'78 - pinched another loaf - Johnny 5!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

pidjones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: '78 - pinched another loaf - Johnny 5!

Post #121 by pidjones » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am

All that was accomplished yesterday was removing the latch pegs and sanding the side covers. They are different colors, and had different stripes. One had decals that sanded off, the other vinyl stripes cleared over that required a razor blade to remove. Luckily, the residue sanded off Okay. Hopefully will have low humidity today so they can be primed. Only one sidecover had a badge on it, and I don't have a spare that I remember, but I do have new shelter HONDA badges for it. Thinking a two-tone black and gold with 4:1 for the main and 2:1 for the accent (black-to-gold mixture). I did the 4:1 on Hunley's frame and it is very subtle.

Maybe I can get the shelter sides sanded today, then the little hinge cover. Has to be painting weather for the hinge cover as I've experience rapid flash-rust on them, so will need etching primer quick.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
1978 GL1000 - winter project for 2020 challenge
2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl
1979 GL1000 project - to be restored
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike - the Rocket - SOLD!
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '75 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped

PDub
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post #122 by PDub » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm

I met some folks who had renovated a beautiful property/compound on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland for a non-profit foundation. They told me the place had originally been built by the guy that invented naugahyde, who must have made a lot of money.

At any rate, they said the place had been completely "wallpapered" with the stuff and they went on and on about what a pain it was to remove.
Rednaxs60 - Looks and functionality are two different issues. It's like buying what appears to be a showroom kept bike and you get that "wow that's a bike I want" feeling, then you get it home and start the maintenance and voila, here come the skeletons from the closet.

pidjones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post #123 by pidjones » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Usually mounted on solid surfaces (like walls and the shelter door) with rubber cement. It does NOT want to let go. Gasoline works I think, but not to be used in my garage (or striping walls). Durn critters have tough hides, I'll give 'em that.

So far, the side covers are sanded and primed with etching primer as is the little plate over the shelter door hinge. Also the radiator scoops. Shelter sides had been primed with I think a sanding primer and painted with a thin layer of flat black. Makes it pretty easy to see all of the pock marks in them, which are very many. I've skimmed the worst one with Bondo glaze several times already and it works in small cracks and divots, but comes off from shallow depressions when I sand, so I'll try sanding primer. I found on the Hunley that I have to really let it cure before painting over it, and must seal it with etching primer first. Rolled Johnny 5 out again and fired it up - starter over-running clutch is still not engaging ~50% of the time, but when it does it works fine. Hopefully the MMO I added to the last oil change will do the trick. Luckily, the engine fired off pretty easy. I found that one of the idle mix adjust screws was not even started in its threads, so after screwing it in and back out to 2 turns along with setting all at 2 turns it really idles nice. Still have to balance the carbs, but I've never had problems doing that - might catch it tomorrow after tilling the garden for the wife and climbing on the roof to check antenna connections and aim. Front tire came today but I don't know if I want to go to a shop and get it mounted right now. At 67 and mild COPD, it may not be the best thing to do. Guess I could arrange to drop it off outside their door and pick it up later with payment by card or PayPal.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
1978 GL1000 - winter project for 2020 challenge
2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl
1979 GL1000 project - to be restored
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike - the Rocket - SOLD!
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '75 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”