triple tree clamp and handlebars

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: triple tree clamp and handlebars

Post by 77Gowing »

I have two questions.
What is a riser?
What is a drag bar?

I suppose I should know by now since I've been a member for several years. So yes there is much I'm still ignorant about as it relates to MCs and GWs in general.

Please feel free to fill in some holes in my knowledge.

Regards

Kenny
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
diptenkrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by diptenkrom »

Drag bars are basically flat with an angle bend instead of rise and curve - https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-handlebars/drag-bar

Risers are spacers that lift the mount point of the bar in relation to the top clamp. Some go straight up from stock location, some swivel, and some have an offset that you can move either forward or backward from the centerline by how you mount them. - If you like the look/ of a lower bar, or geometry of a bar you already have, but want more lift out if it, you can use risers.
1986 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade - work in progress - strippin it down.
1998 Honda VFR800FI - Delkovic exhaust - otherwise stock.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Good luck at the car/bike show. I went to a ton of them last summer, and from my experience (East Tennessee area) there are 30 cars to the bike. Except the July 4th show in Rocky Top, which was the opposite. Most of the shows that I went to, I got a trophy because I was the best of the seven or eight (two times the ONLY) bike there. The promoters say they want bikes, but make no effort to encourage the participation. And most motorcycle "rally" events are just drunk V-twin parties.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
diptenkrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by diptenkrom »

yeah. i kinda expect that, but going to go for the 80's 90's aspect. - don't have real high expectations - other than a strong amount of 80's stuff going on!
diptenkrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by diptenkrom »

Okay. this is probably a no go, but any reference for dimensions fro a cbr600f2 or f3 triple tree set vs gl1200? was thinking of trying to use the clamps with the GL1200 forks, but can not find any dimensions for them other than same fork tube size. looking for angle and width. i know bearings and post would have to swap, but i can't find the dimensions for the clamps themselves.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You could always go the same route I have in the past. Find/see something, doesn't have to be what this thread is about, that I might like to use on another bike/project. I find a used one on ebay or some place else. Buy it and see if it will fit or try to make it fit. Yes I might end up with parts on the shelf I don't need. Or even in the scrap pile or resell it. But I know that I did my best to find an option for using it.

Part of doing custom work can be trial and error. I'd rather find out myself if something works or not. Someone telling it does or does not doesn't mean I can't make it work. I've added lot's of parts from one brand of motorcycle to another brand. Also parts from one model to another model. (I do like to stay with like brands if possible).

Me just rambling maybe but I like the thrill/hunt/chase of making something work. Especially when told it won't. Like putting a CBX seat/tail section and front fender on a 76 GL. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

robin1731 wrote:You could always go the same route I have in the past. Find/see something, doesn't have to be what this thread is about, that I might like to use on another bike/project. I find a used one on ebay or some place else. Buy it and see if it will fit or try to make it fit. Yes I might end up with parts on the shelf I don't need. Or even in the scrap pile or resell it. But I know that I did my best to find an option for using it.

Part of doing custom work can be trial and error. I'd rather find out myself if something works or not. Someone telling it does or does not doesn't mean I can't make it work. I've added lot's of parts from one brand of motorcycle to another brand. Also parts from one model to another model. (I do like to stay with like brands if possible).

Me just rambling maybe but I like the thrill/hunt/chase of making something work. Especially when told it won't. Like putting a CBX seat/tail section and front fender on a 76 GL. ;)

I could not have said it better. Part of the fun is seeing if I can make it work. And if a part doesn't work on this build, it might on the next one
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
diptenkrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by diptenkrom »

robin1731 wrote:You could always go the same route I have in the past. Find/see something, doesn't have to be what this thread is about, that I might like to use on another bike/project. I find a used one on ebay or some place else. Buy it and see if it will fit or try to make it fit. Yes I might end up with parts on the shelf I don't need. Or even in the scrap pile or resell it. But I know that I did my best to find an option for using it.

while this is true, i don't want to waste a bunch of money on something that is WAY different. if it is close i am fine with this trial and error, but if it is 2" different then i'll never fit the front wheel in that. if it is CLOSE then i can shave a bushing or have another one made to fit it though. - thanks for the input though! I kinda like the look of the CBR-F2 top clamp and can put whatever bar mount i want to on it as it is a flat solid unit, with a Honda logo on it :)
PDub
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by PDub »

Oldish post I know, but I can actually answer this! These are from a '97 F3 which uses 41mm forks.
F3 Fork Bore Outer to Outer.jpg
F3 Fork Bore Outer to Outer.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 358 times
F3 Fork Bore Outer to Outer 2.jpg
F3 Fork Bore Outer to Outer 2.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 358 times
F3 Offset.jpg
F3 Offset.jpg (92.06 KiB) Viewed 358 times
F3 Tree Length.jpg
F3 Tree Length.jpg (114.18 KiB) Viewed 358 times
F3 Tree Length 2.jpg
F3 Tree Length 2.jpg (107.06 KiB) Viewed 358 times
"Looks and functionality are two different issues. It's like buying what appears to be a showroom kept bike and you get that "wow that's a bike I want" feeling, then you get it home and start the maintenance and voila, here come the skeletons from the closet." - Rednaxs60

1976 GL1000
1988 NT650 (Hawk GT)
1971 CB175
1965 S90
1972(?) CT90
diptenkrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by diptenkrom »

Thanks for the reference points! I will take another look at this when I can spend some more time looking at the bike.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Another option for a cleaner top triple tree might be to use the base of another triple tree. I believe you can heat and press the stem out. It might be cheaper than machine shop work. You would have to cut the turning stops off.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Oldmopars
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Oldmopars »

I can tell you that 1500 triple clamps work on a 1200 (probably a 100-1100 also). I am running a complete 1500 front end (triple, forks, wheel/tire, brakes etc) on my 84 1200.
I know the bike is ugly and dirty, but it shows what a 1500 front end looks like on a 1200.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Is that the 1500 handlebars and controls also?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
bladredhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bladredhead »

ericheath wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 am Another option for a cleaner top triple tree might be to use the base of another triple tree. I believe you can heat and press the stem out. It might be cheaper than machine shop work. You would have to cut the turning stops off.
all 4 cylinder GL (maybe more i've only seen 1000, 1100, and 1200) have the stem very lightly press fit into the lower triple, and welded. they probably don't want you to take them apart, but i've done it with an angle grinder anim-cheers1
Broken 1976 gl1000... and a few others