How do I make my 1975 look like this bike?

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

MAGNUM21
Lead Member
Lead Member

How do I make my 1975 look like this bike?

Post by MAGNUM21 »

I have a standard run-of-the-mill 1975, a real beauty with 14,000. In addition to getting it mechanically sound I want to do what it takes to make it look like this bike. Can I achieve this stance with the stock forks and lower rear shocks? How much lower than stock is this bike would you say?
Thanks in advance, Tommy.
[img][/img
Screenshot_20180108-215142.png
Screenshot_20180108-215142.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 356 times
]
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: How do I make my 1975 look like this bike?

Post by desertrefugee »

Stock forks raised in the trees about an inch. Those look like the same Forsa shocks I installed. Cheap but decent, all over ebay. 12.5" as I recall. I had a set of even cheaper 11.5" units and they were too low. Ridability suffered. (And the shocks sucked). What really makes that bike look lower is the clip ons, aftermarket instruments, flat master cylinder and dropped headlight. Getting all the hardware lower down gives it that profile.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
MAGNUM21
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by MAGNUM21 »

O.k. that is great info. I wasn't sure if that was lower than could be achieved by the raising the forks in the triple tree or not. Now for the next newbie question - I have searched here and on YouTube and can not find any info on the step by step on that process. I am also wondering if I can use my headlight bracket in a lower position like that bike or if I will have to get another. The last question is looking ahead before I try to get some clip-ons, how do you keep them from hitting the tank? I've tried to research that too but I get lost before I find the answer. Thank You.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

More going on than just the stock forks pushed up into the triple tree. Those are so short they did some internal shortening to them. And by the looks of it they will either bottom out on the bottom triple or hit the radiator. Unless they have them "very" stiff. In which case it will beat you up riding it.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Every change made to that bike has been for looks, not function. A "mantelpiece" project, because it would not be fun to ride.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

It's hard to say from one photo what's been done to that bike, but desertrefugee's suggestions above will get you well on the way to the look you want and still have a rideable bike. As for step-by-step instructions, you probably won't find any specific threads here, but lots of examples and pics within build threads. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but the best way to learn how to do it is to do it. Pull up a stool next to your bike, sit down, and really look at it. How it's put together, what does what, if I change this, what might it affect, etc. Turning the wrench is the easy part, lol...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

exactly. A lot of looking,...and thinking,.. and a little wrenching
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
MAGNUM21
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by MAGNUM21 »

My knee dragging and triple jumping days are over so I'm all about appearances while I can, LMBO...maybe that is in between wild and crazy, and functional !

I've got the "looking and thinking" part down...now I need the "clicking part" to kick in before the "wrenching part". There is a lot going on up there and just figured as popular as it seems to be to lower the front end that someone would have a video how to complete with gauge lowering process (that was my big hope). I don't see how everyone can run all those clip-ons without them hitting the false tanks, i think mine would hit if they were tape-ons.

In the meantime I have enough to keep me busy with the Randakk carb kit, fuel system flush from cap to carbs, followed up with new belts and hopefully a resurrection.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

First year I had my 78 I dropped the front tubes a full inch. Definitely caused clearance issues and I hated the way it handled. The setup in that pic would not allow a front fender. There are hundreds of aftermarket gauge sets. So the mounting will mostly depend on what you buy. I have not heard of any off the shelf bolt on systems. You will have to fabricate the mounts.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Glad to know you've got the 'looking and thinking' part down, lol! It's hard to gauge a person's wrenching abilities from one or two posts. While the forum's search function kind of bites, try searching +steering +stop . You'll get a few matches that are good. Lowering the headlight bucket can sometimes be accomplished by flipping the stock ears upside down, but may require some trimming (I've not personally done that). A lot of people use aftermarket mounts for more adjustability.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Wangthang
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Wangthang »

Having a clearance problem inherent in design, i would never lower an old wing. I am vertically challenged and like to hold my bike up flat footed. You can achieve the look as said without screwing up the geometry. If it doesn't make it faster, brake better, handle better, or lighter then don't do it :crosso
1977 Gl 1000
1976 F1 750 SS
1973 Ironhead chopper
2007 Road King
1974 dohc 450 chopper project
1976 Gl 1000 parts bike
600rr parts bike