Another unique 3D printed part for Mr.H

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Another unique 3D printed part for Mr.H

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When I replaced Mr.H's instrument panel and added the speaker/wiring box a few years ago the only place I could find to mount the keyswitch was on the side of the box and even then only if I changed to a CT70 repro one. It originally stuck out pretty far but I didn't like that so I changed it to this
Old mount.JPG
Old mount.JPG (82 KiB) Viewed 332 times
The gray spacer is a piece of plumbing pipe that I machined out with a step drill to fit over the keyswitch so that it was flush with the surface and since that put the mounting lug quite a bit behind the side of the box I had to bend a couple of brass strips to clip over the back edge and bolt to the box.
Plastic pipe mount.JPG
Plastic pipe mount.JPG (61.03 KiB) Viewed 332 times
That was OK for a couple of years but the box is pretty flexible (it started life as a plastic toolbox) and over time it started to deform where the clips were bolted on. When I sit on the seat I can't see it so I I sometimes fumble while putting the key in and a couple of times last year I ended up getting the key between the keyswitch and the side of the hole. Something had to be done.

I was looking for a block of something to make a mount for it from when I thought about Lee looking for projects for his 3D printer. I gave him a sketch with the outside dimensions and a spare keyswitch and a few days later he handed me this
Mount from Lee.JPG
Mount from Lee.JPG (60.46 KiB) Viewed 332 times
But I didn't have time to take it apart last fall (it took about half an hour to get it apart far enough to take the first pic in this post) so it sat in the glove box until this afternoon.

Once it was apart I used a heat gun to soften the box around the hole and squeezed it between a couple of pieces so it would flatten out. Then I drilled pilot holes for the screws and
New mount.JPG
New mount.JPG (87.86 KiB) Viewed 332 times
It looks pretty much the same as before but it is definitely more solid now
Keyswitch installed.jpg
Keyswitch installed.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Another unique 3D printed part for Mr.H

Post by Jonesz »

Nice job. Can't wrap my brain around "printing parts". I am from the pre-scientific era when we used to have to carve false teeth out of wood!
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This is a pretty simple project. I might have been able to cut/carve a block of something (probably hardwood) to fit fairly easily but I would have had to buy have drill bits big enough to bore the hole or spend a lot of time filing it to size and it wouldn't have the ridge that fits in the hole in the box (drilled with a step drill - lots of sizes but you can't go very deep).

If you haven't seen how it is done, the machine uses a 3D drawing to tell it where to lay beads of melted plastic onto a plate and basically builds up the part in layers. If you understand the difference a "3D printer" is really more of a plotter than a printer.

BTW: Lee told me recently that he has come across plans for making a CNC milling machine from (IIRC) a router, some 3D printer parts and some aluminum square tube and asked if there would be stuff he could make on it for me...
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Nice solution. I met a man a couple of years ago that has a whole room full of 3d printers including at least one that prints in metal, all in a remote cabin in the mountains of New Mexico. Prints stuff and sells it on ebay!!!
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: