'90 GL1500 Gone Wild

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

'90 GL1500 Gone Wild

Post by Chipsnsit »

Hi everyone,

Hoping to start documenting and sharing the transformation of my first wing.

I bought my Wing in June 2018 from a dealer "As-Is" with ~73,000 miles. Seemed a little dent and scratch but, I needed something that was going to carry my 6'3" self 90 miles twice a week and this was the answer!
:crosso
Just got home with my new Wing.
Just got home with my new Wing.
20180702.jpg (168.63 KiB) Viewed 921 times
After about a month riding around there were some blemishes that I thought would be easy to tackle, originally thinking about restoring it to full Wing status. A few months later I discovered how unrealistic that would be for me. While repairing one of the side panels, I rode around without it for a week and when I went to put it on the holes didn't line up. I pulled up on the saddlebag on that side and noticed the holes could line up. Investigating further I took a look in the service manual that came with the bike, took off my seat and noticed that there was only one bolt holding the upper part of the sub-frame on. Moving on the the other two bolts I found that they were also missing! :shock: I ran to the local hardware store and bought new bolts for the sub-frame, got everything lined up and rode on thanking God nothing catastrophic happened while I was riding over 300 miles during the last month.
A few months in, scrapped the arm rests, the upper back support, and the side wind panels.
A few months in, scrapped the arm rests, the upper back support, and the side wind panels.
20181007.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 921 times
By early Fall I got my family all moved into a place closer to work, ~10 miles now, and started taking my son to school on the way to work. I noticed the certain dips in the road would lead to the rear wheel housing bottoming out, I could hear and feel the tire rubbing on the plastic. Since the show must go on and I didn't really have any other viable transportation we rode on for a few weeks until I could investigate further. When I got the chance I took the saddlebags and trunk off to find that my air-shock on the right side had sheared and was providing zero support for the rider(s). :shock: confused22 Thanking God once again that nothing catastrophic happened. action1

The day before Halloween we moved once more, now we were about three miles to my work and the boy could walk to school. I searched eBay for a new shock and came u on a pair of regular shocks, which I figured would be fine until I got some funding to get serious about the restoration. By September 2019 I no longer felt safe riding and by Thanksgiving 2019 I started taking the apart the trunk and saddlebags to discover why I was still bottoming out and that was when I decided to start the transformation. This time I took the trunk and saddlebags off piece by piece instead of all together. the subframe was shot! censored2

By the start of the new year I had removed almost all the plastics and was sad to realize that there was no way I going to get this bike back to it's former glory without spending a small fortune. Introduce NGWClub.com! anim-cheers1 What can I do with my GL1500 that's not aimed a restoring it? I was always thinking about what to do and looking at sweet pictures of GoldWings that have been completely reconfigured to look nothing like what it was while my bike sat and I tried to create some more flow to prepare to tackle my project.
All the way naked!
All the way naked!
20200705_131234.jpg (155.96 KiB) Viewed 921 times
I am now a year from retiring from the Marine Corps and have moved my family to another state in preparation for that day which has magically opened up a lot more time to research, decide and take action on my poor neglected Wing. I will get some photos up post haste that correspond with my story. Thanks to PedroTQ and his project '90 GL1500 for giving me hope that a newer wing can be naked too!
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: '90 GL1500 Gone Wild

Post by Rat »

Big project .... at least you’re starting with a good runner ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

Chipsnsit, thank you for your service to the people of the United States of America.
You are undertaking a difficult and complicated project, but I guess you are used to that.
The seat, some of the body panels, the stereo system, the lcd screen and other parts that you've removed are worth some pretty good money to GL1500 enthusiasts.
So much of the carburation, ignition, safety and electronics are linked together with fuses and relays and such tucked in nooks and crannies under the plastic you would do well to pull it apart incrementally and make sure it will still start and run after you remove anything.
But sincerely, good luck!

HoganJr
1991 GL1500
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

hoganJr wrote:Chipsnsit, thank you for your service to the people of the United States of America.
You are undertaking a difficult and complicated project, but I guess you are used to that.
Thank you for your appreciation. It is certainly a huge undertaking and I hate that it will take so long to get this all sorted. But, that's what projects are all about, right?
hoganJr wrote:The seat, some of the body panels, the stereo system, the lcd screen and other parts that you've removed are worth some pretty good money to GL1500 enthusiasts.
I have it all set aside and will be prepping it for sales soon. Stereo still works great, as does the cluster, the snap on panels would need someone serious love but they do work in a pinch I suppose.
hoganJr wrote:So much of the carburation, ignition, safety and electronics are linked together with fuses and relays and such tucked in nooks and crannies under the plastic you would do well to pull it apart incrementally and make sure it will still start and run after you remove anything.
This is why I am so thankful to those that have gone before me and made these things work. My main task right now is to get an accurate wire map of what I am keeping and collect up all of the harness very carefully. I already lost my bank angle sensor when I was removing everything from the rear sub-frame and the bike won't start without that. Luckily those are fairly low cost.
BobManifold
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BobManifold »

Take a 94 GL1500, Couple cases of Beer, Packet of saw blades, and a fair amount of patience to confirm which 7 wires out of the thousands in the harness are needed, and you get Tangerine Dream....
Imagehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/aYWaSNbrfe8vUWML9
Needed one change on carb jetting......a lot of fun to ride.....accerates like a dragster, spins wheel in 1st and 2nd, will hit rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (how many people new GL1500 have rev limiters?)
We threw away about 400+pounds of tupperware, frame tubes, crashbars, mufflers, wiring harnes, electronics, vacuum solenoids and hoses....the list goes on...
Bob Manifold

Older, fuller-figured, bike nut living in rural Connecticut

94 GL1500A Really Naked, Tangerine Dream
81 GL1100 Naked, Carbon Fibre Black Beauty
81 GL1100 based Ice Racing Sidecar
78 BMW R100/7 (Original Owner) My regular ride nowadays
86 CR500 Ice Racer
77 Ex-Works FANTIC 200 Trials Sidecar (Will Hawkes bike)
99 Montessa 305 Trials Sidecar
99 Ex-Works Bultaco Sherpa (Andreu Codina's bike)
79 Bultaco 199A Sherpa
65 Honda CA77 305 Dream
73 Yamaha DT250
81 XR500 (600cc) StarRacer Dirttrack
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Wow ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

welcome and thank you for your service.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Arwinger
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Arwinger »

I can not wait to see where you go with this build because i have an 89 that will be stripped and turned into some form of monster if I ever get mt ideas together. It is a scary sight once you have them stripped to the point you are at. As for Bobmanifold that is fargin awsome. I guess i need some beer and friends so i can get started.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Nice bike BobManifold, any plans for a headlight or is that something I missed. Chipsnet, keep us updated, lots of choices to make for sure.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
BobManifold
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by BobManifold »

Interesting you ask... I got around the headlights by using White LED Strips top and bottom of the front plate.....$4 each on Banggood... these are really bright, although they dont have a focused beam, you CANNOT ignore them...
Indicators, are yellow versions of the same on left and right if the front plate.
Rear lights and indicators are combined in a a 14 inch LED strip mounted on the rear of the seat... effective and legal.
I didnt like putting mirrors on, so I used a reversing camera mounted underneath the seat, and a 5x3 Screen mounted under the instrument console, another fully featured item for $40 from Banggood
Bob Manifold

Older, fuller-figured, bike nut living in rural Connecticut

94 GL1500A Really Naked, Tangerine Dream
81 GL1100 Naked, Carbon Fibre Black Beauty
81 GL1100 based Ice Racing Sidecar
78 BMW R100/7 (Original Owner) My regular ride nowadays
86 CR500 Ice Racer
77 Ex-Works FANTIC 200 Trials Sidecar (Will Hawkes bike)
99 Montessa 305 Trials Sidecar
99 Ex-Works Bultaco Sherpa (Andreu Codina's bike)
79 Bultaco 199A Sherpa
65 Honda CA77 305 Dream
73 Yamaha DT250
81 XR500 (600cc) StarRacer Dirttrack
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

BobManifold wrote:Take a 94 GL1500, Couple cases of Beer, Packet of saw blades, and a fair amount of patience to confirm which 7 wires out of the thousands in the harness are needed, and you get Tangerine Dream....
Imagehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/aYWaSNbrfe8vUWML9
Needed one change on carb jetting......a lot of fun to ride.....accerates like a dragster, spins wheel in 1st and 2nd, will hit rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (how many people new GL1500 have rev limiters?)
We threw away about 400+pounds of tupperware, frame tubes, crashbars, mufflers, wiring harnes, electronics, vacuum solenoids and hoses....the list goes on...
Bob! I have seen your post and I dig the concept! Looks like I dragged you out of hiding. lolol
I am going to keep reverse and make a new harness, thanks to PedroTQ for the inspiration on that and a VERY nice Youtube video of a gentleman making a complete engine harness for his car I have the footage and virtual experience to update my 30 year old wiring.

To everyone else,

I am still trying to tackle the wiring but working through creating a wire map of what I am keeping on excel, I will attach it once I finish because it will make it easier to look at that the diagram mess of wires when you want to build it.

Hopefully I will get some extra income generated this weekend and I can get some stuff ordered! once the wiring is fixed then I can focus of the other important stuff like a faux tank, seat, handlebars and silly things like that. I am thinking about putting collectors on what is left of my exhaust, not sure how the engine will like that though.

Safe riding!
Attachments
during my tear down I realized how broken the sub-frame was.
during my tear down I realized how broken the sub-frame was.
received_2487033524890433.jpeg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 831 times
You can really see the sub-frame here.
You can really see the sub-frame here.
received_812648632523495.jpeg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 831 times
got neglected for a bit while I was trying to get my house packed and moved.
got neglected for a bit while I was trying to get my house packed and moved.
received_782222435536514.jpeg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 831 times
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

Cheaper to buy this $100 subframe and get on with riding the Finest Wing model ever made.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-HONDA-GOLDW ... 4635211675

Buddy donated his blue 90 with 385k that purred like new, so don't let yours pass you by :<)

Pro GL1500 :<)
Attachments
gl1500.jpg
gl1500.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 774 times
MVC-007F (2).JPG
MVC-007F (2).JPG (63.03 KiB) Viewed 774 times
wing airplane.JPG
wing airplane.JPG (121.26 KiB) Viewed 774 times
lonepine.JPG
lonepine.JPG (75.19 KiB) Viewed 774 times
194_6687.JPG
194_6687.JPG (91.7 KiB) Viewed 774 times
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

Owned 3 since 89, worked for me @ 165 lbs.
Attachments
DVGL (3).JPG
DVGL (3).JPG (50.86 KiB) Viewed 769 times
GL1500_Engine_Removed.jpg
GL1500_Engine_Removed.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 769 times
MVC-001F (4).JPG
MVC-001F (4).JPG (93.15 KiB) Viewed 769 times
MVC-012F (3).JPG
MVC-012F (3).JPG (54 KiB) Viewed 769 times
MVC-003F (5).JPG
MVC-003F (5).JPG (79.87 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Chipsnsit
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Chipsnsit »

So it has certainly been a minute since I have been on here. Hope everyone is doing well, I got busy and then lazy and continued to find excuses to not work on my bike. Now I have about 2 months to get it running so I can move it when I retire from active duty.

Wiring is tiring!
The old harness, clearly not on the bike.
The old harness, clearly not on the bike.
20210311_221430.jpg (192.56 KiB) Viewed 680 times
I'm still trying to figure out what I can ditch, the air solenoids have me scratching my head. Anyone know if I can remove them all or at least the "shot air" solenoid valve? It sounds like Bob tossed it all.

Planing to do something close to what Bob has created, different look though. I was thinking about keeping reverse but, that's another control box and extra stuff I have to find a home for so the more I consider that I really just want it to run and have lights. And for the lighting, horn and eventually the cluster I am going with the motogadget m.unit setup. This is going to make a much simpler harness with the removal of most of the relays and fuses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers anim-cheers1
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I take it your wing is fuel injected?
do a carb swap and get rid of all the electronics except for an ignition source. :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)