Phat GL: Formerly known as the 82 Bagger

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: 82 Bagger

Post by txtriathlete »

Made some progress on getting the shock stuff sorted. If I can figure out the oil, spring and air combo to permit fully compressing the OEM air shock (and still being able to ride in full inflated mode) I think I can get it where I want it. The OEM will compress to about 9.5" (without any internals). It looks like the rubber dust cover will also compress enough not to cause interference, there's about an inch and a half of shock below the can and the cover compresses down to about an inch so it should be ok.

Some pics:

About 9" of ground clearance when fully compressed.

Looking at it in mockup I think the center stand may have to go away. Which then leaves a nonsense "dent" in the exhaust where the center stand leg tucks in. Not sure which annoys me more at this point.

That said, once its on the ground and I have the extended front forks put on, it may drag the exhaust tips. But since I'm only planning to slam it for static display and not riding, it should be ok. Fishtails would be da bomb...
A few of my favorite things...
82 GL1100 Interstate - The PhatGL - Current Project
77 GL1000 - Next on deck - will be converted to a dual sport
99 Vakyrie Interstate - Daily (when the weather is nice) Driver
78 GL1000 Vetter - Restored to original - Sold
79 GL1000 Vetter - Refurbished as a Driver - Sold
78 GL1000 Naked - Project I never got around to - Sold
78 GL1000 "Old Gold" - The one that started me on this crazy path- Sold

95 20th Anniversary 1500 Wing - Sold
99 Kawi Drifter "Faux Indian" - Sold
03 100th Anniversary Harley Heritage Springer Softail - Sold
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Modifying GL1100 Air Shocks

Post by Track T 2411 »

20190711_151144.jpg
20190711_151144.jpg (114.03 KiB) Viewed 693 times
This is what I use to replace the bumper. Available on Amazon, eBay, etc... The center hole requires enlargement, but it's pretty easy.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

A shocking solution

Post by txtriathlete »

So I looked into purchasing aftermarket air shocks, but they are more than I want to pay if I don't absolutely have to. I thought for a bit about how I might be able to use the stock shocks in an "air only" mode in order to get full compression since the springs prevent the shock towers from collapsing completely. After puzzling a bit on what I might do to modify the factory shocks, I think I have hit on an inexpensive solution. Turns out its actually not that hard.

After pulling the shocks apart
I reassembled the shocks minus the springs and spring pieces - this stuff:
That worked OK until I ramped the pressure up to 100 PSI, when this happened:
This happened because the top of the shock and the upper tube are press fit and not screwed together. Normally the springs hold the shock top tight to the upper canister to keep them from separating. Without the springs, I had to find a way to hold the top of the shock secure to the upper canister.

After thinking on it a bit, here's what I came up with:
I welded a 1/2" fender washer to a nut and threaded it onto the shock. I was then able to thread the shock top onto the shock (washer inside the upper canister) until it was snug against the washer. The washer is wide enough to contact the top of the upper canister so the top is now secure and won't come loose. After test fitting, I pulled it back apart and made a couple of cuts in the washers with a cut off wheel to open up a passage for air to flow into the shock (the small hole on the shock top is where the air comes in). The cuts also make a handy spot to slide a large flat tip screwdriver blade into in order to move the washer around or to hold the nut/washer still when I need to unscrew the shock top next time.

Then I put it all back together
and stuck it on the bike.

But would it hold air?
So far the answer is yes.

I've had it up to 160 PSI for a few hours now with no air loss so I think I am good. Obviously I can't ride the bike to test it further, but I have bounced the bike hard quite a bit and it seems solid. I won't know for sure until I ride it though which is still a long time away.

At 160 PSI there is about 5 1/2" clearance between the rear rail and the tire - full extension.

When I let the air out (70-80 PSI seems to be the deflection point) I have about 1 3/4" clearance.
This is probably low enough for my purposes, I don't think I want the frame (or eventual fender) to actually make contact with the wheel in case the shock decides to let its air out on the road somewhere.

Also, while there are no springs in the shock, there IS oil. ATF to be exact. This is one of the nastiest (30 year old shock oil, anyone?), messiest jobs I've done lately. Having to blow out the seal with compressed air while the shock is full of oil is a nightmare.

Anyway, at this point that wraps up what I wanted to get done on the back of the bike for now. I'll figure out where to locate the air compressor and so on when I actually get to the build part of the project.

On to the front...

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Nice out - of - the - box thinking. It will be interesting to learn how it rides. One issue you might consider is the type/ size of compressor you'll need if you have to run 50+ PSI. Most portable compressors can't provide that much pressure.
I would also suggest not using the original air lines at those levels. They are nearly 40 years old, after all. I've thought about having new lines made for my 1100, but haven't checked into it much. I did happen to see similar fittings, etc. at a hydraulic hose shop (Parker) while getting some hoses made for work...

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Yes, compressor and lines will be new. Stainless, like brake lines if I can find them. I was actually surprised these held for the testing. I was waiting for one to pop partway through. I've looked around online at pumps but not seriously yet, Amazon has 150 PSI pumps for $50 but who knows if they are any good.

txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Front End Service Question

Post by txtriathlete »

Got most of the front end torn down today, but am now stuck on getting the head bearings out. Specifically the nut at the top of the triple tree. IIRC, when I did a GL1000 a while back, I used a hammer and screwdriver and hit it until it started to turn. I tried that with this one but its not turning and the slots in the nut were starting to deform a bit. I assume this nut requires a special unobtainium Honda tool, has anyone made one - like for the swingarm bolt? If so any info on how you did it is appreciated like what size socket, etc. Thanks.

Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

Pipe wrench
txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Shadowjack wrote:Pipe wrench
I ended up just using a big hammer and punch.

txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Got through most of the front end R and R over the past few days. Still need to put the brakes calipers back together. Found some fork tube extensions on Amazon for pretty cheap so gave them a try. Getting close to the stance I'm looking for. The wheel on the bike is not the one I'm using, I have an 83 mag to match the rear - but that one doesn't have a tire on it and I'm not ready to invest in rubber yet, so the old one will have to do for mock up purposes.

I ended up missing the last bit of the pipes in the picture but they are about 3-4" off the floor now with the rear shocks in full compression. I found a nice set of fishtails I think will add to the effect. If I run them straight back off the headers and not tilt them up I can probably get the pipes another 2" lower and the bags lower in turn. But to go that route I will need to cut the mufflers and headers apart. I really, really don't want to do that, they are super clean and I see on Ebay good ones are approaching unobtainium prices. So maybe I can find a decent set of headers somewhere that will work and just use those instead of cutting mine apart.

Do GL1000 headers fit the 1100 heads? Seems they must as I have seen a lot of folks swap heads between 1000s and 1100s. So maybe I can go that route and save these pipes.

Beach bar handlebars are ordered. Between extending the forks and using wider (39") bars I'm not sure the stainless brake hose set I bought will work. May have to go with custom hoses and sell the ones I already bought. Trial and error I guess.

Front engine R and R next up, then a hard decision about carbs - keep the 4 banger rack or go with awesome weber twin stacks? And approaching having to decide on a headlight and turn signals. It's only money...

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

1000 headers will fit. '75-77 headers have the outlet angle more parallel to the ground, '78-79 are angled more upward. Both styles seem to tuck in closer to the frame of the 1100 than the stock exhaust.

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Track T 2411 wrote:1000 headers will fit. '75-77 headers have the outlet angle more parallel to the ground, '78-79 are angled more upward. Both styles seem to tuck in closer to the frame of the 1100 than the stock exhaust.
Sweet. I think I saw a set of 75-77s on ebay. Thanks!

txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Had a "waiting parts" day today without a lot of other projects pending, so took some time to look at the rear fender and start making decisions about what might stay and go and what might need to be fabbed.

While test fitting the fender I noticed there are mounting holes in the fender right about where I need them in order to use the shock bolts to mount the fender. Very helpful!

Initial cuts were to cut two slots for the frame rails (two rectangles on top of the fender)

and remove the frame rails behind the shock bolts.

After flexing the fender wide, I was able to fit the fender over the shock bolts and get it more or less in its final resting spot. Full inflation (Ride height)

And compression (stop/show)

I still need to tidy up quite a bit - the sides are flexed way too far apart due to contacting the frame and parts forward of the frame like the battery box. But I should be able to cut sparingly and get it to tuck in with just a little trimming. The fender is long enough in front that I can use a bolt in the rear foot peg mount to add stabilization to the fender.

Center stand will be going away (sad panda) and I need to think about how low I can run the exhaust and not scrape. Right now they are about even with the bottom of the rim. But all in all its coming together.

And on another note, I test fit the rear signals/stoplight, and it looks like it to will go on with a minimum of fuss. Looks like I'll only need to drill one hole for the lower mounting screw.

txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Had some time today to work on the front end. Got the water pump housing put back together with the pump replaced. I painted the belt covers silver, they needed something, but not sure I like it. I think they will eventually get powder coated black along with the valve covers and floorboards. While waiting on paint to dry for the radiator fittings, started mocking up the front now that I have the headlight and brackets. I really like the way it turned out.
The light bar and lower forks are all going to be black also.

The rear fender and compressed shocks are getting it to the stance I wanted. I like the clean lines of the back with the fender hiding all the business.

I think I may have a conflict with the fender and shocks tho. Upon further inspection it looks like the shocks are whats pushing the fender out.

Right now I'm thinking I might have to cut small peek-a-boo windows in the fender to let part of the top of the shocks protrude out. I think if I cut it right I can make it look good and add a little interest to the plain fender. The top of shocks are also going to be black so it shouldn't be too jarring. Unless I like the look of the chrome tops peeking out.

Time to start thinking about a seat. And I'm still thinking about a front fender. Maybe one from a Shadow ACE. And its getting to be time to figure out what carbs I'll use.

Corey_wicks
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Corey_wicks »

Do we have any updates on this beauty?
txtriathlete
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by txtriathlete »

Haven't had a a lot of time to work on it between holiday travel and other projects. Most of what I have done hasn't been very photogenic, so no pictures. I worked through new mounts for the driving lights and signals. I'm still getting them put back together after painting, I'll throw up a a pic once its on with the light bucket.

I also started looking more seriously at how to get the rear fender to lay down against the frame. I may have an answer for the the shock clearance without cutting, but there are still issues where it meets the frame on the sides. I think I'll have to cut it to fit around the two side panels. Once I get the front end buttoned up - final details on the lights, forks, brakes, etc. - then I can get serious on the rear fender.

I'm procrastinating on the carbs. I have the kit to rebuild them but hate to go to the time and effort if I'm just going to swap them for a dual weber setup which is my ultimate goal. On the flip side I can get the bike dialed in mechanically using the stock carbs so I know its running well before I swap carbs. There's a lot of little things that could cause the bike to not run well as it goes back together, not having to address custom carb issues would make it easier. I can always come back later and swap the carbs/manifolds. It's starting to feel a little like a Phase I, Phase II type of thing now anyway, so carb cleaning and rebuild is probably in my near future.