Red Belly 2.0

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Red Belly (!)

Post by Easter »

The weather here in South Texas has turned prematurely cold and the long term forecast is not much better, so it may be a while before I get the final paint done. If this runs decently there is not a lot left to do so I may have to move on to another project.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Finished reassembling the carbs and reinstalling. It actually ran for a few seconds before I ran the battery down. I am getting more suspicious of the fuel pump. I confirmed it was working but I don't think it is pumping enough to keep fuel in all the carbs. I have a spare or two and will try something different tomorrow.
Bikes at present:

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm not certain, but IIRC, Mike Nixon's 'cut off delete' still requires that the diaphrams be good. Of course it has been a while since I've read that. I'm certainly interested in how that works out!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

The fuel pump checked out as working and seems to be pumping enough (ran a clear line from the pump back into the tank and cranked it for a bit).

Anyway, good news, as I was able to start the bike and let it run for a minute or two. It didn't have a radiator and was pumping oil out from the cam seal on the left side so I shut it down pretty quick. A seal is on order. Incidentally, this back seal is called a "cap" and is not the same part number as the front oil seals on the 1100. Harder to find but still available.

The starting problem turned out as they often do to be a simple oversight. The new choke cable is too long and full choke at the bars was about 3/4 inch shy of full choke at the carbs. By pushing up on the actuator lever I was able to get it to choke and immediately start. It sounded fine, no backfires or roughness during the short time I had it running.

I moved on to installing the radiator and an auxiliary fan. Pictures tomorrow. I also ordered a rear MC for an 1800. After putting a new $40 kit in this one it leaks badly around the actuator shaft. Probably not possible to smooth out the cylinder enough to get it to seal. I am disappointed because not only did I buy the parts but it actually looked like a really nice cylinder. Anyway, many of you will recall I did an installation on Dragon Wing using a GL1800 MC several years ago that is now available as a tutorial under shop talk. So, all I have to do is re-read it and see if I can follow my own instructions. Best part is lots of nice clean 1800 rear Master Cylinders are available and cheap (at least half the price of scruffy looking GL1100 cylinders). Note some of the later 1800 cylinders have a protrusion at the top where the reservoir tube attaches. I do not know if that will interfere with mounting so I was careful to order an earlier model with out the protrusion.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Two steps forward, One and one half back!! I have been building brackets for my new fan and just as I got it worked out I realized the radiator was leaking. Not much at first but the longer it sets, the more it leaks. I have a couple more in the shed so i pulled one out and gave it a bath in acid. I will attempt to water test it tomorrow before I go to the trouble of painting and installing.

Meanwhile, the 1800 MC arrived today so I spent a couple of hours modifying it to mount on the 1100. Nothing much involved really but it all takes time. Good news is that it is installed and fits nicely, Bad news is it leaks. Just like the one I replaced. Maybe it will heal itself overnight. :IDTS:

Here are a couple of shots of the modifications required. Strip off all the extra GL1800 stuff, unless you want to wire in the 1800 brake switch apparatus. I don't know if it will get in the way, probably would. Shorten the threaded actuator rod by 1 1/4 inch and reinstall the connector for the brake pedal. Make an adapter plate from aluminum or steel stock as shown in the photo. Spacers are required to keep the plate in alignment. I used a thick washer from the parts collection.

Since I am retaining the air shocks and the air valve bracket was attached to the frame with the same bolts that hold the master cylinder in place. I had to modify the air valve bracket so that it did not interfere with the new bolts. Sorry I don't have a photo of this but if you need details I will add additional photos. The process is essentially the same as that outlined in Shop Talk except for the addition of the air valve bracket.
Attachments
GL1800 Master Cylinder with shortened actuator shaft and adapter plate.
GL1800 Master Cylinder with shortened actuator shaft and adapter plate.
002 (10).jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Plate can be mounted to lower bolt hole prior to installation. Middle hole is located by drilling through the frame web and into the bracket. Since my 6mm tap is permanently installed in the front engine block, I had to use a nut on the back of this third bolt.
Plate can be mounted to lower bolt hole prior to installation. Middle hole is located by drilling through the frame web and into the bracket. Since my 6mm tap is permanently installed in the front engine block, I had to use a nut on the back of this third bolt.
003 (11).jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

The MC seems to have quit dripping which I can speculate might have had something to do with the rough handling of cutting the threaded rod and removing the nuts and spring. Anyway, a clean blue towel placed beneath it is dry so that is worthy of a celebration. I have included a couple more photos to show the additional hole that needs to be drilled in the bike's frame web to stabilize the MC since the forward hole can not be used.

I pulled the leaky radiator and went through my inventory looking for a replacement. First attempt was a total failure as it had major leaks in several locations. The second attempt (third radiator) had a crack in the base next to the lower hose connection. It probably could be fixed but I moved on to radiator number 4 (and the last one I had in the storage building). It has survived the initial water test and was soaked for a few hours in an acid/water bath. Nothing more I can do except paint and install and pray.

My camshaft seal is scheduled for delivery on Monday so I might yet get to take it for a test run before Thanksgiving. The weather has been very pleasant (but unseasonably chilly in the mornings) but next week calls for rain all week long. Just my luck.
Attachments
Additional hole drilled for stabilizing bolt.
Additional hole drilled for stabilizing bolt.
002 (11).jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Air shock bracket shortened to one bolt hole instead of the original two.
Air shock bracket shortened to one bolt hole instead of the original two.
003 (12).jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

My seal arrived yesterday as promised and took about five minutes to install. The radiator (number 4) went on this morning, so crossing my fingers I hit the starter. She (notice the feminine) fired right up and after a few minutes settled down and sounded reasonably good (no mufflers and not yet synced). Lots and lots of smoke, still smoking when I eventually shut her down.
The good: charges at 14.5 V and the fan came on after a few minutes and the new seal is doing the job.
The bad: still smoking and radiator number 4 leaks pretty badly. I think I will put some stop leak in the radiator, if that doesn't work, well, maybe a new core.

Lots of company here now for Thanksgiving but if the weather holds, I might get a short ride in. :crosso
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Between the cool weather and Thanksgiving activities, things have slowed down a bit. But I have managed to get a few things done. The leak in the radiator seems to have stopped (a small glob of Bardahl sealant in the radiator tank) and most of the smoke has cleared from the exhaust. I ran a check on the compression and it has improved significantly on all cylinders except number four, which is still showing very low. Hopefully it is just a stuck piston ring which will loosen up with use.

We are supposed to get some warm weather later this week so I have been prepping all the body parts for paint (again). I still haven't settled on a trim theme or color but hopefully getting all the parts painted will help me decide what if anything more I want to do.

One curiosity, when I run the bike for several minutes it creates an unusually (I think) strong vacuum in the gas tank. I looked around for another gas cap to try but apparently I do not have any. Will steal the one from Dragon Wing and see if it makes a difference.
Bikes at present:

AL Smith
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by AL Smith »

Hey Easter! Smitty over here in Seguin. Do you have an 1100 choke cable that the friction lock still works? Thanks ph 832-948-3682 cell
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Yes, a brand new one but it is about 3/4 inch too long. The inner cable needs to be shortened.
Bikes at present:

AL Smith
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by AL Smith »

I will take itif you want to sell it. Smitty
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

If you come get it you can have it. Send me a text for address. 830 477 9903.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Today was paint day. Weather was perfect and unless something shows up on assembly, I am quite happy with the results. Will let the parts hang and cure for a bit (maybe a week) before risking too much handling. dancr
Attachments
002 (12).jpg
002 (12).jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 199 times
004 (12).jpg
004 (12).jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 199 times
005 (11).jpg
005 (11).jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I have an oil leak that I think is coming from the weep hole in the water pump housing. This was a new style water pump and didn't show any side play but apparently still has o-ring problems. I will run it a bit before tearing into it as I may still need to switch out the engine.
Bikes at present:

Wolfie666
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Wolfie666 »

Hey! It's RED!
Don't take life seriously,
You will never get out alive!