The NGW Project Bike. Timing belts. Removal/installation

This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Bob Longobardi
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Sure..................................

Post by Bob Longobardi »

8) After I struggle ,curse,spit,and read the service manual a jillion times I stumble upon this blessed Post. You are a prince among men! Thank you a Zillion times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even an old dog like me could understand it, and I suffer from CRS.................hahahaha :roll:
Bob Longobardi
75 GL1000 (2)
76 GL1000
77 GL1000
78 GL1000
70 triumph Bonneville
66 ss 396 chevelle ragtop
66 olds 442
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Thank you very much Bob,
for your very kind words!

I'm so pleased that the thread was helpful to you !

Kind regards.
jemaguy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by jemaguy »

I probably could do it now but ....Why take the chance..let my mechanic
do it then if fails it,s his fault.....he can fix the heads too...
Ride on
Matt
wave with an open hand...if not others might get offended
shwanwing
Lead Member
Lead Member

thanks a ton

Post by shwanwing »

very helpful!

this forum is fantastic
it's the mutants that make it!
AZCycle73
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AZCycle73 »

This is awesome... downloaded the PDF and the belts will be arriving on my doorstep in a day or two. Now I've just got to figure out how to get the timing correct afterwards. Off to the search engine....
1976 GL1000 - in progress - 70,000 miles - Originally Sulfur Yellow
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Octane's got two timing threads in his "Corner". One is for Dyna ignition and the other is GL1000 Points/Ignition.

I've made a PDF of the one for GL1000 but it has yet to be approved by Octane (dunno where he is lately). I'm gonna share it here but bear in mind that it may not be 100% accurate. Click here to Download the 1MB PDF of Octane's Points / Ignition Timing thread.
AZCycle73
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AZCycle73 »

You guys are awesome... disclaimer understood. ;)
1976 GL1000 - in progress - 70,000 miles - Originally Sulfur Yellow
revykevy
Tin Member
Tin Member

wow

Post by revykevy »

wow thanks for the tips.
Kevin

1982 GL 1100 Interstate (naked)
a n d
1982 GL 500 Interstate
john h
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

thank you

Post by john h »

i would just like to thank octane for this easy to follow timing belt change
i would never have had the guts to do it with out cheers mate.
just to add i stopped the right cam from moving by installing a treaded bar by hand into the cover retaining bolt hole and took a spanner i cut it in half and drilled a hole so that it would pass through the bar ,with a nut below and above to secure it before i took of the belts i placed the spanner onto the pully nut then took of the belts ,and nothing moved leaving my hands and mind free to consantrate on the job. i took pictures but cant work out how to post them sorry .
cheers john h
:-D :-D :-D
hallo my name is john and i have just bought a gl 1000 1977 thanks to the help of this site
cheers john h
Kenzie
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Timing Belt Cover Gasket Loose

Post by Kenzie »

I just changed belts, adjusters and springs on a '78 GL1000.
It went smoothly except that the portion of the timing cover seal that is supposed to be trapped in the middle between the left and right sides is not tightly clamped. I can move it with my finger enough to feel the edge of the timing cover. There is maybe .020" [0.5mm] overlap of the seal on the valve cover. Is this normal? Should I have another go at installing the timing belt covers? It does not appear to have any slop that would allow me to shift the position of the covers. It seems like Honda would not have intended this seal to be so loose.

I have seen other threads that call for a 6-9 lb-ft torque spec for the timing belt cover. Can anybody confirm that from a Honda source?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive. This continues to be one of the best forums on the internet.
'84 GL1200 Standard_solid fair weather driver
'78 GL1000_VIN #238 long term project
'01 Triumph Speed Triple
Roady

Post by Roady »

Those covers are not a weathertight seal. They don't have to contain oil, either. The bolts have collars that prevent them from pulling the covers in. So 6-8 ft.lbs. is just to keep the bolts from backing out and ending up on the pavement.

I have been able to loosen all 4 bolts and shift the covers around a bit to get a more snug fit on the gaskets. But, that's a major pain in the butt if you've already installed the radiator.
Kenzie
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Timing cover seal; loose fit

Post by Kenzie »

Thanks Roady,

I understand that the timing covers are not a tight seal. Given that there are open passage ways cast into the lower edge of the covers. I am not sure if they are drain holes to help diagnose oil and coolant leakage or if they are intended to maintain ambient air pressure inside the covers. Perhaps both.
In any case thanks for your response. I just wanted to know if other people have seen this issue and if there was need for a fix. I expect I will just leave it alone. I have to complete the reassembly of the front cover and timing covers on the '84 so I must let go of the minor issues with the '78 for now. I am rapidly running out of riding season here in Vermont ( the '78 will not be ridden this year) and these last weeks, though chilly, are by far the most beautiful. Thanks again for your input.
'84 GL1200 Standard_solid fair weather driver
'78 GL1000_VIN #238 long term project
'01 Triumph Speed Triple
gmh
Tin Member
Tin Member

Thanks

Post by gmh »

Thanks octane
From Slovenia

Gregor M Humar
Gregor M Humar

Honda CB 250 G5 1976
Honda CB 400 FOUR 1975
Honda GL-1 1000 1976
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShlMkgd3zw
twilson
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by twilson »

I replaced my belts today in about 2 1/2 hours (I didn't remove the radiator) and got it right on the first try thanks to these instructions! Thank you Octane!!!
Tim
San Jose, CA

'81 GL1100 Std.
goldwingsforcks
Lead Member
Lead Member

Thanks for the article!

Post by goldwingsforcks »

"You folks" give the internet a GOOD NAME!!!! I've been working on my vehicles before I ever owned one, so I'm quite familiar with all of my vehicles' shop manuals. But Youse Guyze (I'm originally from 'Jersey) beat 'em all! If a picture is worth a thousand words - yours are worth a few shop manuals! Thanks for all the great pix - they make the procedures SO MUCH easier to visualize!
Ken