'90 GL1500 Gone Wild

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: '90 GL1500 Gone Wild

Post by Chipsnsit »

Whiskerfish wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:44 am Most alternators with an internal regulator have a output wire and a feedback or sense wire. It tells the alternator when to reduce output as the battery is fully charged and maintains a target output of say 14.5 VDC So like after cranking to start and the battery is down low the alternator will put out max power to get the battery back up. As the charge in the battery increases the demand goes down. The feedback/sense provides that information to the alternator so it does not cook the battery. I have no idea if the 1500 alternator has an internal regulator or if it is a separate component?? The sense wire should be low amperage. The output wire and associated fuse I would want just above the rated output of the alternator. So if the alt is rated for 40 amps I would go with wiring and fuse for 50.
Thank you for that, this makes sense. action1 anim-cheers1

The alternator in the 1500 has an internal regulator, so then 10A should suffice for the sense wire and the OEM fuse was a 55A which I will continue to use.

It’s starting to come together now!
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Chip, I am in the middle of a similar project. I was given a 1500 a couple of years ago with unknown problems and that had been partially disassembled. I have been stripping stuff off at odd moments between other projects with the end goal of a stripped runner (aka rat bike) or maybe eventually a reverse trike. I recently went through the carbs and cleaned and reinstalled. Not sure what to do with all the vacuum lines. The bike will now start and sounds OK but will not take fuel except by direct introduction into the venturis. Someone suggested it needed the pressure from the fuel pump which has not been installed yet and someone else implied that without connecting some or all of the vacuum lines it would not draw fuel into the bowls. Any thoughts or help with that?
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

Easter, I’m not there yet. I just got my header gaskets in today. I finished cleaning the headers and got two coats of BBQ Black paint on them. Working on getting my grounding wires all hooked in. I’m hoping the vacuum isn’t super important to make the fuel go, but I am seeing the line from the petcock down to the left side of of the engine.

I can send you a scan of the vacuum diagram from my service manual if you’d like to look over it.
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

It is super important. The stock fuel petcock (if operating correctly) needs a vacuum line in order to open. It can be modified to remove that need but then you're reliant on the float valves to keep your cylinders from filling with fuel and risking hydro-lock - these bikes don't have a manual petcock. The real motivating factor here is these starters can break internal gears if hydro-locked. Best to get the vacuum line hooked up and the diaphragm working correctly. Rebuild kits are available.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

I was afraid of that. I’ll trace out that line to make sure it stays then.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

The vacuum line for the petcock comes from the manifold directly to the petcock valve and is unrelated to the carb vacuum lines, so while important, is not my problem. I wasn't clear before in that I was trying to feed fuel from a gravity bottle directly into the carb fuel lines and the carbs would not accept any fuel. So if anyone has any thoughts on that I would appreciate input. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but maybe Chipnsit will benefit as well.
Bikes at present:

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Easter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm The vacuum line for the petcock comes from the manifold directly to the petcock valve and is unrelated to the carb vacuum lines, so while important, is not my problem. I wasn't clear before in that I was trying to feed fuel from a gravity bottle directly into the carb fuel lines and the carbs would not accept any fuel. So if anyone has any thoughts on that I would appreciate input. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but maybe Chipnsit will benefit as well.
Are the 1500 carbs vented? If so are the vents on yours open? I've had bikes in here that had the vent lines closed off. That will not let fuel get in to the bowls.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Thanks Robin, will check.
Bikes at present:

Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

Well, another setback strikes.

First the good news!
I got my clutch slave cylinder seals in and was able to put that back together and mounted back on/in the bike. Most of my wiring is in place, some sensors need to be connected and the Speedo/cluster needs to be connected and mounted.

Now for the SNAFU.
I had the exhaust gaskets come in last week and got the headers cleaned up and painted to stop the rusting that was going on. With the clutch going back together I could see about getting the engine to turnover. As I was working the left header back on to the block I snapped the front stud clean off. It got dark and I didn’t think to take any pictures and it’s was raining yesterday.

Now I get to order a couple new studs and nuts and I’m going to invest in a metric tap and die set to clean up the threads on the studs I still in the block as well as the holes that should have studs (currently looking at BikeMaster set).

I’ll try to remember to get pictures today.
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

Well, I put my headers back on and wanted to see if the engine turns but when I go to start it all I get is clicking, what did I forget to put back in there?
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Sounds like the solenoid is engaging- or at least trying to. Make sure your battery is sufficiently charged and check the big wire connections from the battery, through the solenoid to the starter. Also check your battery grounding wire for a good connection to the frame.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Just to isolate the problem you can use jumper cables and go directly from a known good battery to the starter terminals and a good frame ground. If it turns over then you can back track to the solenoid and battery, etc. Be sure the hot wire doesn't ground on the starter case or frame.
Bikes at present:

Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

It was a grounding issue with the m.unit. The ground connection to the solenoid wasn’t good enough to support the required amps so it would cut the connection which would reset the solenoid clearing the error without triggering the notification.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Used the M. unit on a build a couple of years ago and enjoyed working with it but a bit pricy for the kind of stuff I build and flip. Anyway, the good news here is that I sorted out the fuel flow issue on my 1500 project. Apparently the float valves were stuck shut following cleaning and reassembly. Finally resorted to using the air compressor to blow air and fuel into the carbs. After that it would take fuel and run just fine. I replaced the original fuel pump with a cheap Chinese version but it seems able to keep up with the requirements of the engine at higher rpm. Not sure of the longevity but the important thing for me at this stage was to get it running. Regarding the air hoses, I ended up plugging them all off with Q-tips and it seems to run fine.
Bikes at present:

Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

Going to get my headers installed tonight, I cleaned up the right side bolts and got a new stud installed, just need to tighten up the headers and then sort out my wiring one final time. I think I am going to mount the m.unit to the front side of the rear fender. I need to fabricate a mount for the fender still and I need to smooth out the seat pan edges and get it upholstered and mounted. Next on the list is testing the fuel that was left in there and see about getting the engine to fire up. Hope I got all the vacuum ports plugged, I will know soon enough.
Attachments
Close up of headers
Close up of headers
90C60D80-A1C7-4A8A-830F-6BEE4EF521B3.jpeg (302.53 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Lower Right profile
Lower Right profile
4288C9B9-2D75-49E8-8B9E-202015B338A4.jpeg (403.95 KiB) Viewed 337 times