86 1200 Aspencafe

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

86 1200 Aspencafe

Post by excildor »

My 1st Wing. I got her, jeze almost 2 years ago now. From an office lady where I work. It had been her husband's, tucked away in a shed for 8-9 years. I gave her $500 for it sight unseen, I didn't really want a 1200 but I wanted to help her out. Plus I got a bike, 38k and a title figured it was worth it. I wish I'd taken more pics along the way.

I pushed it into the garage, put a battery from another bike in fingers crossed. No dice, only half the gauges lit up and wouldn't roll over. So I started tearing into it. Pulling all the plastic, the shelter had been home to at least one mouse. I think
I repaired 10 wires(soldered and shrink wrapped). At about that point I found this site and realized I should do some other things before firing it up anyway. So I went back to stripping it down. Here is my grand daughter Working on getting the gauges and air ride out. Seriously I turned around for seconds and she was on the table, lol.

Dinner then out to the garage, started the seat last night. I'll post more later.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: 86 1200 Aspencafe

Post by excildor »

After pulling the digital dash and air ride parts from the fairing I popped the badges off and tossed the rest. Pulled the carbs off for cleaning. They where a gummy mess and in need of polishing.

After that I moved on to replacing the timing belts and new tensioners.

Next up was new rubber front and back and while I was at it wheel bearings and polished the wheels. The upper fork tubes had some light pitting so I ordered a good set. Polished the lowers, replaced fork seals, dust caps and swapped the stock springs for progressive ones.

Before installing the rear wheel I pulled the drive shaft and applied moly then reinstalled.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Checked the water pump for play while I was doing belts and tensioners, seems tight in all directions.

Brake and clutch master cylinders needed cleaning. New brake pads all around, bleeding them took me days.

The massive exhaust of course had to go so I replaced it with upswept Lextek mp4's and db killers. I used mid pipes from cbr 600rr to join them to the headers.

At this point I installed a new battery and made a bracket to mount up the digital dash. I hadn't had it running yet. Happy to report it fired up with little protest and seems to run like a champ.

Then on to controls, this was a chore and took me a long time to get working. I ended up making plates that also serve as a mounting spot for hangers for the mid pipes. Positioning on the left side gave me fits because the starter loves being in the way of the shift linkage. So I had to have a pivot point in there. Its not pretty but it works.

Last edited by excildor on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Looks great so far, love the rear sets.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MikeNTexas »

Nice. Look forward to the progress.
1975 GL1000 Restored (sold)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Great work ... watching closely ...

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Over the weekend I worked on trying to find a way to mount the stock digital gauges. My original plan was to pull them and trim the dash to just the bit that covers them. Then mount them in a reproduction Rickman Race fairing. They fit great in the fairing but I didn't like the way the fairing fit. So I swapped for a viper fairing I had kicking around. They fit great in that too.

I pulled the fairing to get started on paint prep. When I came back into the garage, looking at the front of the bike I thought "my god it looks bad ass with no fairing". So I ordered a nicer headlight bracket(need a nicer bucket now too) and tossed the viper back on the shelf. Compared to my other bike(81 cb650c) the wing is already lower in the front, with clip-ons even more so. The fairing just took away from that and made it taller. Overall I'm shocked at how small and compact the wing looks naked.

Now I'm back to having this big honking gauge cluster. Looked horrible as is, so I gutted the electronics out. 86 tech...wow still big, lol. I've seen where some people have tucked it inside the shelter. Maybe I could live with that, I guess I really just want the fuel gauge. Finding a tach that doesn't go too high seems hard too. I'll probably waste a few days trying to build an enclosure for it that doesn't suck. Fail and stick it in the shelter, lol we'll see.

I had a fender for the cb on the shelf(I bent it backing up in a hurry one day) and thought lets see how that fits. Not sure I did it the right way. Had to use a couple spacers and trim the inner fender, I like it.

Then I started playing with some foam, to build the seat hump. Epic failure, it was fun though. I picked up this really cool tail light, one of those infinity mirror ones that looks like rings of light that go on forever. It's a 4 inch light though and recessing it in the hump made it huge. Back to the drawing board.

excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

I was just thinking I could probably mount the digital gauges inside the shelter. Then cut a window in the upper door to see it through the door.

I already painted the shelter, I'd hate to ruin it. Shame the 1200 door wont fit the 1100 shelter.[facebookvideo]https://www.facebook.com/jim.young.7927 ... 6085402390[/facebookvideo]
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

So I got back at it this morning. Worked on cutting the side covers down a bit more. The idea was to make them look better with the 1100 shelter. Then sanded, primed, sanded, base, baby flake/candy and then spray max 2k clear.

While I was at it, I did the same to my make shift gauge housing.

Sanded the shelter with some 800 grit and more clear there as well.

Just before the rain rolled in. Used some aluminum and the stock plate light(wasn't sure it would polish up, but it did) to build a plate bracket.

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

following
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looking good! Are you using rattle can paint?
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Yep, rattle can. I used SEM high build primer, Roth skid mark black base, Roth Rajun Red and spray max 2k clear. Pics don't really do it justice, It has soo much sparkle outside in the sun. Really great color.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thanks for the info!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

dang, I thought you had taken a pic of my 86 1200.

so are you losing the saddlebags & trunk too?

I'm also definitely following your progress on this. wow.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Ya I trashed the saddle bags. I did keep the trunk thinking I might adapt it for long rides, though I'm thinking I won't bother.

I worked on timing down the wiring harness to the gauges and wired up all the lights last night. Well minus a tail light still need to figure out what I'm going to do there.

I worked on the seat some more and decided to just adapt the Saddlemen seat that was on my cb 650, for the time being. Then came in and pulled the trigger on a custom Texavina seat, looking forward to that!

If I can keep my focus on it this weekend, I might get to take it for a ride.