Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

Post by CrazyJerry »

Liam wrote:I cannot consider myself qualified in any way to comment other than say WOW.
I can just about make a bracket and paint it, but I simply would not have the vision to dream up and make something like this.
I am in awe.
Thank you Liam! If it's any consolation to you, many, many times when taking photos at car/bike shows, it is the small things/details that really make the cut and nothing escapes, not even a home-made bracket that someone has taken the time to create!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

chris937 wrote:That’s a beautiful build and the photos are a real treat too. Plus some of most tatseful “photoshop” work I’ve seen in a long time. Well done.
Thanks chris937! Believe it or not, somewhere waaay down the road of things on my list to purchase: is Photoshop. Some of the works that people create using that software are fantastic and I'd like to have a crack at it too!
-
~CrazyJerry~
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

As with many tools, the skill of the user is important. I understand that Gimp can be just as powerful as Photoshop. Me, I take snapshots and crop.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

crossy.gif Congrats on getting BOTY! crossy.gif A well deserved award with all of the work you put into her!

If you guys want to step up your photo game without a lot of effort, give Adobe Lightroom a shot. I've been using it on my iPad and have been getting pretty fantastic results with the images. Less of a learning curve than with Photoshop or Gimp as well. I'd call it the step between using filters on your phone and going all out with Photoshop, so the Baby Bear of editors. :lol:
1983 GL1100 viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67673#
1981 CB900F (Resto-mod Project)
1979 CB750F (Wiseco 823)
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

pidjones wrote:As with many tools, the skill of the user is important. I understand that Gimp can be just as powerful as Photoshop. Me, I take snapshots and crop.
pidjones, will give Gimp a look over and you're right about the skill of the user. I'm with you on the snapshots and crop, but sometimes a these shots beg for some "UnderGround CustomiZing"!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

bigscheaf wrote:crossy.gif Congrats on getting BOTY! crossy.gif A well deserved award with all of the work you put into her!

If you guys want to step up your photo game without a lot of effort, give Adobe Lightroom a shot. I've been using it on my iPad and have been getting pretty fantastic results with the images. Less of a learning curve than with Photoshop or Gimp as well. I'd call it the step between using filters on your phone and going all out with Photoshop, so the Baby Bear of editors. :lol:
Thanks bigscheaf! Lightroom looks attractive. I have a dream of finding something like that is a one-time-pay, stand-alone application, and works really good with an aging laptop. :lol:
-
Thanks for the tip!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Jerry, I have been out of pocket for a bit and missed the vote for BOTY, but you certainly earned it. And as a retired professional photographer I can say with authority that is one great image.

regarding software, it is hard to keep up, going through that myself at the moment, but it is possible to buy older versions of both Light Room and Photoshop on ebay that will work just fine. Newer versions, in addition to being subscription, require recent hardware with the newer standard format graphics cards. (Sorry, not enough of a geek to explain it further) My high-end Sony Laptop (with Windows 10) of several years ago cannot be updated as the card is integrated into the Mother Board thus not compatible with current Photoshop!
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Easter wrote:Jerry, I have been out of pocket for a bit and missed the vote for BOTY, but you certainly earned it. And as a retired professional photographer I can say with authority that is one great image.

regarding software, it is hard to keep up, going through that myself at the moment, but it is possible to buy older versions of both Light Room and Photoshop on ebay that will work just fine. Newer versions, in addition to being subscription, require recent hardware with the newer standard format graphics cards. (Sorry, not enough of a geek to explain it further) My high-end Sony Laptop (with Windows 10) of several years ago cannot be updated as the card is integrated into the Mother Board thus not compatible with current Photoshop!
Thanks Easter! I will look around for retired software. From what you've written, and what I've read, it seems that the sky is the limit on what one could spend on this stuff (although if I had a stash of loot it might go in that direction!! action1 )
-
To help get through the long winter in where it's warm, a couple other photos were finished and this one's the latest:
-
-
We're still under quite a bit of snow with an ice base so riding is still off in the distance.
-
~CrazyJerry~
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

After forty years in Michigan it is great to be a Texan, Spring is in full swing here.
Another great photo.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Jerry,
Fabulous. Just jaw dropping, however I have one teeny weeny little "how come"?

How come, with all the fabrication, wonderful attention to countless details, creative thought and overcoming of challenges, you never touched the kickstand and it still has that useless great rubber dollop that Honda put there to help flick the stand up in case the rider left it down when pulling away? In most pictures the bike is siting on its kickstand, and there sits the dollop!

Just curious! :-D

Cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Easter wrote:After forty years in Michigan it is great to be a Texan, Spring is in full swing here.
Another great photo.
Easter - congrats! I would love to be in Texas. Lived there for just two years and have missed it ever since. Ride safe and have fun in the big state!!! :crosso
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

230Rocket wrote:Jerry,
Fabulous. Just jaw dropping, however I have one teeny weeny little "how come"?

How come, with all the fabrication, wonderful attention to countless details, creative thought and overcoming of challenges, you never touched the kickstand and it still has that useless great rubber dollop that Honda put there to help flick the stand up in case the rider left it down when pulling away? In most pictures the bike is siting on its kickstand, and there sits the dollop!

Just curious! :-D

Cheers
Dean
230Rocket,
That's a really good question and I had several ideas in the works for a custom kickstand. In the end a decision was made to keep some of the original Honda items.... and there it stayed, that wonderful kickstand with said "useless great rubber dollup" - lol!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

First ride of the year is still a bit out of reach... Tonight will drop to 17 degrees F - brrrr...
-
As soon as the weather breaks, the 1978 GL1000 thread is going to be revived...
In the meantime, it's huddle by the woodstove and dream.....
-
-
~CrazyJerry~
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Jerry, ha ha, that's funny and I get it. It took me a year to get round to grinding it off mine! Thanks for the recent pic, it's drop dead gorgeous in every way!

Cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Bon Appetit' makes it into the Coast To Coast Am Halloween Gallery!
Happy Halloween everyone!!!!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
-