For lack of a better name...GL1100 FIT build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: For lack of a better name...GL1100 FIT build

Post by ericheath »

ICB, who did you get the stainless rings from?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

got the rings here:
http://www.headgasket.com/whnew.html

and a quick note on the head studs...it seems that the countersink for the collars is deeper on one side than the other. The threads don't start until deeper in the block on the left side. So now i've got to order two longer studs. If anyone is planning to do studs you may end up having to do some exchanges/test fitting on those.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Good to know on the studs....haven't ordered mine yet, but planned on it in the next couple months. I will have to take a peek at the 1200 block, and see if it is any different.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
rainstromrider
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rainstromrider »

Fun to watch anim-cheers1

Daily rider...
2012 Concours 1400
Projects...
81 1100 "Bones" (Stripped!)
Maintain...
Dad's 86 1200 Aspencade (my fee is being able to ride it whenever)
Uncle's 76 1000 (for sale)

irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Well it's alive! Needs some tune adjustment since I was essentially trying to tune out a bad headgasket, but it runs. I should have one of the older tune files saved somewhere.

Need to shim the lower right side of the radiator because the new tensioner pulley is rubbing.

Was nice to finally see it out in the sunlight again, may even get a chance to ride it before I leave for vacation next week.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Very cool! Do you recall how many mm the stainless rings were for your 1100? Were they a bit larger diameter than the head gasket diameter?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Congratulations.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Running well, found the last good tune I was using on a long ride in FL and took it around the parking lot. Though I think the battery didn't like sitting for almost 6months with no tender, atleast I hope it's that and not the starter. Charged overnight last night and showed a full charge, but after one or two starts the starter is sluggish to turn over.

Will order a new battery for when I get home from vacation.

ericheath wrote:Very cool! Do you recall how many mm the stainless rings were for your 1100? Were they a bit larger diameter than the head gasket diameter?
A bit larger than the gasket bore that I measured to be 76.36mm. That is the measurement I sent and he said they'd be "slightly larger".
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Hate to pester, but was the gasket bore 76.36, or the ring? I figured, it would be a tad larger but your photo makes them look almost the same.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

My starter was turning slow for awhile also, but responded well to what was basically a poor-boy rebuild (clean n lube, no new parts).
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

ericheath wrote:Hate to pester, but was the gasket bore 76.36, or the ring? I figured, it would be a tad larger but your photo makes them look almost the same.
No bother at all, that's why we're here right?

I spent a few days checking and rechecking my measurements before I settled on 76.36 as the gasket bore on the copper gasket.

The rings are not noticeably larger than the gasket bore. I wish I would've taken a picture after the initial torque down when i realized the studs were too short. The marks from the serrated edge on the rings were visible on the copper...I would guesstimate a half millimeter or less from the edge of the gasket bore? I tried my best to line it up perfect but it was slightly off center, which I assume is due to the slight difference in size. Even being a bit off center both edges were visible around the entire bore so I know there was no overhang.

It's a lot of extra work to go with copper head gaskets, unless you're planning to build a high HP engine I don't know that it'd be worth the hassle. Also copper gaskets are only available at certain thicknesses, which may change the compression a bit. For me it worked out ok because it was slightly thicker(I don't have the numbers handy)than an oem replacement (vesrah) gasket, and since I've got the turbo a bit lower compression won't hurt. It may only be a small percentage change, but on a NA motor it could make a difference.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Thanks ICB, glad you got yours running again. One other plus to the copper is that they're reusable, but probably more difficult to get sealed. I have a turbo waiting in the wings. Not sure if it will ever get put on or not. I should just sell it and by a supercharger. I am flirting with another build with higher compression. But if a few more builds like yours, Socrace, Casper and jbz, get up and running, it would be fun to attempt the FI. It appears to be a pretty good investment of time and dollars, but once done, it's probably less work in the long run.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Just got back from vacation and its been raining here, but figured I'd let the bikes run a bit. Here's a short video of the turbo wing...I wish you all could hear it in person! I suggest headphones for the best experience.

HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Ahhhhh... Twist Music :orange
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

That be very nice, thanks for the post icb.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper