Milling Swing Arm Bolts. 83 Swing Arm - 79 Frame.

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Magna7
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Milling Swing Arm Bolts. 83 Swing Arm - 79 Frame.

Post by Magna7 »

I have finaly been able to go back to work on the 79. I got my yoke changed on my shaft. Now trying to install the 83 swing arm on the 79 frame. I know I need to take a small amount of material from the frame and turn my pivot bolts down just a little. There was a pdf on this some where and I am wondering if it was correct. Also for some reason I can no longer find it.

Also working my engine and would like to know about heads and cams. I will be ridding this bike on long trips So nto not over do it. I still would like better performance over the stock 79 power. I am happy with the power of my 83 Gl1100 but if I can get better then that with the 79 power plant Im all ears. I plan on going with the duel IDF 40 Webbers on this bike. I have changed my gearing to that of an 83 as well.
My Goal: 79 GL1000
500lbs
100 H.P. NA
joedrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Milling Swing Arm Bolts. 83 Swing Arm - 79 Frame.

Post by joedrum »

gee ...ive done this ....the reality is ...it might not take nything from from swing arm ...it mostly fits as is ...its a matter of line up on centerline really ..id try it first on swing arm befor going after it ..what ever dose need to come off is slight .....hmmm I not sure I have it either pdf file ...if you 1100 swing arm bolt you just make the 1000 like the 1100 end .....then there the shock mount to deal with ...no biggy but short ...it can be taken off and redone or moded without taking off ....

with the 83 gearing im assuming seconday reduction unit too it will be geared exactly like 83 1100

early cams will do great on the 79 with the webers I bet ....75-77yr there the most aggressive cams ...the 79 motor short block is muck better than earlier yrs ...pm me if you want more info
1979 1000
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Here's the info. you were most likely looking for.

I believe Joe and I have agreed before that no material should be removed from the frame and inserts, as this tutorial would have you do. Remove the extra width from the swingarm tube ends to fit it into the GL1000 frame, instead.

You don't want to weaken the flange on the insert (pivot nut). :IDTS:

http://www.classicwingclub.org/frankspa ... ingarm.pdf
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Magna7
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Magna7 »

That was what I was looking for. But you guys say do not do this process this way. Would this be better or can I do it this way instead: Remove material from the 1100 swing arm and use the bearing from the 1000 swingarm and use the pivot bolts from the 1000 swing arm? Will the 1000 swing arm bearing work at all in the 1100 swing arm or do I need to modify here as well?
500lbs
100 H.P. NA
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

The GL1100 swingarm employs a tapered roller bearing and bearing cup on either side.
No way will the GL1000 bearing work in the 1100 swingarm.

Modifying the 1000 pivot bolts as described in the tutorial is on the right track.

the main reason I don't like modifying the pivot nut flange thickness is that when you tighten the pivot bolts to remove the end play of the tapered roller bearings, that end loads the pivot nuts, and their respective indexing flanges could fracture. Then, you can figure out what may be the undesireable end results.

Although I haven't done so, I have considered tacking the pivot bolt locknuts to their adjacent frame surface, as well, could possibly, add additional security against such an occurance happening.

You can kinda sorta see how I adapted a CB900 Custom swingarm-- almost identical to a GL1100 swingarm-- into my GL1000 trike project thread. My trike's torsional loading of the swingarm retaining/adjusting pivot nuts and modified pivot bolts is far greater than a stock swingarm encounters.

Note: this information is not an endorsement of another party's methods, nor mine, to modify the stock GL1000 rear suspension. You are doing so at your own risk.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Magna7
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Magna7 »

After looking hard at both the frame and swing arm I have a quick question. How are the thread inserts for the swing arm bolts (pins) attached to the frame? Are they pressed in or tack welded or ?

Also I seen some one post about 82 Gl1100 having the same forks as an 83. is this true and would they be identical with the brace and Tru Trac badging?
500lbs
100 H.P. NA
Magna7
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Magna7 »

gltriker wrote:Here's the info. you were most likely looking for.

I believe Joe and I have agreed before that no material should be removed from the frame and inserts, as this tutorial would have you do. Remove the extra width from the swingarm tube ends to fit it into the GL1000 frame, instead.

You don't want to weaken the flange on the insert (pivot nut). :IDTS:

http://www.classicwingclub.org/frankspa ... ingarm.pdf
Yes there is no way I will remove material from the insert. If it was possible to take the insert out and grind the frame I would prefer to do that instead. There is enough material though on the swing arm to remove what I need.
500lbs
100 H.P. NA
Magna7
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Magna7 »

Quick question. After changing the yoke on the drive shaft should I take it and get it balanced? If so who can balance one?
500lbs
100 H.P. NA
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Can anyone provide a link to that PDF that still works?
Ken
--
You can't have too many bikes
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

I just put an 1100 swingarm into a 1000 frame and I couldn't even get it to slide in there without thinning the pivot nuts and the anti-rotation ears on the inside of the frame as the pdf directed. I had to make them about half-normal thickness. There's really no tension beyond the bearing preload, so it will probably be fine...
The pivot nuts just slide out, so you could deepen the slots a little with a file without thinning them, but that's an awkward spot to file, and you run down to the frame member pretty quick, so you wouldn't get much.
There's not a lot of material on the swingarm to remove, but I suppose you could get a little space that way.
I have a copy of the pdf, but no way to post it.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
BiKenG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BiKenG »

Ok thanks. That's the one I already have. Thought it might have been something different.
Ken
--
You can't have too many bikes
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That is the only one I have seen
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!