Deal's Gap Eclipse Trip

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Deal's Gap Eclipse Trip

Post by CYBORG »

I've run it hundreds of times over the years, and as they say "the thrill is gone". It has evolved, and in my opinion, not in a good way. I prefer to remember it the way it was. And I agree, there are many good roads in the area that are less crowded.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I grew up in Western North Carolina (Hickory). Tarheel through and through. Those roads are all over - one of my favorites as a lad and now is 221 between Linville and Blowing Rock. Virtually no traffic and lots of curves.

But, curvy roads are all over the country. Not just Western NC. Take Arizona, for example ...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

Whiskerfish wrote:The gap itself is OK but for me personally I enjoyed the roads in the area more than the Dragon in specific.
+1
The Cherohala skyway is a good example in my opinion. The dragon is more of a "bucket list" road than anything else, if you're in the area you might as well ride it just to say that you did just don't go there on a weekend if you want to avoid the speed demons.
Scott
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

I got lucky, I think, when I ran it on Monday. There was traffic, sure, but not what I would consider excessive. I wouldn't exactly call it "relaxing" either, at least not for me. Coming from the flat straightness of Michigan, exciting for me doesn't take much.

I agree, though, LOTS of good roads out there. For every route I ran, there were 7 I wanted to but never did. Range was an issue (I think my fuel gauge float is set a bit high, so I was "running out" of fuel sooner than I actually was), along with what I'm hoping is altitude related running problems, but I'm glad I went, and I'm happy I brought the bike I did.

I'd love to go back. But until then, I've got plenty of photos to post tomorrow, along with the story of how I almost died in Kentucky today. Stay tuned!
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

:popcornx2
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

I got the same impression as Whiskerfish. Here I am TOTALLY focused on getting this 35 year old wallowing pig of a bike through these turns as fast I can and WANNNNGGGGGGG!!!!! a sport bike whips by scaring the bejesus out of me. :IDTS:
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

How'd I miss this??II??