Need assistance with Controls

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Gonzo
Lead Member
Lead Member

Need assistance with Controls

Post by Gonzo »

H i am new to the forum, I have a 1995 Goldwing GL1500 , I want to and Harley controls to the bike But I am unsure of how to go about with wiring them in. The main concern that i have is the turn signals as in how to get them to work. If anyone has any ideas or knows how to do this please inform me. Im pretty good with electrical so most schematics I can read as well as follow in order to wire them in. Thank you for the help in advance.
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need assistance with Controls

Post by hoganJr »

Gonzo, welcome to the NGW forum, home to some of the smartest and friendliest riders and wrenches on the planet! This forum really focuses on the earlier Goldwings, the ones that came naked or are reasonably easy to nakedize. You'll get much more useful advice from the members at http://www.goldwingfacts.com or other forums that deal more with the 6 cylinder models.
I have a '91 but if you're "pretty good with electrical" you are already ahead of me. I am interested in seeing how your project progresses, though.

HoganJr
1991 GL1500
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have Harley controls on my 78. Just trace the function of each wire on the controls, and follow the schematic for your bike, to hook them up. I would suggest using relays to protect the switches from some of the high ampes
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Gonzo
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Gonzo »

CYBORG wrote:I have Harley controls on my 78. Just trace the function of each wire on the controls, and follow the schematic for your bike, to hook them up. I would suggest using relays to protect the switches from some of the high ampes
I'll give it a shot there but I actually liked this site based on the customization and stepping away from just stock and OEM. Ok, so here's my question (if I am saying it correctly ). The OEM shut off when contacting the ground. My pressing in on the signal selector switch. Maybe I am over thinking it but the signal switch h for the Harley has one button on both the right and left control for the desired signal. and it seems simply to be a single momentary switch. Is that the intent of the Harley signals switch to be held in as opposed to the switch of the Goldwing holds the light on for you?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Short answer...yes. I have to hold the switch until the turn is complete. But I never forget to turn them off that way. I don't find it to much of a problem.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:Short answer...yes. I have to hold the switch until the turn is complete. But I never forget to turn them off that way. I don't find it to much of a problem.

Yeah, first time I rode a HD it was a bit of a pain to have to hold them in. But I'm sure once you had them for awhile it would be no big deal.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

It is no big deal, but it can be made to stay on without holding the switch with latching relay. Requires another button to turn them off though. Also you can hold both switches and have 4 way flashers :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

The Harleys I owned had a turn signal cancellation unit under the tank. They stayed on until the unit cancelled them. I don't remember exactly how the system worked, but I disassembled and reassembled the turn signals several times in Sturgis one year. Never did find the problem as it went away never to reappear.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

My Harley works by holding down a button on each handlebar. A very primitive and inconvenient wiring scheme. There are aftermarket kits to convert them so when you push the button, the sigs stay on for a specific time.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Gonzo
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Gonzo »

So, I wanted to check in and say that I have abandoned the idea of hanging Harley controls on the GL1500, Though I think they would have looked really nice on the GL1500, there are a few other issues that I started to come across. Such as I needed a way to mount the choke and as I inform you below, there was a chance for and extra amp draw that I did not want to factor in.

I resolved my issue by finding 7/8 chrome controls on eBay. They are not Harley controls. These new controls look really nice. With these controls, I will not have to shim them to fit, and they also rectify the issue of having to find an alternate location for the choke. So two major plusses, also on the back of the left control is a passing switch. ( What is a passing switch you ask? I read up on it and apparently in Europe flashing your headlights informs the motorist in front of you that you wish to pass, or something to that nature. With the passing switch, I plan to run the reverse switch wires to it as well. So something different.
CYBORG wrote:It is no big deal, but it can be made to stay on without holding the switch with a latching relay. Requires another button to turn them off, though. Also, you can hold both switches and have four-way flashers :lol: :lol:
Also, as Cyborg stated that the Harley switches can still be used and enabled to blink on their own, by using a latching relay. Then you'd have to have a second switch to turn them off. I came across a latching relay schematic that I would have been able to use. In this Schematic you do not need a switch for on, and a switch for off you'd be able to use just one switch for on and the same switch for off. I attached the schematics In the case anyone wants to do this; I hope either of these schematic methods helps you out. I am attaching both designs I found these on 12volt.com.

The main difference between the two schematics is one has five relays, and the other has 4 and substitutes the 5th relay for with the use of diodes. I just really did not want to add a total of 4-5 relays connected in one circuit. With a total of 8 - 10 relays to be connected to my bike.
Attachments
7/8 Chrome controls
7/8 Chrome controls
7 8 Chrome Controls.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 257 times
latchonoffspnd.gif
latchonoffspnd.gif (12.78 KiB) Viewed 257 times
latchonoffsp.gif
latchonoffsp.gif (11.89 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Gonzo
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Gonzo »

OK so Im going to resurrect this thread of mine.

I decided to return to the idea of adding Harley Controls on my 1990 Honda Goldwing GL1500. In the past few months I have done a ton to my bike in modifications and alternations. To include fabricating a completely new front faring in order to house a set of Dual Day makers headlights ( I will post pictures later and give an explanation as to how I went about doing it. In the fairing Im also able to house 6 total 6.5" speakers a set of bullet tweeter speakers and an iPad for audio control as well as I have raised the stock cluster......Just seemed easier to do ). I've also fabricated a mount to support a set of Cycle smith 16" rise with 2" pull back, the mounting bar is 1" and the handle grip bar is 1" as well. So they support Harley brake and clutch reservoirs as well as the Harley controls. They look really nice and for that reason I really want to add the Harley Controls.

I have determined that I will be contacting Venhill in order to get a custom set of Brake and clutch lines to attach to the bike as well as I need to have throttle cables fabricated to fit I think I have that under control just need to measure them out and order them. Next this is the choke. I feel that I am going to pick up a pull knob to actuate the choke, and that seems easy for me to hide it (Unless their is a recommendation). I will try and post pictures from this point forward of the process of this build.

Any help would be great apart from sarcasm, Thank you in advance?

Questions:
1. Has anyone done this mod of adding Harley Controls to a Honda Goldwing GL1500?
1a. If so can you describe what it is that you did? I have attached a picture of what I have unless you determine that I
need to use authentic Harley Controls IF so Ill order a set
2. On the Honda OEM controls I noticed that their are 2 momentary relays under each of the controls any idea what they are for. I feel one is for the running lights but Im not sure?
3. Does anyone have the breakdown as in wiring of the Harley controls.
3a. With that being said do I need to wire anything over to control or is it simply cut and crimp wires together
3b. I understand that I will have to incorporate a latching relay of some sort to the signals. I think I have that under
control as I had previous posted. ( I didn't want to do it but I decide that either I will add the relays or purchase a
latching control with timed off.......unless their are other recommendations)
3c. What is your thoughts of a Badlands Control module? If you think this is a better alternative which should I use ?
4. As for the reverse option is it simply that I place the lever in the reverse position and I can use the same start button to reverse or is it a separate circuit away from the switch that I need to setup.
Attachments
These are the Controls that I have
These are the Controls that I have
7f54672b-c2b7-446f-bb6b-cc91ac8a4553.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 220 times
This is the reverse switch option
This is the reverse switch option
5000999_A.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 220 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I’m sure a few of us would like to see your bike and the mods you’ve done.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

ericheath wrote:I’m sure a few of us would like to see your bike and the mods you’ve done.
+1. I suck terribly at anything but basic electrical issues..throw in relays, diodes and amps and I'm lost.
So I enjoy reading what you folks that understand it are doing.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)