3D printed custom instrument panel

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

3D printed custom instrument panel

Post by Barrie »

Hi all,

I posted this also on another goldwing forum, but there wasn't much response there. I hope the customizing forum here is a better fit.

When I ran my GL with a fairing and audiosystem installed, I sometimes found that playing music would put too much load on the charging system. To monitor this, I installed a voltmeter; first a small digital one, mounted in a small metal case near the crash bars, but this didn't look right. I then decided to build a custom cockpit, with a voltmeter out of the dash on a 78 a GL1000. The project is finished, and I thought you might appreciate it, so here is a little report.

First, I made a sketch of what it should more or less look like in the end

I got myself two voltmeters to experiment with. I took them apart, and inspected them, and mixed up model-airplane enamels to match the green color of the factory gauges as close as possible. I ended up with a one-to-one mix of the brighter and darker greens, but maybe just the darker green would have been even closer. Either way, it's hard to tell the color apart from the original gauges.

Then, I took out the original cockpit, carefully took its dimensions and transferred them into the computer, adding a sleeve for the voltmeter. This was done in Inkscape which is free open source software. It was difficult to match the rounding of the gauges to the instrument panel/to get the measurements of the curves right. I ended up measuring the width of the original part at multiple points, and then calculated the radius and location of the centers of the gauges that best matched these measurements, using commercial mathematics-lab software ;). This worked out reasonably well.

This design was only 2D, so it needed to be transferred into a 3D program. I used FreeCAD to design the part. The image below is from printing software

Once the design was finished, I got it printed. This took several tries. The first was using a simple printer my brother has at home. Unfortunately, this didn't work out very well: the part came out warped, and the pins for the screws broke off. After that, I got it printer professionally, and tested the fit of the voltmeter

This fitted well. The next step was to even out the surface, then paint it and install the voltmeter and indicator lights (LED). For this, I ordered wires and connectors that matched the honda originals as closely as I could find, so everything should connect without problems

Finally, I installed it on the bike:

I'm really happy with the end result. Even though I no longer have the fairing/audiosystem on the bike, it is nice to be able to keep an eye on whether the bike charges properly.

Since I first fitted it, I have changed the LEDs for super bright ones: I could hardly tell whether the normal LEDs were on or off. The super bright ones are much better, although for high-beam a dim one may be a better choice. At present the high beam LED is kind of blinding! :lol:
1976 Gran' Luxe 1000. Once red, now orange, soon yellow...
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: 3D printed custom instrument panel

Post by ob1quixote »

Nice! I imagine you could slide a number of instruments in the new slot; clock, ammeter etc
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

Thanks! Yes, I think anything from the three instruments on the dashboard of a '78(?) would fit.

It is also possible to adapt the 3D model to fir other instruments. I consider this a first version. For instance, the slot is higher up than the speedometer and tachometer, maybe it looks better when they are equal height. But then the routing of the wires internally may get more difficult...
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

that looks fantastic.. we're gong to need a pic of the entire bike though..and possibly the paint code! :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

Happy to oblige.

Here she's fully dressed

And in the nude...

The paint code is the CB750 color 'sunrise flake orange', and the yellow parts are sulphur yellow, I think. I'm having another set of body panels painted and the whole orange kit is for sale actually, if anyone's interested. There's a bluetooth amplifier and speakers in the fairing...
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Nice fork brace .... haven’t run into that one before ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Very nice work Barrie.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

It's always so amazing to me to see the beauty hidden behind a fairing. Nice job on the instrument cluster.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Barrie wrote:Happy to oblige.

Here she's fully dressed

And in the nude...

The paint code is the CB750 color 'sunrise flake orange', and the yellow parts are sulphur yellow, I think. I'm having another set of body panels painted and the whole orange kit is for sale actually, if anyone's interested. There's a bluetooth amplifier and speakers in the fairing...
I've never been a big fan of fairings but that looks really sharp.
tks for the paint code. I've been looking for something in burnt orange for my 78 build..using an original Honda colour is perfect. :)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

that color pops! What is the other color?

I like the fairing - but I never cared for the V-bags. I'd sell those and keep the fairing.

where did you get the mad skilz to do all that on the computer? I'd be a bit challenged.

what did you use for a cover on the back? Did you make that to fit all the wires?
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

Pony Ruiz wrote:that color pops! What is the other color?

I like the fairing - but I never cared for the V-bags. I'd sell those and keep the fairing.

where did you get the mad skilz to do all that on the computer? I'd be a bit challenged.

what did you use for a cover on the back? Did you make that to fit all the wires?
Thanks!

The yellow is sulphur yellow. Both colors are original honda colors from that period.

The 3d model has room internally for the wires: 1cm diameter tunnelling basically. I used the original back panel.

To do something like this, you need to learn how to use a 3d drawing program. Most are expensive, but freecad is... free/open source. To get started, you just need to follow some tutorials. It is not hard, but you need a goal/project to stick to it. Something like this is perfect to learn!
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Impressive for sure. Ive made some rudimentary desgns on Tinkercad. But nothing like you have done. Would you be willing to sell the printer code? And cad drawing that could be modified and processed via slicer?
Hope I'm not out of line for asking.

Very nice work, indeed though.

Regards.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

77Gowing wrote:Impressive for sure. Ive made some rudimentary desgns on Tinkercad. But nothing like you have done. Would you be willing to sell the printer code? And cad drawing that could be modified and processed via slicer?
Hope I'm not out of line for asking.

Very nice work, indeed though.

Regards.
Hi Gowing, I'd like to see what you've made too. Also, you've got a pm!
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

i will have to send you pics of some of the trinketz Ive made. Havent touched my printer in about a year.
Made an escape mechanizm 1000 times bigger that the mechanizm in a watch.
(Not my desighn, dwn loaded the numerical control file.) It actually works for a couple of minutes. The spring is printed also in PLA filiment.
Pure Korn!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Barrie »

Hi 77GoWing,

I couldn't find your account anymore, but I have now adapted the model to fit a digital voltmeter.

I took the original model, and made a 23*14mm hole at the top, 11mm deep. There's a ledge underneath which may offer a nice seat for the voltmeter.

Below are some pictures. Feel free to contact me if you're still interested.