Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

Post by propav8r »

robin1731 wrote:The 1500 manifolds are a lot smaller I.D. than stock 1000 manifolds. So even if they bolt on there will be a big step from the 1500 manifolds to the 1000 intake ports. It will do weird things to the intake charge. ;)

I can always port match them if there's enough meat. I figured for $13, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, I'll just use a Empi VW type 3/4 intake manifold and extend the runners to the stock elbows, and put the injectors out there.

I thought about using a 1200 EFI plenum, but damn, those things are ugly and cluttered.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

It's been awhile since I had a 6 cylinder head in my hand and I don't have a manifold handy but as I recall it is a good amount smaller. Not enough material to match them.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Got the rebuilt clutch in a couple days ago. Broke one lifter plate (oops) but I had a spare motor, so I just robbed another from there. New frictions, steels, and heavy duty springs. Works like a champ...I didn't realize quite how badly the old clutch was slipping.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Just checking in...the bike is still running great! I rolled 70k a couple weeks ago, which brings me just shy of putting 20k miles on the bike since I finished the rebuild. It's been a lot of fun!

While sitting at a stoplight with the bike idling the other day, a terrible noise and vibration came out of nowhere...it was almost like a harmonic growl that vibrated the whole bike. Almost sounded like a chair scraping across a floor. I immediately shut the bike off. I did not notice the oil pressure light flicker or come on with the noise.

I restarted the bike and it made the sound for about a second, and then it stopped.

I rode the last 40 or so miles home without incident. Once I got home, I figured I'd change the oil since it was time anyway. The oil that came out was dirty, but didn't have any metal in it, so that eased my mind a bit.

After some more troubleshooting, I tracked it to a bad right-side timing belt idler. When I put this bike together, I did the Hyundai tensioner roller mod. One of them appeared to have slung out some of it's grease, and would occasionally make noise and grind. Glad I caught it before it

I swapped on a pair of OE rollers from my spare motor and we're back in business. I'm a little surprised that the Hyundai one failed, but I do spend a lot of time north of 5000rpm. Maybe that's it.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Easter wrote:Glad it wasn't worse.
Too true, it could easily have been.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Crossed 30k miles since the rebuild on the last ride of the season. Still chugging right along. It occurred to me that in all this time, I've never checked valve adjustments. OOPS!

Pulled the covers, checked everything, and only one exhaust valve was ever so slightly out of spec. New gaskets and rubber grommets on the bolts, and it's back together.

Changed the oil in the final drive too, and did a few other things. It still has yet to let me down though.

Picked up a couple other projects too...got a '78 XL350 running around pretty good, and I'm about to jump into a Suzuki RE5. The CBX is still waiting in the wings for time and money to be liberally applied.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Nice to hear that it's running well!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.