77 hours

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 77 hours

Post by sgwilly »

Lolo pass is where Lewis & Clark crossed. I kept looking into the woods while driving that road and all I could think was, Holy Crap. They came through here carrying their stuff already 16 months into the unknown. People sure were a lot tougher back then.

"The explorers took 11 agonizing days (September 11-22, 1805) to traverse the trail—the most arduous stretch in their entire journey to the Pacific. Battling rain, sleet, and deep snow, as well as hunger and dangerous mountain terrain, often hacking their way through dense underbrush and around fallen timber, gasping for breath in the rarefied mountain air, and eating some of their horses for sustenance, the half-frozen and thoroughly exhausted men trudged wearily onward. For some time, it appeared they might be stranded in the mountains or forced to turn back. To add to their woes, Old Toby, who had passed over the trail only once years before, strayed from the main branch along the high ridges and descended to the Lochsa River, a detour that added at least a day of travel."

They ate Old Toby.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

I hang it up, late July 2021, something like the 29th...

hang back a bit, I will catch up...
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I think it was 4, but the last was about a decade ago. Maybe next spring....
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Hard to tell by your map but it looks like you plan to blast through Yellowstone. First of all there is no such thing as blasting through Yellowstone due to tourists and wildlife. Also, if you spent so much time and effort to get there you should spend a day and at least do the lower loop. Here is a link to the attractions just on the lower loop.

http://www.greater-yellowstone.com/Yell ... stone.html

Some folks go to Yellowstone just for the "Fire Loop". Fly Rusty into Cody and take her to Glacier from there. A better idea as far as flying is concerned is to fly her into Billings and then you can both do Beartooth pass into the park.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Having spent some time in and around Glacier and having stayed at a couple of different places I would recommend St Mary Lodge and Cabins located right at the junction of Going to the Sun Road and US 89. Do not be shocked at the prices as they usually are one of the most reasonable places to stay in the whole area. Make your reservations now, I'm serious. Decent and convenient lodging can be really hard to come by on the fly during the peak season. If you wait you might be commuting from Missoula every day which is a haul.

https://www.glacierparkcollection.com/l ... y-village/

You'll need a passport or other documents to cross the border but Canada's Waterton Peace Park is a really nice visit. It borders Glacier on the north side and is accessed from the east.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

I'll be watching for updates, depending on your route in Montana you may go right past my home! Are you camping or ? Always can make room, or provide a grassy spot for a tent. Shop space too if needed. Looks like fun!
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Sagebrush wrote:Having spent some time in and around Glacier and having stayed at a couple of different places I would recommend St Mary Lodge and Cabins located right at the junction of Going to the Sun Road and US 89. Do not be shocked at the prices as they usually are one of the most reasonable places to stay in the whole area. Make your reservations now, I'm serious. Decent and convenient lodging can be really hard to come by on the fly during the peak season. If you wait you might be commuting from Missoula every day which is a haul.

https://www.glacierparkcollection.com/l ... y-village/

You'll need a passport or other documents to cross the border but Canada's Waterton Peace Park is a really nice visit. It borders Glacier on the north side and is accessed from the east.

Rusty's hip arthritis is a limiting factor on the back seat. She is only good for about 200 miles a day after that she can not walk. So the plan is to fly her into Missoula and base from Kalispell at least while she is there. Currently everything on the East side of Glacier is locked down for Covid and not taking reservations. I should be able to book next month at the Kalispell La Quinta there for about 260 a night I think. The "lodges" I looked at were all 3-400 plus and out of my reach. We will not be venturing North of the line. We did a week in Yellowstone 30 odd years ago so I am thinking one full day will give me what I need.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

I don't know if you looked at the link to St. Mary Village or not but they are booking from $160 a night for 2021 with a 3 day full refund cancellation. So........... You may be able to make reservations both places and cancel the one that is least advantageous to you when the time draws near. Kalispell is nice more of a town there than in St Mary.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Entering into Canada north of glacier (about 1988) I was asked LOTS of times about guns..... oh, and then they wanted to know if I had a note from my kids mother given them permission to be with me.....
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Oldewing wrote:I hang it up, late July 2021, something like the 29th...

hang back a bit, I will catch up...

Sturgis starts on the 6th of Aug next year. July 29th is a Thursday, Friday I suspect you may be under the weather, I know I would be anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 lolol lolol

If we hit the road Saturday morning the 31st from your place, a 2 day run would be 625 miles to Cedar Falls/Waterloo area and the next day 650 will put us in Rapid City Sunday 1 August for the night.

If desired we can break it into 3 easier days with stops in Peoria and maybe Sioux City. 400 from Gahanna to Peoria then 440 to Sioux City then 430 to Rapid City. Arriving Monday the 2nd we would still be well ahead of the Sturgis crowds. Also a 3 day run gives us a bit of flex in case of a lost weather day.

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Sagebrush wrote:I don't know if you looked at the link to St. Mary Village or not but they are booking from $160 a night for 2021 with a 3 day full refund cancellation. So........... You may be able to make reservations both places and cancel the one that is least advantageous to you when the time draws near. Kalispell is nice more of a town there than in St Mary.
Thanks Dean
From their website
Online booking is currently unavailable.
Will check again in a couple days. Hope to have some hard dates within a week or so.

Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Bugdaddy66 wrote:I'll be watching for updates, depending on your route in Montana you may go right past my home! Are you camping or ? Always can make room, or provide a grassy spot for a tent. Shop space too if needed. Looks like fun!

Nice. I will not be camping and I will be on a big bike so hopefully no wrenching required but excellent to know there is a backup in the area!! action1 action1 action1 action1

GL1-242
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by GL1-242 »

If can be done in 2 weeks of leave? Im in

Paul
84 GL1200 STD
75 GL1000 #202
75 GL1000 (AKA, GL1-242)(AKA, Flipper)
76 LTD
76/77 CB750F
Bultaco's = 121, 152, 167, 188
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Penciled in

real thick lines with tape over top..... lolol anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I should be re-tired by then
-Rodger-