All it needs is a battery and maybe a carb clean

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: All it needs is a battery and maybe a carb clean

Post by ericheath »

Not sure on starter valves, never seen a diagram showing flow through 1200 carbs. Actually just checked my manual and the pics show no needle tip on the starter valve. I am thinking of my v65 carbs I think.

What I was thinking was if a mixture screw tip had broken off and been left in place inadvertently. Not sure if a new one would push the broken piece in further or not.

I was thinking it was working at higher rpm.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I once had a set of CB750 carbs that a ham fisted PO had tightened the mix screws so tight that three out of the four were broken off. I was eventually able to get one of the tips out but had to replace the other two carbs. But these are all fine in that regard.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

As most of you know the fuel pipe flows through number 4 in order to get to number 2 which is running fine. So what ever is happening is within number 4. I have just run out of ideas and hope the carb on order will solve the problem. The number 4 cylinder, by the way, has a compression reading of 170. The rest are about 165. (no holes in the pistons, or sticking valves).
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Received my replacement carb today. Beautiful condition except for two minor problems, one, it wasn't a number 4 carb and two, the pilot screw tip was broken off in the idle circuit hole. I can't imagine how to get it out. (assuming it was the correct carb). So anyway, I have another one on order.

Also received my stainless brake lines for the front. I have them installed but have not put in any fluid yet. That is for tomorrow.

Have painted the shelter and side covers (some of them three times) and am still getting way more orange peal than I want and have been trying to figure out why. I haven't had this problem (to this extent anyway) that I can recall. Called Eastwood for technical help but I am still getting too much. Problem is this is a matte black finish so no cut and polish and no clear coat.

The good news (I think) is a friend of mine offered me a free Goldwing. Went to pick it up this morning and it turned out to be a GL1500, You know the rest, "was running when parked, needs a battery and carbs cleaned". Looks a little rough for a restoration but we will see, haven't looked it over very closely. Has been partially disassembled.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

While I wait on the fourth carb for the number four position, I worked a bit more on the wiring. There is still a lot of wire that leads nowhere but at least I think it will fit under the shelter. I cut out about two feet from the dozen or so wires in the left hand controls and about a foot from the eight or so wires that go to the ignition switch. I had already removed some of the wiring for CB radios etc. and will undoubtedly remove more later. With the tape removed from the harness, the wire is more flexible and I was just able to push it in enough to clear but access to the coils is non-existent. Wiring at the rear of the bike is pretty straight forward, I just need to settle on lighting.

Besides the issue of the carbs, the big concern I have at the moment is the clutch. It seems to be stuck, probably from sitting with little or no oil. I can feel the mechanism releasing the pressure plate when I pull the hydraulic clutch but the rear wheel continues to turn. The bike is still on the table and up on the center stand so the only resistance I can give it is with the rear brake. I haven't messed with it much but so far it isn't releasing. I just hope I don't have to tear into it!!
Attachments
20171115_145935_resized.jpg
20171115_145935_resized.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 220 times
20171115_145946_resized.jpg
20171115_145946_resized.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Bikes at present:

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Not really a pressure plate. Springs and a clutch pack with alternating metal and friction disks. They're probably stuck together - one more. All it takes is one friction and one metal drive disk surface to stick.. There are a number of ways to free them up. Some less kind than others. I'm a fan of quick and dirty. I've had good luck simply dropping it in gear. Folks here are quick to recommend against it, but it's not as hard on the driveline (gears) as you might think and once should do it unless they're really badly stuck.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

"pressure plate" just shorthand, I've done a bunch of them now. I'll probably do it your way, but after I get it off the table and out in the drive, and after I get the carbs sorted.

Couldn't resist putting the shelter on to see what it looks like.
Attachments
20171115_180932_resized.jpg
20171115_180932_resized.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 210 times
20171115_181011_resized.jpg
20171115_181011_resized.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 210 times
20171115_181153_resized.jpg
20171115_181153_resized.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Received the new number 4 carb last evening and was able to install it this afternoon. I haven't sync'd the carbs yet but all seems to be good. Rolled it off the table and popped it in gear, no problem with the clutch at all. So I took it for a ride. A very short ride. Didn't go fast because I don't have much in the brake department but otherwise I was really happy with the results. Starts great, idles fine, responds to the throttle as it should, so far no serious leaks, radiator temp stays low even in the garage at about 80 degrees ambient temperature. Tomorrow I plan to put a stock exhaust system back on it and probably sync the carbs.

I was able to get a bit more air out of the rear brakes but can't tell much difference with the fronts, sometimes they are just really stubborn. Discs are polishing up nicely though. With the short bars and the big front wheel, the front feels a bit heavy at slow speeds but not so much that it is a problem. Above 10 miles an hour or so I didn't notice it at all.

Now it is back to the cosmetics. I have a front headlight picked out and will try to get it ordered tomorrow. Still uncertain what to do with the seat and instruments. I have a cool 180 mph speedometer from a BMW that I tested with a drill, at full drill speed both the BMW and a Honda speedo registered 40 mph. The cable connection is the same so I think it will work. Just a matter of figuring out how and where to mount it.
Bikes at present:

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Starting to feel a little bit weak on the 10th commandment. Definitely starting to covet that 1200.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Great news. Any idea what was wrong with the previous carbs?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

ericheath wrote:Great news. Any idea what was wrong with the previous carbs?
Not really, looked like the pilot jet was plugged at the end but the side ports were open. I will look more carefully as I put the set back together.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Spent the morning cleaning (vinegar and steel wool) the exhaust system. One dent and some damage to the chrome from battery acid at some time in the past. This is from an '88 Aspencade and is just a bit different than the earlier ones. Took a bit of twisting and hammering to make it fit. Close just doesn't cut it when you are trying to align the holes for the studs. Looks pretty good and quietens it down a bit but it still has a nice bass tone. Smoked like crazy for the first half hour till I got all the moisture and oil burned out and off. I would have been worried but since it has been running without smoke for a while now I was confident it was just the exhaust system.

As planned, I moved on to syncing the carbs. It was really easy this time and they are very close to one another.

Then it was on to the fenders. I had to weld up some holes in the back fender and fill with putty. Just before I quit for the evening, I got a coat of etching primer on them. Most likely some spots will need more work. They will be painted satin black like the rest of the bike. I should get to that in the next few days. Ordered my headlight so that leaves only the seat and instruments to settle on. For now I have a stock seat from a 1200 Standard, slightly chewed by hungry mice.
Attachments
20171118_173325_resized.jpg
20171118_173325_resized.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

That looks very nice. The front looks raked a little. Must be from not having the radiator wings on.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Feels a little raked as well. I think it is a steeper angle and that is part of the reason the front feels heavy at slow speeds but I like the look and it should be good at speed.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Speaking of radiator wings, I wasn't sure the fan thermostat was working since all the time I have had it running on the bench the fan never came on. I don't have a temp gauge although I was watching it with an infrared temp gun, anyway yesterday when I was doing the sync the fan finally came on. That was good but also the bike just seems to run cool. Our weather is still in the 80's so it isn't like the shop was cold.
Bikes at present: