1984 interstate naked headlight swap

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

klingonwyotech
Lead Member
Lead Member

1984 interstate naked headlight swap

Post by klingonwyotech »

Hi I have a 1984 Interstate that I want to make into a naked bike. I need info on what headlight assembly to use and ideas on a speedo. thx
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 1984 interstate naked headlight swap

Post by Easter »

Head light brackets for the 1200 Standard will fit but will be really hard to find. Aftermarket brackets are probably your best bet. Some require lowering the fork tubes in the triple tree and others can be assembled in two pieces around the fork tube. As in most things better quality cost more money. If ordering aftermarket be sure you measure your fork tubes to get the correct size bracket. Avoid the ones that say they will fit too many different size tubes.

Same goes for the headlight. Some of the aftermarket stuff is pretty good, my orange bike has an aftermarket headlight and brackets and still looks good after three years.

I am pretty sure the mechanical gauges from an '83 or earlier Wing will work but your front wheel is a different size so actual miles per hour may be off slightly. Mounting to the top tree maybe an issue.

Digital gauges are an option, again some are better than others. I used a Danmoto on one of my builds with success.

I am just starting work on an '86 Interstate so I can answer with more authority in a few months but I doubt you will want to wait. Good luck with your project.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 1984 interstate naked headlight swap

Post by brianinpa »

The speedo will work from an 1100. The tach won't as the 1200 uses an electronic tach signal rather than a mechanical.
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket