The NGW Project Bike. Carburetor rebuild

This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Hedgepig
Brass Member
Brass Member

Amazing detail on a carb restoration project

Post by Hedgepig »

Octane, thanks for the superb photographs/guides on how to revamp a full set of carbs - what with these and Randakks DVD, it should be easy-peasy :)
PS This site is a goldmine of information - thanks to all who contribute.
Enjoy a good shaft.......ride a Gold Wing
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

I realize this is kind of an older thread, but I had a question;

I have plans to re-finish my carbs in non-stock style. Plenum, carbs, CV slides, intake runners and all powder coat.

High-temp black wrinkle or black chrome powder-coat. (BC on the polished bits)

Would anyone here be interested in seeing an extension (of sorts) of this kind of thread that went into detail on what to block, how to prep, etc.?

I won't go into detail about the carb rebuild, that's been done very well by Octane... According to Randall, the video doesn't cover refinishing. (I haven't seen it) so maybe an addendum-type thing would be useful to someone who wanted to powder-coat or more likely, paint, their carbs?

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Hedgepig wrote:Octane, thanks for the superb photographs/guides on how to revamp a full set of carbs -...
You're so welcome Hedgepig.
Glad if it was helpful.

FirstYearDeek wrote:I realize this is kind of an older thread, but I had a question;

I have plans to re-finish my carbs in non-stock style. Plenum, carbs, CV slides, intake runners and all powder coat.

High-temp black wrinkle or black chrome powder-coat. (BC on the polished bits)

Would anyone here be interested in seeing an extension (of sorts) of this kind of thread that went into detail on what to block, how to prep, etc.?

I won't go into detail about the carb rebuild, that's been done very well by Octane... According to Randall, the video doesn't cover refinishing. (I haven't seen it) so maybe an addendum-type thing would be useful to someone who wanted to powder-coat or more likely, paint, their carbs?

-Deek
Yes, yes, yes and yes.
Please Deek. Do a thread about it.
That would be great.
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

This is for the Hampster. I cut my snorkel when I put in the accell coils. Not enough room. I couldn't tell any difference in the way the bike run good or bad. Plug color the same and everything. Go for it! Cutting the airbox like octane did is a different story. I cut mine and had to go to 125 secondary jet and shimmed the needles 1/2 mm. I tried going up on the primary with bad results. The bike actually lost low speed pick up. The needle shimming done the trick. Thanks to Randakk AND Octane. I can't give these guy's enough praise. If they were paid for the knowledge they lay on all of us, sureley they would be millionares!! :lol:
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

octane wrote:[...Please Deek. Do a thread about it.
That would be great.
Thy will be done.

I'll order Randalls video this afternoon and I'll start the madness next weekend.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
james_main
Lead Member
Lead Member

carbs recondition

Post by james_main »

Hi,
Goin to take my carbs off thanks for all the pics here on how to. Bike been down for 14 yrs. I c what I find in there. Hahahaha
1978 goldwing gl 1000
Texson
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Texson »

I have the Randakk kit and new stock seats and float valves. One thing I noticed in my teardown was the black plastic cap over the choke rod on mine is missing and a piece of stainless wire has been rigged there. Do you have any pics of how this was supposed to be originally. This looks suspicious to me...
"Texson" AKA Steve Caudle
Nacogdoches, TX
1978 GL 1000

I'm not a complete idiot...
some parts are missing.
james_main
Lead Member
Lead Member

carbs

Post by james_main »

Thatnks for all the good advices. My carbs r finished and bike started.
1978 goldwing gl 1000
d4bell
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Re: The NGW Project Bike. Carburetor rebuild

Post by d4bell »

I am rebuilding my carbs off a 1976 Sulfer yellow Gl that I bought new on Dec. 31, 1976. Have had the carbs off a couple of times to clean out plugged pilot jets, would'nt run at idle without the choke. Fowled #3 plug last time I ran a 100 miler. Decided to overhaul carbs before this season of riding. Started to take off carbs when I noticed white Plastic on top of polished dome blown out and broken. Do I look for another complete top or what. Who sells the plastic covers? thanx d4bell
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

[quote="d4bell"]I am rebuilding my carbs off a 1976 Sulfer yellow Gl that I bought new on Dec. 31, 1976. Have had the carbs off a couple of times to clean out plugged pilot jets, would'nt run at idle without the choke. Fowled #3 plug last time I ran a 100 miler. Decided to overhaul carbs before this season of riding. Started to take off carbs when I noticed white Plastic on top of polished dome blown out and broken. Do I look for another complete top or what. Who sells the plastic covers? thanx d4bell[/quote]

I think you can epoxy some nickels in there. I've also read you can cut the tops from a plastic paint can top. The important thing to remember is not to clog up the vacuum port in the top. If you look for it,... you will find it. No need to use different tops.
rickk
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by rickk »

What do you do when after you rebuild, install, balance carbs and you find out that two of your throttle shafts are leaking air through the carb body and will not allow you to set the air mixture screws properly? i.e. always running too lean which means you cannot get a good idle.

I found this problem when I did some "sniffing" with starter fluid and did a small direct shot at these shafts, and carbs 3 and 4 increased in RPM but 1 and 2 did not.

Is there anyway to rebuild this area in the carb body? Are there bushings there?
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Some folks have used felt to seal the shaft.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Seems like I recall someone saying the got some felt washers from a music shop where they were used to repair Trumpets???
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Yup,

That sounds right to me, somebody else got some at a fabric store.
rickk
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by rickk »

Thanks Whiskerfish and Cookie.

The felts from the trumpet sound about right. Probably have to cut them down a little.

The felt from the craft store also makes sense.

I made a die to punch out the center hole in 1/16th inch gasket paper and use the brass cap ring to mark out the outer diameter.

I checked out the fit and shaft interference on my "learing aid" carb and it fits and lets the shaft rotate freely.

I have some felt and will see if I can make it out of that, too.

I will take my carbs back out and give it a go in about a week. Got some honey dos first. Will let you know how that went.

Thanks again!