Tach Cable Removal GL1000 -77

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Erza
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Tach Cable Removal GL1000 -77

Post by Erza »

Hi Gurus,

I’m making my GL1000 into a cafe racer and many components have already left the bike, now I really wanna get rid of the tach cable.

1. Can I just pull the old tach cable out of the engine? And then just cap the hole? Or what can I do?

2. I have installed a digital speedometer which works perfectly with showing gas, gear, speed, indicators, lights, I only need to know how to get the tachometer reading working as well. Some say to hook up a twisted wire around the ignition wire, some say connect it to points. I don’t wanna ruin the tachometer so can anyone please let me know how to run the cable that reads tachometer.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Tach Cable Removal GL1000 -77

Post by ericheath »

You can just pull the tach cable. There is a seal. It will collect dirt and dust without a cap.

I would consult with the manufacturer or installation instructions on your tach signal. All the ones I've seen simply tap into one of the coil wires for its signal. Try and keep it away from the coils to avoid a false reference signal.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Yup. Just cap it. No worries. It'll make a heckuva mess if you don't!

(And welcome!)
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

desertrefugee wrote:Yup. Just cap it. No worries. It'll make a heckuva mess if you don't!

(And welcome!)
If the seal is good you don't need to cap it. Just to keep dirt out of it.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
BurnsYoFace34
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BurnsYoFace34 »

Did you manage to get the tach signal an giw did you I kinda wanna get a new digital setup aswell
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Where the signal comes from depends on which instrument you are using. Both of mine have Danmoto instruments (sorry, NLA) and they need the tach trigger to be connected to the input of one of the coils (the GoldWing needed a resistor in series to stabilize the reading) but some are designed to trigger from a wire wrapped around one of the spark plug wires.

Step 1 should always be reading the instructions for the unit you have and step 2 (if step 1 doesn't tell you what you need to know) should be asking the manufacturer.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....