Cable cross over?

cross over parts from other wings, hondas, or any other parts sources that can be used on our wings.

Moderators: robin1731, Rat, Forum Moderators

Scott Ironhorse
Brass Member
Brass Member

Cable cross over?

Post by Scott Ironhorse »

I'm hopeing to not have to pay for custom cables. I need shorter clutch and throtle cables for my 79 cafe wing. Do other Honda or "other" Cables work? I've asked at honda suppliers. They don't even know how long a given cable is for a given bike. Let alone if it'll attach to my wing.
Scott Ironhorse
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cable cross over?

Post by Old Fogey »

Scott Ironhorse wrote:I'm hopeing to not have to pay for custom cables. I need shorter clutch and throtle cables for my 79 cafe wing. Do other Honda or "other" Cables work? I've asked at honda suppliers. They don't even know how long a given cable is for a given bike. Let alone if it'll attach to my wing.

Here's a source for a shorter clutch cable. The early UK/Euro models all had flat (ish) bars. Unfortunately we too have a problem sourcing the short OEM throttle cables.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_17313/
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Papa Bear
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Papa Bear »

I believe same year cb750 cables and Cb900C cables will work and they are a bit shorter. I'm pretty sure ball ends are the same.

There are ball end kits available and I believe you can still get ferrels and crimpers for the vinyl. I just googled custom motorcycle cable kits and several things came up that would help.
Papa Bear

Keep your head on a swivel and your eyes open!

Current bikes: '78 Wing with '76 false tank, '76 Wing (GLzilla) with 1200 bottom and 1000 top end, '82 GS850 beater bike. '84 1200 project motor.

Previous bikes: '72 Yamaha 250, '76 Kawi KZ400, '62 Triumph 650 Bonnie, '74 Triumph (Chopped), '78 Kawi 750 Twin, and '76 GL.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Scott for a temp fix, I just pull the cables out the left side and hand them a bit over the top of the left cylinder head. Not too noticeable. I have noticed that some of the cables I have pulled off of bikes are shorter by about 2 inches, Have not figured what year they came off of...
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Scott Ironhorse
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Scott Ironhorse »

I worked for 7 years as an garage door tec. I loved the ocational 2 man jobs because every time you work with someone you can learn something. Even and especialy if it is something you've learned elsewhere because people do the same thing differently.
Every responce is valuble to me, keep em coming on this and other posts!!

Please check out my photo album in the wingmans lounge, look at my choke knob placement. The cable is about 6" long. Does anyone have an opinion as to weather or not my tecneque for it would be good for clutch and throtle? I cut off wheeled the cable to length, cut a slot in the bead, releacing the cable, liquid steeled the steel end cap back on the end of the sheathing and then Folded the cable left and right in the slot and high silver content soldered the bead on the shortened cable.

That made sence in my head, did it in yours?
Scott Ironhorse