GL1100 Turbo Project

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

GL1100 Turbo Project

Post by chris937 »

Hi all, first post on the forums and second day as a Goldwing owner. It's already torn to pieces in my garage. Oops!

My bike is a $600 GL1100 with 36k miles that was long overdue for TLC. I bought it with 2+ year old gas, running poorly on choke (surging BAD), old tires, and sticky brakes. Oh and the crankcase is full of gas because I left the petcock on yesterday. :mrgreen:

What on earth was I thinking with this purchase? To put a blow through turbo on it of course! I did one on a VW buggy earlier this year and would love to do it again. The biggest hurdle I foresee is the fabrication style of a 4 into 1 exhaust manifold like the Blake Goldwing turbo system used.

Speaking of, I'm super disappointed to see that I missed a complete GL1100 Blake Turbo System out in Salina, KS. Looks like it sold a couple months ago. Anyone on here buy it? Give me a shout if so. I'd be very interested in purchasing one.

Regardless of that, the bike is going to get a cheap 4 into 1 intake manifold and will be sporting a Pict34 right off a VW until I can assemble all the go-fast bits. I'd love to finish the turbo build by this spring/summer but feel that's a bit overly hopeful.

You guys know some skilled welders who'd be willing to build me a manifold? Or anyone with a Blake system?

So here's the bike as it sits today.
IMG_4667.jpeg
IMG_4667.jpeg (151.61 KiB) Viewed 555 times
And here's the blake system I'm talking about. Link to sales posting.
Blake Turbo System.jpeg
Blake Turbo System.jpeg (204.27 KiB) Viewed 555 times
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL1100 Turbo Project

Post by ericheath »

There’s this guy who goes by HOTT who has another life but has helped one member here fab up a forward running manifold. I believe he just swapped the manifolds side-to-side and went from there. One-off fabrication is expensive.

I’ll find you the build thread here.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45695&p=476967&hil ... bo#p476967

Did you box the carb on your VW?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Better change the belts now. You sure don't want to wipe it out with a snapped belt after all the work.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by chris937 »

ericheath wrote:There’s this guy who goes by HOTT who has another life but has helped one member here fab up a forward running manifold. I believe he just swapped the manifolds side-to-side and went from there. One-off fabrication is expensive.

I’ll find you the build thread here.
Thanks, I’ve seen his thread but I have not delved into the build yet. I was hoping that I could flip the manifolds but the factory double walled pipe left me without much hope. A set of stainless Delkevics would set me back $350 before I started hacking them up.

Unless someone sells downpipes with flanges or I am incorrect about the above, I figured I’ll be 1k into a custom exhaust or into a MIG welder.

Yes, the VW had a 40mm Dellorto with a “hat” but thats a far off consideration once exhaust and ignition systems are sourced and fitted.
pidjones wrote:Better change the belts now. You sure don't want to wipe it out with a snapped belt after all the work.
Probably a good call. I intend to add a hall sensor to the crank for an aftermarket ignition. No better time lol
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

I have that manifold mentioned in the link Eric posted....if you need pictures/measurements just let me know.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

As memory serves me, the pipes are double walled but I can’t recall if all the way. They are divided by a horizontal flat piece for a ways almost all the way to the back before they join before the exit. There are pics here somewhere.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by chris937 »

After doing some reading I really like the work irishcarbomb did on the FIT bike. Mine won't be as customized overall due to time and budget restrictions but his thread has given me a lot of ideas, including several about some preventative maintenance.
wingrider wrote:I have that manifold mentioned in the link Eric posted....if you need pictures/measurements just let me know.
The Blake manifold mentioned above?

Or the manifold from the FIT bike?

Either way I'd be very interested in any measurements and photos you'd be willing to provide. And that you so much for offering. It would be immensely helpful.

PS - Want to sell it? :mrgreen:
ericheath wrote:As memory serves me, the pipes are double walled but I can’t recall if all the way. They are divided by a horizontal flat piece for a ways almost all the way to the back before they join before the exit. There are pics here somewhere.
I'll go hunting. I found a pic of some cut GL1100 manifolds on ebay yesterday and it looked like they would not be useful for mounting a turbo out front due to full length double wall before they hit the collector. Out front is my preferred placement for ease of packaging the intercooler, oil lines, etc.

For what it's worth I still want to cling to this irrational hope that I'll find a manifold I can buy and bolt on or some downpipes I can adapt. I'm a full time single parent to a 3 year old boy so my time is fleeting and precious. These days I'd rather pony up a couple hundred extra dollars for hard to find parts and put my time to better use.
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

chris937 wrote:After doing some reading I really like the work irishcarbomb did on the FIT bike. Mine won't be as customized overall due to time and budget restrictions but his thread has given me a lot of ideas, including several about some preventative maintenance.
wingrider wrote:I have that manifold mentioned in the link Eric posted....if you need pictures/measurements just let me know.
The Blake manifold mentioned above?

Or the manifold from the FIT bike?

Either way I'd be very interested in any measurements and photos you'd be willing to provide. And that you so much for offering. It would be immensely helpful.

PS - Want to sell it? :mrgreen:
ericheath wrote:As memory serves me, the pipes are double walled but I can’t recall if all the way. They are divided by a horizontal flat piece for a ways almost all the way to the back before they join before the exit. There are pics here somewhere.
I'll go hunting. I found a pic of some cut GL1100 manifolds on ebay yesterday and it looked like they would not be useful for mounting a turbo out front due to full length double wall before they hit the collector. Out front is my preferred placement for ease of packaging the intercooler, oil lines, etc.

For what it's worth I still want to cling to this irrational hope that I'll find a manifold I can buy and bolt on or some downpipes I can adapt. I'm a full time single parent to a 3 year old boy so my time is fleeting and precious. These days I'd rather pony up a couple hundred extra dollars for hard to find parts and put my time to better use.
That Blake manifold that ICB had was to far gone, I have the Turbo and manifold from FIT. I can certainly shoot a couple pictures of it, but I modified it to fit a 1200 block, so it is a tad wider than when it was on an 1100... and No, no wish to sell it, as my 77 would feel even more naked without it.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by chris937 »

wingrider wrote:That Blake manifold that ICB had was to far gone, I have the Turbo and manifold from FIT. I can certainly shoot a couple pictures of it, but I modified it to fit a 1200 block, so it is a tad wider than when it was on an 1100... and No, no wish to sell it, as my 77 would feel even more naked without it.
Oh, I didn’t realize you were sporting the FIT components on your bike. Too cool. Pictures would be great for coming up with a rough set of measurements to go off of.

I read the Blake was rusted out in ICB’s thread but similarly I could still use one as a rough template. If anyone reading this has one they’d sell or even rent/loan (at my expense) long enough to make my own, please give me a shout! (I can still hope lol!)

Got the fluids drained and exhaust off. Next up will be pulling the engine. I can’t begin to describe how immensely helpful the write ups from NGW members have been up to this point and I’ve barely scratched the surface of this project.

Thanks so much to everyone who’s shared information on here and elsewhere.
20D1D7BA-95E6-40AB-B78E-190ABCD0F8D6.jpeg
20D1D7BA-95E6-40AB-B78E-190ABCD0F8D6.jpeg (327.34 KiB) Viewed 485 times
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

MBD..you have it too. :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by chris937 »

5speed wrote:MBD..you have it too. :mrgreen:
Multiple bike disorder?
More boost disease??

...I’m not really sure what that acronym means but it’s probably true.
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Not to be pedantic .... but it’s properly called MBS ....

Multiple Bike Syndrome .... no known cure ....

Gord(Semantically)Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
chris937
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by chris937 »

RAT wrote:Not to be pedantic .... but it’s properly called MBS ....

It would seem I am also afflicated! :mrgreen:

Also, if there are any timing experts, I could use you now...

I am trying to find a spec for maximum mechanical advance in *BTDC and for maximum vacuum advance in *BTDC.

The chart below indicates my bike has 13* BTDC static timing. It also indicates it has 38.5* total timing in at 3k RPM. However, I don't know if that spec includes vacuum advance.
electric specs.png
electric specs.png (264.1 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Why does any of this matter? I want to run a safe retarded timing when on boost. If the above spec includes vacuum advance, then I should be able to cap the vacuum advance off, hopefully landing me in the 25-28* range, then retard the static timing another 3-5* to be safe. It wouldn't be ideal but it would be good enough until I can afford to do better.

However, if the above spec is only static + mechanical then I can start planning for a proper digital ignition with boost retard. And fuel injection. That sounds expensive. Better start saving now.
'75 R75/5
'77 GL1000 turbo
'79 SR500E
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

RAT wrote:Not to be pedantic .... but it’s properly called MBS ....

down east we call it multiple bike disease. :P
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)