GL1000 build - soon to be Fuel Injected

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: GL1000 build - soon to be Fuel Injected

Post by GT-Ron »

No turning back now...

Any tips for getting the remaining rubber boots off the intake tubes?

And what is the purpose ofthese little screw holes on the side of the intake tubes?

symbol of nitrate
'75 GL1000 project, '82 Kawasaki GT750 turbo project.
ex: K6 GSXR1000, '07 Hyabusa
82_GL1100
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by 82_GL1100 »

From the FSM:
CAUTION: Do not try to remove the rubber couplers from the intake pipes. They are bonded in place for precise alignment.

Sorry 'bout that. Do you have a FSM? Are the manuals available on the site?

The screw holes are for connecting a manometer to synchronize the carbs. They should each have had a machine screw in them.
82 GL1100 Standard 44k miles 83 wheels & forks
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The holes are there for synchronization of the carburetors. No idea on removing the remaining rubber, it was vulcanized. Burn, baby, burn??
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by GT-Ron »

82_GL1100 wrote:From the FSM:
CAUTION: Do not try to remove the rubber couplers from the intake pipes. They are bonded in place for precise alignment.

Sorry 'bout that. Do you have a FSM? Are the manuals available on the site?

The screw holes are for connecting a manometer to synchronize the carbs. They should each have had a machine screw in them.
Thanks, makes sense.

I have to remove them to fit silicone couplers that will fit on the itb’s.... So yeah unfortunately i had to destroy them.
GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by GT-Ron »

Eric i was thinking that too. Or else soaking in some kind of solvent?
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

I'd carve most of the rubber off of those intake runners with a knife and remove the rest with the brass brush on my bench grinder myself.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Have you seen a few EFI builds here? There are a few who have used mikuni adapters (some with downdraft carbs, some with EFI) rather than elbows for $10-20 each. Being in South Africa probably limits availability.

Any post you find with EFI, look to the bottom of the page for similar topics. There have been a few done successfully and a few still in the works.

I’m trying to remember one with a similar one to yours.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

Did you get the remaining rubber off the runners?
If not, try soaking them with brake or carb cleaner, it will soften the remaining bits and allow it to peal off easier. (heat will help too)
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by GT-Ron »

Low side the wire brush on the bench grinder seems like a great idea!

Eric thanks. Some nice builds there. That turbo build was fun to read...

Ocr - that sounds like a good idea too. Will give it a shot!
GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by GT-Ron »

Small update.

Getting everything ready to go to the vapour blasters. Removed the water pump but damaged the rear seal a bit. I guess that is now junk?

I also went ahead and pulled the heads off so i can get them refreshed. The valves have a lot of carbon and gunk on them at the back.

The left head came off super easy. Looks like someone replaced that gasket before. But notice the missing oil nipple thing that everyone says to watch out for. Ps: what would be the result of not having it in there? And can i buy it loose from honda?

The right head fought me a bit. The gasket tore as the head came off eventually. This side has the oil nipple.

All in all good progress for about 1.5hrs of work.

I should probably get hold of a fsm. The right head camshaft only has a camshaft seal on the front side. Nothing at the fuel pump side?

The left camshaft had 2 seals back and front. Is this correct?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Correct on camshaft seals. The right rear cam allows oil into the fuel pump drive and tachometer drive. You’re doing it right. New water pump isn’t going to hurt.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

I agree with Eric on the water pump. You can usually bring one back from the dead on the old water pump, but it will usually start leaking soon. Best to replace it now while it's easy if you plan to put a few miles on this bike.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

There is a rebuild kit on eBay, but it’s a tricky rebuild. There a few reports here, some successes, some fails. Worth reading if you want to save a little.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
GT-Ron
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by GT-Ron »

To be honest i dont feel like messing with the rebuild. But is $118 the best price i can expect to pay for an oem pump? Any better deals out there?

It looks like i also need header gasket/seals. And there seems to be gaskets behind the backing plate of the timing belt pulleys. Doesnt look like they do much.