86 1200 Aspencafe

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: 86 1200 Aspencafe

Post by excildor »

Ugh this morning the right front turn signal refuses to work. So I pulled the seat and shelter back off. Position light is fine(so the ground must be good), left front/rear works, right rear works. If I swap left to right/right to left, the left signal doesn't work, so the bulb and wiring to the "fairing harness" plug is good. I only trimmed stuff that wasn't plugged into anything, radio, air comp checked and triple checked on the wiring diagram. So I pulled the whole harness apart again and followed the light blue signal wire all the way to the end of the "fairing harness" and it appears good after some lunch I'll try cleaning the main harness plug, hope that does the trick....waste of a morning.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Well that was disappointing lots of cleaning connectors, plugging in different turn signals to the harnesses and head scratching to find the brand new signal housing had shit the bed. Swapped it with an old one off the shelf that almost matches the other three, problem solved.

Now the right flashes faster than the left though. I put the newer bulb in the old housing, none are led. Any ideas?
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

I'm following with great interest. Lots of creative work happening!
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Another strange problem. My temp gauge is reading near over heating even when the bike is cold, not been running. It didn't do that before, so I'm thinking some short in the green/blue wire somewhere. Taking it apart again lol.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

I got that sorted pretty quick. Followed the temp sender wires to a red plug under the shelter. Which had some how collected a bunch of metal shavings. I got lazy one night and decided to wrap an old sheet around the front while I chopped off the handlebar risers. Must have had been unplugged for it to get in there.

I stopped yesterday and grabbed some 3m molding tape. My badges were looking pretty rough so I repainted the black with a small brush and shot some spray max 2k clear over them. Side cover badges turned out just ok, tank badge not so good. I'll have to strip that one and try using a syringe I guess. We don't seem to have a lot of options for those though. I didn't have much luck searching for fresh ones online. What I did find was waaayyy too expensive.

I need to get those put back on today. I flushed the coolant system twice with purified water last night and filled it with fresh coolant/water mix. I need to go pick up a bit of hose to replace the rad to overflow bottle as its leaking a bit on the rad side. Build a couple of of mounts for the front of the shelter. Then I think it's ready for a(or 50 lol) really slow ride(s) around the block.

I got mail from Texavina this morning seat is done, now just the long wait for it to get here.

Last edited by excildor on Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

It just popped into my head that I'll likely have to build some sort of stop for the center stand. So it doesn't thrash my exhaust.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

After my wife went to work I snuck into her craft room. Used her Cricut tools to remove the old adhesive and apply new.The spatula looking thing worked very well on the old sticky tape.

tory
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by tory »

Do you still have the saddlebags? I have been looking for lids that same color for my 86. Previous owner got a little to fancy for me airbrushing mine.
1978 GL1000
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
With California Sidecar
1965 CA95 Benly
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

I'm sorry I don't. Just the trunk is all I have left.

I just spent almost an hour rolling around town on it! I need to make some adjustments. Those rear sets are going to take some getting use to, I can feel it happening already though. The exhaust has a mellow crackle to it when I roll off the throttle. Maybe the carbs need adjusted, I should probably buy a sync tool. I very much like the sound though.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

A couple shots of the mounts for the gl1100 shelter. First I got the shelter sitting where I wanted it. Then I made a mock up of the plate for the rear mount from cardboard. It bolts to where the front seat mounts. Then I cut it from 1/4 aluminum plate.

Marked the holes for the tank mount, took it off and drilled. The seat mount here is off center to accept the cb650 seat. I'll need to build a new rear(maybe front too) mount when the custom seat arrives. The front was even easier I just started with a aluminum strip rounded one end and drilled a hole. Bent the existing tabs on the bike to be parallel with the tabs at the front of the tank, held the stripes up to it marked the length, cut and drilled for a bolt/nut.

The horns are mounted there as well until I find a better place. The gl1100 tank fits pretty well, wasn't bad on the wallet really either. I just watched ebay for a bit until I saw one that wasn't stupidly priced. I did remove some of the brackets from the frame that hold wiring connectors to make it fit better.
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

Almost there, still need a new head light, maybe a tail light, a bunch of polishing, need to build some new mounting tabs for the rear signals, not really loving the gauge box and get some shorter brake/clutch hoses.

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

I need to hear the sound from those pipes! Bike looks really nice. Good work
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
LastMohawk
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LastMohawk »

Hi there,
a very nice cafewing. I like the look of the exhausts.
A question. Which clipons did you use? Because I have problems with the false tank and clipons. You bump against it when you turn to left or to the right side.

greeting
Harald
"Sometimes it takes more than luck to keep the wheels spinning just right."

77 GL1000 "Uschi"
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have hgad the same problem with clip-on's. Solved it by changing the distance the bars can travel, by modifying the stock fork stops at the bottom of the triple tree . Welding a small bolt on eather side to limit the travel of the fork
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
excildor
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by excildor »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ML ... =UTF8&th=1

I bought those ones, thought I'd try them and If I liked the position upgrade later. I'm really liking the adjustability these have. I'm sure there are much better clip-ons out there. I haven't had any issues with them hitting the shelter. Maybe it is because they sit out in front of the fork tubes a bit? I like them and they do seem like they are worth more than they cost.

I worry that if I have to really muscle the bike around, they may spin upward. It hasn't happened yet but its in my head. Once I'm sure they are where they're going to stay I might drill n tap a hole in the bottom to lock them in place with a bolt.