around the center.

I'm aware of what kind of grade I get for this assignment, just putting it out there for others to learn from my mistake.
Last edited by ericheath on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

You may recall I started a cb750 with a monoshock set up. Mounted the shock without the link and it seems like it will function but too earrly to tell and I don't know whene I will get back to it but you have stirred my curiosity.
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I found other examples of mounting points like mine, but it looks to me like mine goes up about 3" and then everything is lined up to pull in a straight line right on the frame.

My welder friend thought I may have gotten the cross tube too hot and it crystallized. I didn't quick cool anything.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Back up and running for about a week. New copper gaskets that are 0.042" thick, about 0.012" thicker than the old ones. This time I tried to be pretty analy anal about cleaning things up. I found Robins PMs to me from a year ago about how to apply the Aviation Sealant. (I looked for them before but couldn't find them) I think part of my problem was putting it on too thick. This time I thinned the solution with alcohol and put it on as even as I could. I found some info which suggested using a plastic spatula to spread it evenly and thin. My last attempt I put the Sealant on the block, head, and both surfaces of the gasket. What a mess inside the combustion chamber and could have been my problem. I put my older head back on (the one I thought must have been cracked) which was machined the same thickness back on.

I have 150 miles on now with no leaks and coolant level not changing.

However, I am back to a bog at 7k in first gear and 7500 in second gear. Haven't been anywhere I dare find out about third gear.

It almost feels like one cylinder begins to miss at 7k. It's still pulling but noticeably less. At 7.5k it's like a rev limiter again. At first I though maybe I got some bum 91 octane. I found a station yesterday with 94 and tried it with the same results. If anything, I should need less octane with the thicker gaskets.

I'm wondering (hoping) if I haven't got a bad plug. I looked them over and cannot see any cracks or evidences of leaks through the porcelain. They're gapped at 0.025" which is recommended with this ignition. Will see if I can't get some new plugs today.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces