Just another bobber build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: Just another bobber build

Post by Hamp »

robin1731 wrote:A lot of 1000's have 1100 carbs on them. The one in avatar does. Not optimal performance but they work ok for normal everyday riding.
Better to be rich than lean, eh? :) Im not looking to go to the drag strip/track; that is what the Aprilia is for. This bike will be for cruising and maybe going on a few poker runs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Riding is life" -me

1981 Honda Goldwing bobber "Wang"
& a few other toys
jasonridin
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by jasonridin »

Did you have to rejet the carbs with the straight pipes? I also have an 1100 straight piped and a different air filter setup, having trouble getting it to run correctly. These carbs are not easy to work with from a jetting/needle adjustment standpoint.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

jasonridin wrote:Did you have to rejet the carbs with the straight pipes? I also have an 1100 straight piped and a different air filter setup, having trouble getting it to run correctly. These carbs are not easy to work with from a jetting/needle adjustment standpoint.
Most people have found that changing the exhaust has little effect on carb jetting, but changes to the intake side are much more noticeable.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Hamp wrote:Possibly found a gl1000 donor bike
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/6025721754.html
Could I use my 1100 carbs? I already bought the carb kit and hate double purchasing :/
Maybe I misunderstood or maybe you haven't bought this GL1000 but are you asking if you can use the 1100 carbs on the 1000 engine (and not the other way around)?
I used a set of 1000 carbs for a period of time on an 1100 I was refurbishing. Didn't have it running long because the carbs belonged to another bike I was building but it seemed to run just fine, it may have been down on power but I couldn't tell it without some direct comparison of before and after.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: