The NGW Project Bike. Timing belts. Removal/installation

This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

jstengel
Tin Member
Tin Member

Timing Belt Shelf Life

Post by jstengel »

I have a 75' GL1000 that I just got running after 21 years. I have read the expert's posts recommending belt replacement intervals in both time (5 years) and mileage (25K). The belts on my bike were put on 5 years ago but it was never started. I took them off and inspected them. They looked new. I put them back on started the bike and they are not showing any problems. Yet I post here out of concern. Should I replace them? What do you think the shelf life is if they sat tensioned, but the engine never ran? In this case the garage temperature was between below freezing and 90F but the belts never reached engine operating temperature and they never got stressed and stretched the way belts would during operation. $40 worth of aftermarket belts is good insurance but am I wasting money?
Last edited by jstengel on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jess
75' GL-1000 65K Red Windjammer SS Bates Bags
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Welcome to the forums, jstengel. You should post an intro in the Introduce Yourself forum.

$40 bucks is cheap considering that if one of them breaks you'll get into about 10 times that amount. 5 years is recommended because of the life of the rubber, not the stress it's put under. Besides, if you're in there already, how easy is it to replace them?

A visual inspection will tell you nothing. The belts have been sitting in one position that long, under tension. They will certainly be somewhat dry rotted and crimped by the gears.

Replace them.
ericclarkbandit
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

additional information

Post by ericclarkbandit »

When following the tutorial make sure your bike is in nuetral. I fought the engine for what seemed ever before I made the observation. Maybe its just my boneheaded moment but it could save someone some headache.

Eric
Ride On

Looking for 1980 - 1983 GL1100
1984 1200 Standard Bobber
1993 GTS 1000 - For Sale
1995 RF900R Manta Ray
alltex
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by alltex »

Thanks after getting hosed on a stator replacement at the shop i think i,m going to be my own new mecanic and this realy helps
78 GL 1000
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Timing Belt Shelf Life

Post by Old Fogey »

jstengel wrote: $40 worth of aftermarket belts is good insurance but am I wasting money?
Yup.
Just the same waste of money as house insurance, life insurance, car insurance, bike insurance etc etc etc :twisted: :twisted:

$40 against what to might cost you if one of the damned things lets go is a no-brainer!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
guitarlos
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: The NGW Project Bike. Timing belts. Removal/installation

Post by guitarlos »

PLEASE be careful when tightening the bolts for the tensioners. I had the misfortune of shearing off a head while installing mine. I got lucky, this time. I was able to back it out with a center punch. Lucky too, I would have had to remove the entire engine to get a drill straight on to tap it out. Whew.....

Shes 30 years old and I noted that where this bolt snapped, the other (same pair of the tensioner)looked like it was stressed in the same spot as the other had sheared (slight discolor to teh bolt at the break point of the other). I bought 4 new bolts to install.

Learn from my mistake!
duggin
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by duggin »

So what is the life span of the belts in years and miles? My belts have about 15,000mi and 3yrs with tension adjustment every year. should I be replacing them soon?
duggin
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by duggin »

Never mind . I should have read this whole thread before i asked that question. Should have known it was here if I just kept looking.
lor109
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by lor109 »

Just wanted to say THANK YOU OCTANE!!! After a couple nerve racking hours I was able install new belts, with spot-on timing marks thanks to this tutorial.(and a couple of phone calls to a fellow goldwing owner)
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

You're so welcome !

...and WELCOME to the forum too !
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Anybox
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Anybox »

Hi Folks.
I just changed my belts this evening. I followed Octane's guidelines. Everything lines up nicely.
I spun it over by hand turned freely.nice and smooth. Turned her over on the starter. nice and free. Installed the plugs.
Am charging the battery tonight. I will fire her up tomorrow. One question. When the mark T1 is in place , and the cam marks are where they should be.
Is it possible to still be out 180" and if it is , will the engine turn free without the valves and pistons hitting?
Thanks for the info.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

The short answer is no. The crank rotates twice for every rotation of the Cams. So if you removed the belts and rotated the crank 360 degrees and put the belts back on it would not matter. With the Wasted spark ignition system the Crank does not care if it is on the exhaust or the power stroke, that is determined by the cams. I am sure Lars will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe I am ;) ;) ;)
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Anybox
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Anybox »

Thanks alot for the info. Much appreciated.
Next week I will start my Alternator conversion. I have the pulley already machined, will choose an alternator and begin.
Regards.
Anybox
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Anybox »

Hi all.
I fired up my Wing this afternoon. It runs fine! Thanks a million Octane. and anyone else for your help.

Just curious ,Why is there an F2 mark on the crank? Glad I listened to Octane and not my book!
It said that T1 is for 1&2 pistons and F2 is for 3&4. Don't understand.
However, the old girl purrs like a kitten.
Later!
Anybox
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Anybox »

Hi folks.
Me again.
My bike seems to run fine, However, I have a question I would like clarification on. Regarding the timing marks on the crank. There is a T and just below it there is a mark that run the same way as the top of the T. Which is the correct timing mark The top of the T or the horizontal mark just below it? Just want to be double sure.
Thanks.