This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

scpumm
Lead Member
Lead Member

Brake rebuild tips and tricks

Post by scpumm »

Hello Octane, Thanks for your insights. It will save a fellow NGW members
a lot of grief when taking on this job. Your GL is certainly unique. Haven't seen that style of panniers before.
1979 GL1000, 1975 Triumph T160, 1967 BSA 441 Roadster
LeaStuff
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by LeaStuff »

Very good instructions!
I ran across an issue with the rear brakes seized up, which led to a significant crash on my 25 degree inclined driveway (cracked ribs, fractured wrist, shattered windshield...). The freshly rebuilt carbs just would not give the necessary power to overcome the braking force (inmoveable object/unstoppable force...).
During the tear-down (after medical recovery), I attempted the compressed air trick to eject the pistons...my 180 PSI compressor would not do the trick! I had to re-install on to the brake lines, and pump the brakes until the pistons popped out. Basic physics...brake fluid does not compress, where air does, thereby providing much greater force against the calipers...NOTE: Use appropriate safety measures! When that much force is let loose, you do not want to be in the path! The release was more like a shotgun blast that left my ears ringing...
SuperDave
'78 GL1000 (2nd Owner)
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

Another way to release a siezed brake caliper piston is use a grease gun. Use a zerk fitting and slowly pump grease into the brake caliper. You won't get the dynamic pop of brake fluid (preferred method) or air. Keep in mind that crease will fill every hole and void so clean up is critical. Grease and brake fluid do not mix. However, grease will move the most stubborn of stuck pistons.

Don
Diamond Bar, CA
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

In any case, it's a good idea to put the caliper inside a box and put a piece of wood into the caliper so that when the piston moves it will hit the wood instead of escaping and stay in the box if it does come out.

If you use the right thickness of wood it will also make sure that you don't have one piston come out before the other one starts to move.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
steve518
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Two-part caliper paint

Post by steve518 »

Which two-part caliper paint did you use? I'm getting ready to rebuild all 3 calipers this winter, and would like to freshen up the cosmetics while I'm at it. Thanks for the excellent tutorial.
Steve Williams
Gloversville, NY
75 GL1000
70 CD175
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Steve

I doubt you will get an answer. We have not seen Octane around these parts on a regular basis for a while now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
steve518
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: The NGW Project Bike. Brake rebuild

Post by steve518 »

After rebuilding the M/C on my '75 this weekend, I thought it worth mentioning that the most
difficult/scary part of the rebuild was convincing myself that I could actually get the seconday cup to stretch over the piston. It took a LOT of pinching, pulling, and stretching. I was fairly convinced that I'd be ordering another rebuild kit, but I finally got it done.
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

Steve, The hardest part of the journey is taking that first step. Congratulations on completing your first brake MC rebuild. I've done many of these and I can remember the first time and it was a bit scary. We've all been there. Even those of us who have been around awhile learn new tricks too. Just ask sometime about the "spooge" hole (bleed hole) in the rear MC. I couldn't figure out where it was let alone how small it was because my MC was caked over with dried brake fluid. Keep up the good work and you'll learn alot. Just remember there are no dumb questions when it comes to our old Wings.

Don
Diamond Bar, CA
RedRocket
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by RedRocket »

Working on my brakes now. On the rear caliper one piston popped out nicely, and now I don't have any backpressure to pop out the second one.

Any ideas guys?
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

This one is a bit messy but it works. If you install a zerk fitting on the bleed valve and then insert a piece of rubber or thin plastic between the two brake calipur halves to block the brake fluid hole. Reassemble the calipur and then using a grease gun, you can force the piston out. The down side to this method is that you will need to clean all the grease out before you reassemble the brake calipur. Grease and brake fluid are not compatible.

The better option is to block off the connecting passage with rubber or plastic, reassemble the calipur and try compressed air to pop out the stuck piston. This is the better method and not as messy.

Don
Diamond Bar, CA
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

RedRocket - Where are you in SoCal?

Don
RedRocket
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by RedRocket »

Thanks for the help. I tried plan B + some hammer taps, but it's not moving.
I don't have a grease gun, so I have to get my neighbor to bring me his from his work.

I thought I read about boiling them, but was that only to remove stubborn seals?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Buy yourself a grease gun. You will need it for other parts of the bike anyway.
RedRocket
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by RedRocket »

[quote="dbtroudy"]RedRocket - Where are you in SoCal?

Don[/quote]

Lake Forest
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

Grease guns are cheap at AutoZone or Kragen. Worth the investment. I've been stuck a couple of times getting the old pistons out. Give me a call if you have questions. Sent you my contact info via separate email.

Don