gas cap

cross over parts from other wings, hondas, or any other parts sources that can be used on our wings.

Moderators: robin1731, Rat, Forum Moderators

77oldau
Brass Member
Brass Member

gas cap

Post by 77oldau »

Any one find a gas cap replacement for 1977 wing? lost mine
LWITZEL
kritch
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: gas cap

Post by kritch »

interested in this as well. I have one for my bike but would like to get a new one if possible.
Mitchin!

77 GL1000 buffet racer
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

Need one as well.
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
ziggydog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ziggydog »

Still available from Honda, Partzilla has them for $15.38.
Plus EBay has something like 60 of them for sale.

Well sorry for the bogus info, Partzilla is usually up to date but I see that Bike Bandit says it's no longer available. Like I said , about 60 different ones on EBay .
Last edited by ziggydog on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
1976 Goldwing Yellow
1989 Honda Transalp 600
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Sorry, gas tank caps were dropped by Honda almost 2 years ago. If any Web site e.g., Partzilla, shows they are available, this only means that their site isn't receiving active updates from Honda. If they indicate that they have one i.e., they show a price, and you order it, you'll end up getting a 'no longer available' email at sometime in the future so, don't waste your time. Western Honda's site shows this part as 'Call for Price', which is 'Honda speak' for, "We don't make it anymore."

If you need a cap, your best bet is to pick up a used one on eBay (or from a member) and clean it. They're very simple in design, clean up very well and can last forever unless damaged. Remove and toss the rubber gasket as they're still available from Honda for just over a buck so, buy a few. Soak the cap in vinegar for a few days to dissolve any rust and goo restricting the vent, spring etc. Change the vinegar every day to keep it fresh. Thoroughly clean it, make sure the vent is clear and install your new gasket.

I know of no cross-over fuel cap that will work for these tanks. Our Cross-Over Parts list doesn't show anything as well.

Over the last year, I've noticed that DSS, along with their "Genuine Parts", are also showing identical "OEM Remplacment" parts. I contacted them and asked for their meaning/definition of the 'OEM Replacements' description. They responded saying that they have been negotiating with former Honda parts makers to re-produce original parts. Personally, I thought this was big news. I gave them a list of parts (including gas caps) that I thought would be good sellers. Maybe if we all contacted them with our recommendations as well, it might give them more reason to pursue additional parts that we all need.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button

Return to “Parts Reference Forum”