*Accident Repairs / Fork Swap* 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: *Accident Repairs / Fork Swap* 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

Post by Hanslehoff »

bigscheaf wrote:But seriously, she's looking better than ever. Excellent attention to detail.
DUGG wrote:Ya know Hanslehoff your making the rest of us look bad.
CYBORG wrote:I love it!!!
codyjames707 wrote:Bad dude! I love the subtle silver and gold going from the front to the back, especially with a bike that has a lot of black and red. Good way to make it all pop!
desertrefugee wrote:Wow.
Thanks fellas! I'm sure things will continue to evolve but I'm very pleased with how everything is turning out. Eventually I'd like to build a full custom stainless exhaust with a box similar to the units made for the CX500's
dfe4f6bede80fdaa365b6805b23a2646.jpg
dfe4f6bede80fdaa365b6805b23a2646.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 360 times
The box would sit in front of the rear tire where the center stand would usually be and would have an exit out either side. I like the idea of how it would look but right now that far exceeds my fabrication know how. I may buy a kit over the winter and play around with tacking it up
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

That would be cool.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Got my fixed engine covers back from the powder coater and reassembled the bike. I was ashamed to admit, but the bike fell off the jack onto the garage floor a few weeks back which caused some cosmetic damage that I’ve had to fix. It’s actually what led me to removing the valve cover and discovering the PC issue in the first place.

I ran the bike once after it fell and noticed it was leaking gas from somewhere in the carb rack (carbs were completely rebuilt 4 years ago by Honda and this hadn’t happened before). It looked like it was running along the bottom of the plenum and dripping off the bottom of the front right carb above the coolant and thermostat sensors. I assumed the fall might have knocked a float out of wack, so while I was waiting for my engine covers I pulled the carbs and cleaned them all up, checked the floats etc. Everything seemed ok so I put them back on but unfortunately when I started it today it was still leaking.

The leak seems to lessen when I rev the bike, but it’s a constant drip at idle. I’m going to pull the rack again over the weekend, what should I be looking for? Split the carbs from the plenum and check all the orings in between? Other than removing and reinstalling I don’t have much experience with the carbs
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

ericheath wrote:Not likely. Check and reset floats? Better yet, do a check on the bike. Turn off fuel, Remove caps and slides, dry every thing off, turn fuel on and watch where the fuel comes from first. If it’s from the brass tube the needle fits in, it’s a leaky or maladjusted float. If it’s from the plenum side of the carb it’s either plenum seal or carb-to-plenum seal.
Here's a good process for checking where the leak may be coming from. Eric also had a check using a piece of paper on the floor of the plenum, but I didn't find that one...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Track T 2411 wrote: Here's a good process for checking where the leak may be coming from. Eric also had a check using a piece of paper on the floor of the plenum, but I didn't find that one...
Do I need to turn the bike over with the kill switch off to get fuel flowing from the pump for this test? If I just turn the petcock on nothing leaks or drips...
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Yes, if there's no fuel flow...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Gave these tests a shot and it seems to be leaking from the plenum to carb joint on the front right carb. Maybe falling over shook things enough to open it up a bit. Float pins are clean and look great and I checked the float levels, so I don’t think that’s the problem. The float itself in that same front right carb has some discoloration on it and I’m not sure what would cause it or if I should be concerned:
38C2837B-196F-48B6-8E73-46350C886E9F.jpeg
38C2837B-196F-48B6-8E73-46350C886E9F.jpeg (163.69 KiB) Viewed 287 times
I’m going to order the plenum, plenum to carb and intake orings as well as the float gaskets and then put it all together and keep my fingers crossed. Anything else I should look at while I’m at it? Jets, floats, needles, etc were all replaced with oem 4 years ago and look new still.
Last edited by Hanslehoff on Sun May 19, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

my floats looked like that when I tore my carbs down on my 76. I very carefully cleaned them off with carb cleaner and a brass bristle brush.
Knocvk on wood the bike started and ran after I installed them.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

5speed wrote:my floats looked like that when I tore my carbs down on my 76. I very carefully cleaned them off with carb cleaner and a brass bristle brush.
Knocvk on wood the bike started and ran after I installed them.
I’ll do that, they should clean up fine I think. I had a hard time trying to source replacement plenum gaskets and the various o-orings I think need to be replaced to stop the leak. My local Honda dealer wanted an outrageous amount and some of them (like the plenum to carb) were only available if I bought a full kit for each carb. In the end I decided on Randakk’s master rebuild kit and will just hold onto the spares I don’t need right now. Will take a little longer to arrive but at least I know what I’m getting.

What should have been a quick fork seal change and then back on the road has turned into quite the ordeal :IDTS:
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Update: The Randakk rebuild kit came in (excellent product and packaging) and I got the carbs all cleaned up. I replaced all the orings and gaskets that came with the kit and put them back on...no leaks! So everything has been working great, running and ridding really strong right now.

But my kill switch fell apart :roll: I rebuilt both the hand controls a couple years ago and I know there is a small clip that goes on the bottom of the kill switch peg to hold it in place. The switch pulled out the other day and the little ball bearing disappeared to lord knows where. Pulled the switch apart, shook it, lifted some wires etc and the clip was no where to be found. Do they make replacements at all or is my only option to source a complete right hand control from a 75 and steal the switch?
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

(New picture to get views and possibly help on my question above dancr )
0AB2272C-DFBE-4107-8450-789E2AF5E2E9.jpeg
0AB2272C-DFBE-4107-8450-789E2AF5E2E9.jpeg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Maybe this source? Not the cheap way though.

https://4into1.com/genuine-honda-thrott ... 550-cb750/

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

I will take a look for my 77 switch...I know it was broke out to put a different button on it, but the kill switch was still intact. If I can find it, it is yours for shipping.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

wingrider wrote:I will take a look for my 77 switch...I know it was broke out to put a different button on it, but the kill switch was still intact. If I can find it, it is yours for shipping.
That would be amazing! action1
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

Wow! That's unfortunate. I haven't heard of THAT part being sold seperately... If you're looking for something new, typing in the cb750 killswitch will be the same wiring as the GL1000. Good luck!
1977 Gl1000 DARKGREEN-WING
BOTM April, 2018
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59710