This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Octane

I was wondering when you were gonna bail me out of this one!!! So the difference is just the fact that there is no physical contact and the Cam wobble does not offset the Dyna like it does the points. Got it!!

Steve
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mmstingray
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mmstingray »

So I fired her up yesterday for the first time this season. A carb synch is in order, but I wanted to get the timing done first. So I tried the timing again today, and I was actually wrong: the light was actually lighting. Problem is, it actually just makes the filament red. Weakly. Is this because I'm using a dual filament bulb? The bike runs, so i have to think that it must otherwise be getting a decent enough spark.
ICC
1977 GL1000 Wingray

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/MMStingray-1977-GL1000
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dyna ignition How to time and adjust

Post by millerdog »

Hey Octane! I got a pretty serious problem with a Dyna S ignition. I can get the 3/4 timing spot on, but for the 1/2 module I cant get it to move far enough to get it right with the mark! The directions say that the module for 3/4 is not adjustible except by moving the entire plate. However it is actually adjustible, with 1 screw in the rear of the plare, and 1 socket head in the front. This does not seem to fix my problem with the 1/2 module. No matter what I do, I cannot move the 1/2 module far enough to time correctly. It runs out of room, up against the module for 3/4! PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Millerdog_______
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
basil3w
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by basil3w »

Speaking of the Dyna S ignition - I have to say something about the people at the Dyna factory....
I bought a '78 GL1000 in a box about 2 years ago and spent the winter putting it together and all last summer riding it. I've been riding this summer until about three weeks ago and thought I developed the 'dreded coil problem', (lost two cylinders). I isolated the problem to the Dyna ignition unit, so I called the factory. I told them the story, and that I wasn't the original purchaser of the unit, and that I had no idea how old it was, all I wanted to know was if it could be repaired. They said, "box it up, send it out, and we'll take a look at it". A few days later, I gave them a call. Sure enough, they said one module was toast, and did I know that the unit was first bought in 1982? I asked how much to replace it and they replied that it wasn't worth fixing, but they'd ship me a new one for 1/2 price. Two days later I was back to collecting bugs with my teeth!
Dyna is a company that stands behind their product, and they have knowledgeable people doing their customer service. This company has certainly made me one Happy Camper!
-George
Naked 78 GL1000 (daily driver). Pretty 76 with an 1100 engine (also daily driver).
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Yeh, it is a definite improvement but its running a little rough at idle and the lower RPMs I assuming from 1/2 cylinders not being timed. Millerdog
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Dyna ignition How to time and adjust

Post by octane »

millerdog wrote:Hey Octane! I got a pretty serious problem with a Dyna S ignition. I can get the 3/4 timing spot on, but for the 1/2 module I cant get it to move far enough to get it right with the mark! The directions say that the module for 3/4 is not adjustible except by moving the entire plate. However it is actually adjustible, with 1 screw in the rear of the plare, and 1 socket head in the front. This does not seem to fix my problem with the 1/2 module. No matter what I do, I cannot move the 1/2 module far enough to time correctly. It runs out of room, up against the module for 3/4! PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Millerdog_______
Please don't post the same question in several forums/threads.

Thanks.

Please post answers to this question
in this thread: CLICK

Thanks.
AZCycle73
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AZCycle73 »

Fantastic write-up... it got rid of the uncertainty I was feeling about changing the timing belts and setting timing. And I'm gonna make one of those timing lights this weekend!
1976 GL1000 - in progress - 70,000 miles - Originally Sulfur Yellow
AZCycle73
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AZCycle73 »

Oops... my apologies... wrong thread! I don't have the Dyna ignition.
1976 GL1000 - in progress - 70,000 miles - Originally Sulfur Yellow
jedpegg
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

test lite

Post by jedpegg »

wish i had check this out a few weeks back could have saved time and money cool
78gl1000 daily ridder jedpegg
backyardbob
High Mileage Guru

Post by backyardbob »

Octane has it nailed. MY cam was showing .003 lateral movement due to bearing wear, which made it necessary to split an 8degree error with points.
The dyna system did not show the problem. When I went back to points when the dyna croaked I re-bored the cam carrier and replaced the bearings to cure (almost) the problem.
i finally made it past the junkyard dogs!!
luv2ride
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

will it work on all goldwings?

Post by luv2ride »

octane I have an 81 GL 1100 will this process work on mine or is there a difference???
I'D RATHER WING IT!!!
schmidtap2000
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Strange Problem on Timing

Post by schmidtap2000 »

a few weeks ago I was cruising along and the bike quit running, turns out the screws came loose and she came off time. well in getting everything reset, I've notice that 3/4 would show 2 different readings on the timing ( I static time). Any Idea on what would cause that? I reset it the other night, and will double check it again soon as I want to get this thing back on the road.

I do have some other issues, but thats a different story
Andrew P Schmidt

1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate
1977 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - Sold
1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim - Sold

U.S. Army 1996-2004, 2006-Present
20th En Bn, 1 Cav Div - Ft Hood, TX
USAREC Bn Minneapolis - St Paul, MN
92nd En Bn, 36th En Bde - Ft Stewart, GA
84th En Bn, 130th En Bde - Schofield Barracks, HI
19th En Bn, 20th En Bde - Ft Knox, KY
Operation Intrinsic Action, Operation Joint Forge, OIF, OEF
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rebelrouser/

Re: Strange Problem on Timing

Post by RebelRouser »

schmidtap2000 wrote:a few weeks ago I was cruising along and the bike quit running, turns out the screws came loose and she came off time. well in getting everything reset, I've notice that 3/4 would show 2 different readings on the timing ( I static time). Any Idea on what would cause that? I reset it the other night, and will double check it again soon as I want to get this thing back on the road.

1/2 Are Supposed To Be On The Same Fire, And 3/4 Are Supposed To Be The Same, If This Is Not The Case, Then Mabey You Have Your Spark Plug Wires Crossed As They Come Out Of The Coils...
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
schmidtap2000
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Strange Problem on Timing

Post by schmidtap2000 »

RebelRouser wrote:
schmidtap2000 wrote:a few weeks ago I was cruising along and the bike quit running, turns out the screws came loose and she came off time. well in getting everything reset, I've notice that 3/4 would show 2 different readings on the timing ( I static time). Any Idea on what would cause that? I reset it the other night, and will double check it again soon as I want to get this thing back on the road.

1/2 Are Supposed To Be On The Same Fire, And 3/4 Are Supposed To Be The Same, If This Is Not The Case, Then Mabey You Have Your Spark Plug Wires Crossed As They Come Out Of The Coils...
I know the wires are okay, didn't think that would screw up the static timing, all im doing is rotating the engine over, and checking the marks.
Andrew P Schmidt

1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate
1977 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - Sold
1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim - Sold

U.S. Army 1996-2004, 2006-Present
20th En Bn, 1 Cav Div - Ft Hood, TX
USAREC Bn Minneapolis - St Paul, MN
92nd En Bn, 36th En Bde - Ft Stewart, GA
84th En Bn, 130th En Bde - Schofield Barracks, HI
19th En Bn, 20th En Bde - Ft Knox, KY
Operation Intrinsic Action, Operation Joint Forge, OIF, OEF
Q
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Q »

I just installed one today and ran up against the same problem as Millerdog where the pickup units were up against each other but needed to be even closer to get the timing correct. Ended up grinding off a bit of plastic on each module so I could push them close enough together to get the timing right.

Q
QQQ