fork guru failing,brakes dont fit

cross over parts from other wings, hondas, or any other parts sources that can be used on our wings.

Moderators: robin1731, Rat, Forum Moderators

boogie red
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

fork guru failing,brakes dont fit

Post by boogie red »

Finally got a good set that rebuilt,cleaned up polished real nice. everything going great untill the brake caliper wont bolt up,spaceing is different, I never noticed. DAMIT I wonder what I have? I need some brakets,hoses, and calipers? for? my 1976 gold is wingless frt brake less. supose i could just run with rear brake only,na probably not.
76 gl naked, runs good, always tinkering
79 gl all the fairing stuff gone, work-in-progress
68 chevelle hi compression fat block, OH YA! In process of changing gear ratios, I'm excited!
73 tahiti jet 455 olds sweet heart, sad in a way, she gone, traded for a VTX Honda, didn't like it , traded For a Harley 19 Road King Classic, Stage 2, OH YA
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Re: fork guru failing,brakes dont fit

Post by roncar »

boogie red wrote:...the brake caliper wont bolt up,spaceing is different, I never noticed. DAMIT I wonder what I have?....
Pics would help. Sounds like you have 78/79 forks. If so I think you will have issues with the rotors and calipers lining up. Pics and some measurements here..... http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2543#92543
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

boogie red
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

need caliper brakets,hoses for 78-79 will 76 calipers work s

Post by boogie red »

Those pics were helpful,I have the braket holes that are spaced closer together,so may be 78-79 forks,so will the 76 calipers work in the 78-79 brakets,brake hoses long enough? I am useing spoke wheels. Thanks
68 chevelle hi compression fat block, OH YA! In process of changing gear ratios, I'm excited!
73 tahiti jet 455 olds sweet heart, sad in a way, she gone, traded for a VTX Honda, didn't like it , traded For a Harley 19 Road King Classic, Stage 2, OH YA
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

The 76 calipers and brake lines will work fine on 78-9 forks and caliper mounts. the problem is the rotors on the wheels. The comstar rotors are closer together and the fork/mount is setup to center on them. When used with the wire spoke wheels, something (grinding?) will have to be done to the mount/fork to get the mount further away from the wheel and line up on the rotor. Sounds like work to me.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

boogie red
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

beat it to fit paint to match ( grinding)

Post by boogie red »

ya its all work,just gettin frustrated,I suppose I could try and find another set,I had already been through 2 sets, bent tubes,sliders shot,I think I am going to try and find the caliper brakets that go to these forks and see just see,beat it to fit paint it to match( grinding) would be feasable. Thanks Hopefully it doesnt become FUBARED