Pauls GL 1000 Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

mogold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37699

Re: Pauls GL 1000 Project

Post by mogold »

I've just read this entire thread...(3 beers worth) I believe the thread deserves its own category in the forum. I was saddened to see that he was selling it....but there is ALOT of great information for gl owners in this, especially first time owners. Paul, if you still read these..thanks for taking the time to be so thorough with your experience...very entertaining too!
CBGL Project thread http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37699
1977 GL1000

CBGL Photo build documentation http://photobucket.com/cbgl
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

update.. Today is May 28, 2012 - Memorial Day!

I have not sold my bike. I almost did but the deal feel through, thankfully!

I discovered last year that the water pump was leaking, which is one of the reasons I didn't ride it very much last year.
I purchased a pump two months ago and then I couldn't find the water pump gasket set I purchased last year. So I ordered a new set and have been waiting over the last month to do the job.

I ordered a used seat pan which came in least week. The idea was to shape the two-up foam into the original oem seat shape and cover it with an oem style cover. Then I realized I'm about two inches too short for an oem seat. That lead to me sculpting the seat to fit me height. I finished that up on Friday. Saturday was spent creating the seat cover. Lots of sewing on Saturday. I started attaching the cover and then the rivit gun broke.

After church on Sunday I started what I thought would be a twenty-minute water pump replacement but turned into three hours. Thanks to the article about changing the water pump in the shop section I learned about the "Bingo" method. That saved my butt when I was struggling to get the stupid Phillips head screws out!

Went to TrackAuto to get the new oil, anti-freeze and new battery. After returning home I had about 5 minutes before a horrible storm soaked everything. I moved to the basement to put the acid in the battery. Hooked it up to the charger and called it a night. Today I put the fluids and battery in and worked on getting the engine started as it's been sitting for over a year. It actually started fairly easily.
Last edited by paultjack on Tue May 29, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'78 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

The engine was running rough though. That was expected as the fuel in there is 1.5 years old! Thank heavens for fuel stabizer! After letting it run awhile things smoothed out. So with everything working I went back to the seat and finished that up. Next it was time for a bath. And now the bike looks great!

I took it out for a ride to get fresh gas and that reminded me of how much fun this bike is to ride!

I'll post some photos tomorrow of how it looks with the new seat.

I'm heading to bed as I'm beat after three days of working outside in the heat!
Last edited by paultjack on Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
aussiewingman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by aussiewingman »

i have to say after read the bit about the harley dude talking about your bike...to me some harleys look good, well alot of them look good, to me i think they're over priced-over rated...and the motors suck the juice...so all they have are looks and a big marketing history...sorry if i've offended anyone..
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

So, I fixed the spelling errors in my last two posts. Using a cell phone in bed to enter text on a forum is not a good idea!!!

I wanted to thank Roady for his waterpump how-to in the Shoptalk area. The part about getting the screws out ("Bingo") really saved me from making a bad decision about cutting or drilling for some other method to getting my screws out.

The large can mufflers I purchased to put on the bike are still sitting on my carport. I've given up the idea of installing them for several reasons. 1) I'm lazy and don't want to take the time required to work out and modify the bike to make new anchor points to mount them. 2) They are LARGE! Installing them down low would prevent me from leaning the bike in any turn. They'd scrape with even a mild turn! 3) I don't have any welding equipment to help in the fabrication of new mounting points or for making the pipes required to attach them to the headers. 4) Several more reasons but I think you get the idea. Probably reason 1 is the biggest factor though!

So I have been on the lookout for some slip-ons, possibly Harley, that would make a good exhuast system at a reasonable price. I found the following mufflers and picked them up for $20.50 (plus $24 SH) which I thought was a reasonable price. I'm hoping they'll install very easily! Just a simple bracket should do it!
Muffler 2
Muffler 2
muffler2.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Muffler 1
Muffler 1
muffler1.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 307 times

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Here's a couple of pictures I snapped this morning of the new seat. I made a strap for it too but haven't gotten around to putting that on just yet.
Seat one
Seat one
2012-05-29_07-40-58_346_Resized_Resized.jpg (246.19 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Seat two
Seat two
2012-05-29_07-41-33_585_Resized_Resized.jpg (236.45 KiB) Viewed 303 times

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Mufflers came in on Friday! They are very cool. There's no marking at all on them anywhere so I'm not exactly who manufactures them.

I headed out to the hardware store to pick up some washers, nuts and angled aluminum for the mounting.

It took me only about 30 seconds to rip off the huge, ugly mufflers and then I was ready for bracket building time!

I chose aluminum angle stock to work with for several reasons. 1- the mufflers had studs in them which allowed them to be positioned perpendicular to the muffler mounting point. 2 - I figured the angled material would allow for a bit more strength than straight material. 3- Aluminum poslishes nicely!

I managed to fabricate 4 brackets, two of which were trash do to the position of the holes I drilled. With a little bending, hammering, drilling and filing I finally had them done and installed.

I have not polished them yet. The brackets are not too noticeable so I'll wait until I have nothing else to do and them give them a nice buffing and clear coating.

When I did my restoration I did not put the heat shields on and instead chose to just paint the headers black. I really didn't like the look but suffered with it. The heat shields I took off had some nice road rash which is why I left them off. But, after installing the new mufflers I re-evaluated the heat shields and decided the rash was not too noticeable and decided to install them. I'm actually glad I did because they look much better than just the black headers!

They are a tad bit louder than the old mufflers, but they do have a nice deep rumble sound. I was expecting the bike to sound more like an angry chainsaw but am happy with the new sound.

So, I know you are all waiting for some pictures so here you go!
Side Shot
Side Shot
2012-06-02_11-24-52_352_Resized.jpg (251.78 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Other Side Shot
Other Side Shot
2012-06-02_11-25-13_168_Resized.jpg (235.88 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Closer up
Closer up
2012-06-02_11-26-00_869_Resized.jpg (242.19 KiB) Viewed 279 times
From the Bum
From the Bum
2012-06-02_11-26-27_890_Resized.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 279 times

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
Pokegama
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Pokegama »

Those pipes look sweet! nice job on the install. anim-cheers1
1979 GL1000....Ya gotta start somewhere!
August 2013 BOTM!
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38985