Actually it is pretty well mannered. I just have to get that noise toned down a bit. This has been a strange project from the beginning, I bought the bike for $75 only to realize the engine was locked up. After pulling the heads I found cylinder number 4 was full of rust and wouldn't allow the piston to cycle. Some sandpaper and a cylinder hone freed it up and it looked acceptable if not perfect. This was my first experience lapping the valves but thanks to a $5 valve spring tool found at a garage sale, and some coaching from a mechanic friend, I was able to get them into shape.
The reason the cylinder was rusty was because the bike had been parked outside for years with the shelter off and the breather box open. All the crud that ended up in the cylinder first passed through the carbs. So the carbs were a mess as well. Thanks to several rounds in my ultrasonic tank and a Randak kit, I got the carbs back into working condition. A new water pump was required but due to carelessness on my part the transmission cover had to come off three times before I got the leaks stopped. Then I blew a head gasket, yes, carelessness on my part again (plus a less than satisfactory gasket). The gasket was put on upside down and did not align properly with the oil return passage (I think it is) on the underside of the head. By now I am getting good at pulling the heads. Just not sure I trust my torque wrench when it comes to tightening that little bolt on the bottom to 10 lbs. of torque. I just know it is going to strip before the wrench "clicks".
Three months after I painted the wheels and installed the new tires and just as I was ready to wrap up the project, the rear tire went flat. Soapy water showed a leak all the way around the rim. The only sure way to avoid that again was a tube.
Well, this is getting long and boring even to me but I am just about finished with the bike now, a seat is on order, I have a set of Harley mufflers and I have a few more details like the idiot lights but it seems to run good, stop good and I think most if not all the leaks have been resolved. The cost of the project has grown from $75 to around $2000 but it has been another example of continuing education and for the most part a lot of fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes at present:
80 GL1100 Interstate: Now a Cafe Racer called DRAGON WING.
81 GL1100 collecting dust with about 300,000 miles, known as BLACK BEAUTY
2008 (I think) GL1800 Nice bike but as exciting as the family sedan!
76 GL1100 yes, 1100 with 1000 heads and cams, being customized
A fleet of parts bikes awaiting resuscitation or customization or abandonment