Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

Post by CrazyJerry »

Easter wrote:The chrome breather doesn't look bad at all.
Easter - I really like the look of the filter under the tank ( a lot!) The issue with even that filter is the tank height in relation to the handlebars (specifically turning them fully to their stops... It will hit...)
-
I'll crack this nut but for now I'm addressing a few other things... This air filter thing is to be continued....
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Since the last weekly entry, the air filter refused to comply, so for now it's taking a little "time out" in a cardboard box.
-
This week's entry is moving along the path of getting this bike to "yard drive". Before I perform any magic on the overall theme, I need to know this thing is going to be ok... This project qualifies in the "Uncharted Waters" category due to all the frame and suspension modifications.
-
A step in this direction is to get the main handlebar controls operational. Initially a hydraulic clutch sounded good and there are cylinders made that will pop right in place and "Pull" just like a cable would do:
-
-
-
For now, that nice little slave cylinder will be put on the back burner...
-
The current challenge was to make up some cables and run them through these handlebars... The first problem was the diameter of the holes in the bars for those cables... Too small... soooo...
-
-
-
-
The real culprit was the hidden washers that are welded/recessed up in the risers... There's now ample room for a stout set of cables through these bars and the clutch will require a strong one!
-
Next was to measure, cut, and attach the cables to the levers, and the rotating hand grip on the right. Routing the cables and setting the rotating grip correctly tested my patience several times. It's a very interesting setup and everything on that right grip goes in at the same time - - as you are also trying to push those cable up through the bars....
shakehands
-
-
-
-
Next was to solder some ends on the cables:
-
-
-
-
My forehead flashlight is going dead but not before a quick-shot of the bike.
-
-
-
ETA for completion: On or before July 4th...
Just wait until you see this!! devil1
-
~CrazyJerry~
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

That is going to be something. Best lines on a Goldwing I’ve seen. Great attention to detail. I’m sure the original builder would be pleased with what you’re doing. In fact, it’s almost like you ARE the original builder.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

CrazyJerry wrote:
5speed wrote:here is what I was thinking. I would T the pipe behind the rad and put a pod on both sides of the tank. Keep them in tight to the tank.
5speed - I see what you are saying but if the tank is lowered to where it was intended to be, there's about 3mm above the carb tops to run anything out of. I have to be careful on raising the tank as the handlebars will hit it when turned to their stops. It's like a game of chess with this one!
lolol
-
~CrazyJerry~
I know you have the tank finished in regards to welding but.. :mrgreen:
could you notch it out above the carbs to give you more room?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Maybe it's the camera angle, or just my eyes, but it looks to me like the handlebars are just a wee bit out of alignment between the lower bar and the upper... I really like the idea of hidden cables. Is the front brake going to have a remote master cylinder?
On the air cleaner, is there room directly in front of the plenum? I picture a wedge shaped (like a door stop) base plate that opens up in the front for the filter(s). Looking at the stock 1100's air box, it doesn't seem to need a huge amount of airflow. But then again, I'm a 'seat of the pants' engineer...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

desertrefugee wrote:That is going to be something. Best lines on a Goldwing I’ve seen. Great attention to detail. I’m sure the original builder would be pleased with what you’re doing. In fact, it’s almost like you ARE the original builder.
Thanks desertrefugee!
This bike may be the best work I've ever done... But it's going to be a long weekend first!
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Track T 2411 wrote:Maybe it's the camera angle, or just my eyes, but it looks to me like the handlebars are just a wee bit out of alignment between the lower bar and the upper... I really like the idea of hidden cables. Is the front brake going to have a remote master cylinder?
On the air cleaner, is there room directly in front of the plenum? I picture a wedge shaped (like a door stop) base plate that opens up in the front for the filter(s). Looking at the stock 1100's air box, it doesn't seem to need a huge amount of airflow. But then again, I'm a 'seat of the pants' engineer...
Track T 2411 - It's the cell phone camera and the angle combined... Well at least that's the official response!
The front brake is already has it's remote cylinder mounted (on the left front down tube) - two non-branded cylinders were included with the bike. There is a small amount of room in front of the plenum - but for now that's tabled until a revelation happens!
lolol
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Short posting this evening - I wanna get back out there! I'm up to my ears in wires as this weekends project is to wire it from scratch (less the stator wires and the wires on the regulator).
-
-
-
Also, the battery arrived!!! It's really small (approx 3.5"x3.5"x4", weighs in at 2.2 lbs, and will start this bike repeatedly like there's no tomorrow! It's an AntiGravity Lifepo4. Pricey yes, but fits almost anywhere!
-
-
-
It's going to be a marathon night but I'm stoked!
:flamer
-
~CrazyJerry!~
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

Turn the carbs around so they poke outwards, then the prismatic tank will fit.

In regard to raising the tank as it hits the bars, lose the built in swept back risers and fit some straight ones.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

A quick update from the handlebars posting:
The internal cable routing through the handlebars was completed. Those cables are attached to their endpoints (front brake, throttle, and clutch). The clutch pulls harder than I'd like but is very do-able.
-
As a side note: I did have a previous agreement with Custom Cycle Controls to build a set of handlebars and outfit them with their "Climax Hidden Hand Controls". At $2,000+ this would've been a very elegant solution to maintaining a very clean handlebar appearance (and by design housed the brake and clutch master cylinders within the bars). Due to circumstances on the vendor's end, that order cannot be completed so the bars that came with the bike will/are being used, and the money that was going to be used for those will be redirected into the bike elsewhere.
-
Awaiting more "stuff" to be delivered, this week ushers in the decision to run a front fender (currently there is none). The front fender "mount" will be one separated from the fender off a beat-up 1979 Goldwing. The separation process is pretty straightforward:
-
Locate and grind off the factory rivets..
-
-
-
-
-
-
Some measurements are in order to see exactly what space is available around the fork area:
-
-
-
-
A trial fit of the fender mount will provide a visual of tire clearance at the mount:
-
-
-
-
The mount looks workable, so it got a vinegar soak, then a sanding, and a coat of etch primer:
-
-
-
-
What's on deck:
From here on out, all work performed on the bike must be original, and must compliment the custom rear leaf spring, gas tank, and seat. This will require some ability to work with aluminum in various forms.
-
All lighting will be led-based using custom fixtures.
-
The main control switch panel will also be an exclusive one-off unit designed for this build.
-
Custom Guages were ordered several weeks ago and like the main control switch panel, will actually make the operator feel necessary.
-
The existing rear fender and headlight assembly cannot be used in this build, instead, those items will also be custom-built specifically for this Goldwing.
-
In order to tie-in all of the visual eye-candy from end-to-end, the "Crown" of this build will use a very unique item that will need to be bent and curved. The following basic tools that will get the job done are: a couple of Wood 4x4's, a steel shovel handle, a header pipe from a 1980 Suzuki GS550, a rubber mallet, and a large steel water tub:
-
-
-
-
With roughly 26 days until July 4th (completion date) there's still lots of details to work out.
The picture below is the last picture (and reminder) of what we've all come to know as the "Oklahoma Goldwing":
-
-
-
It's party-time: Bon Appetit!!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Tonight's entry concentrates on the gas tank that was previously sealed, but more work is needed to complete "the look".
-
The solution to rounding the front of the gas tank is quite simple....
For your viewing pleasure, I present to you, an old, aluminum, salad bowl which will be cut/quartered and mounted on the tank:
-
-
-
-
-
-
Additional trim on and around the tank will consist of 3/16" aluminum armature wire:
-
-
-
And 1/4" aluminum fuel line that's been hand split with a hacksaw:
-
-
-
-
This go-around with the tank may provide an idea of where this project is going - however, final completion of the tank must be put on hold:
-
-
-
-
-
Bon Appétit!
-
~CrazyJerry~
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Whoa. 26 days, huh? This one is going to be something. Although I feel for you and the workload over the next four weeks, it's a short time for us lurkers to wait to see the finished product...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

what is all that white stuff outside? ;)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

desertrefugee wrote:Whoa. 26 days, huh? This one is going to be something. Although I feel for you and the workload over the next four weeks, it's a short time for us lurkers to wait to see the finished product...
5speed wrote:what is all that white stuff outside? ;)
Cut - green screen malfunction! Go to commerical - lolol
There's a ton of pics to go through and sort - catching up on pics and then the postings. Stay tuned this thread is going to move along much faster now....
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

The first custom lighting fixture for this build dates back to the early 1900's and something I was using almost daily, but sadly the bottom is finally getting too thin over the years.. It's an Wear-Ever coffee pot:
-
-
-
-
The bottom of the pot is really the perfect size to house a headlight! The hole that will be cut is outlined using a Sharpie marker:
-
-
-
The glass lens fits perfectly!
-
-
-
Using a hacksaw blade, a fine character line was created to give the impression of the front outer ring, and sandpaper was used to give the pot a dual texture much like the gas tank has:
-
-
-
-
The aluminum wire trim will be replaced with a new piece once all work is completed on the coffee pot.
-
-
-
-
The pot will also house the new Speedometer and some electronics. Using an old Honda GL1000 speedometer as a reference, we can get a feel for the look and the fit:
-
-
Things are starting to take shape!
-
~CrazyJerry~
Last edited by CrazyJerry on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.