Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

Post by Marc »

Put something slippery on a seat and then bring a lawsuit against the manufacturer when you slide ... what a world we live it. You think I ought to Armor All my seat, foot pegs, and hand grips???
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

When I was racing Honda the local dealer would do all the work on the bike. The "gophers" cleaned it up one time. Armor-all'd the seat. Even a slow drag bike is not good with a slippery seat. :shock:

I had a firm "discussion" with them after that.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I actually had my "other" bike to the dealer to fix something I couldn't I was so pleased that the cleaned up the bike making the wide white walls REALLY white.... they must have used the same rag on my windshield. Needless to say, that have bought me a new windshield
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Monday, Feb. 20, Tuesday, Feb.21. Work Days Four and Five.

(Just an FYI, if it seems like I'm making slow progress, my "work day" is typically three to four hours long, minus interruptions. :roll: )

Monday's to do list consisted mainly of removal of additional tupperware, belt covers, brake components, and center stand, plus whatever additional stuff I ran into. Progress was made, but I spent a good portion of the day trying to get the bike up off the tires while remaining on the lift table, all by myself. I'm by nature a cautious person, so if you begin with several hundred pounds of motorcycle, add a relatively narrow work surface, and lift it two and a half feet off the floor, it just adds up to a lot of futzing around!

Anyway, success!
Quickie 022212 003.jpg
Quickie 022212 003.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Think these will clean up? :roll: :lol: :roll:
Quickie 022212 001.jpg
Quickie 022212 001.jpg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 521 times
How not to fix a bad thermo switch... shakehands
Quickie 022212 024.jpg
Quickie 022212 024.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Belts look like original equipment. But, hey, pretty clean under there!
Quickie 022212 002.jpg
Quickie 022212 002.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 521 times
I also took a bunch of reference pics, as a reminder where hoses, wiring, and cables were when I started. Bugs me when I can't remember how it was before...

Second half in a few...
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

WOW.... your hands are turning purple.... must be cold there
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Work Days Four and Five, continued;

I guess I'm not leaving the right offerings to the motorcycle elves, because nothing more got accomplished overnight... ;) :roll: :P

Because I'll be pulling the gas tank for cleaning, and replacing the fork seals as well as changing both tires, removal of "stuff" just keeps on happening. It's kind of depressing, really, because I sometimes feel like I'm just going down the same road as before. I have to keep resisting the urge to think about painting and pimping pieces as they come off. I'm also resisting the desire to just grab some of those nice, already pimped parts that belong to Josie. Bad Todd (slap the hand). Bad boy... :orange

I have diagnosed our victim... She suffers from... P.O. Syndrome!
Symptoms include (but are not limited to):

Riding her when she is unsafe. You might guess your fork seals are shot when the horns are wearing a hole into the front fender... :roll:
Quickie 022212 022.jpg
Quickie 022212 022.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Or when almost new brake pads soak up fork oil and look like this...
Quickie 022212 026.jpg
Quickie 022212 026.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Neglect...
Quickie 022212 016.jpg
Quickie 022212 016.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Quickie 022212 023.jpg
Quickie 022212 023.jpg (58.36 KiB) Viewed 518 times
And kludge fixes...
Quickie 022212 024.jpg
Quickie 022212 024.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Okay. So, the accomplishments for days four and five include all tupperware and racks, including fairing, removed. Rear fender and inner fender removed. All brake components removed. Center stand and battery box removed.

Known issues/further investigations:
1) Frame corrosion around battery box and center stand.
2) Battery box corrosion.
3) Possible bad battery cable(s).
4) Possible bad solenoid.
5) Redo dog bone fuse bypass (no connectors used).
6) Starter test.
7) Frozen rear brake pedal.
8) Rear air shock condition.

I need to keep this bike a "roller" for as long as I can, as I also need to do some service work for the FIL. I'm trying to prioritize what I'm working on, but I really don't want to put out money on anything until I get a pretty good notion of where I'm at.

Tires. Tires, tires, tires.

I'm going to need to pick up a few small parts yet to rebuild the front forks. I'm actually just going to do up the units for Josie, as they are ready to assemble and will just swap in. I just need to get the two sets of copper crush washers for the side drain and retainer bolts, and they should be good. I want to do this when I do the tires.

The gas tank issue, as well as the frame cleanup, I'd like to keep together with the tires, as well.

The brakes are pretty scary, I know. Because I'm swapping '82 brakes onto Josie, I've got a tote of extra parts for possible "mix n match" play. I'm obviously going to need front pads, however. I might just have to bite that bullet...

As far as the engine/mechanical stuff, I've got a set of carbs ready to go. Replacing the belts, hoses, etc. right now is going to cut into my tire fund, but I might just want to see if she's gonna run... :roll: :mrgreen: ;) Electrical issues aren't really too bad, mostly nickel and dime stuff.

I'm working up a load of scrap metal from the shop as well as a few old appliances to haul to recycling. Given the price lately for scrap, I might be getting close to my target for tires. I need to start looking, I guess...

Any suggestions on what my priority should be? Tires first, or belts and carbs? Either way, she won't see the road before they're both completed...

Thanks for reading

Todd

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

This is great lunchtime reading material and I like all the pictures. It's exciting to see your progress.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Those timing belt covers will clean up fine. Start with 220 then 320 then 400 grit paper, then polish to your hearts content! Keep up the good work.
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

brokentoe wrote:This is great lunchtime reading material and I like all the pictures. It's exciting to see your progress.
Glad i can give you some enjoyment! I enjoy writing as well. Obviously, I'm a picture slut, too!
polkadot77 wrote:Those timing belt covers will clean up fine. Start with 220 then 320 then 400 grit paper, then polish to your hearts content! Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I pretty much knew they would, just kind of funny how things get crappy so easy. So much of what needs getting done could have been prevented... shakehands :roll:

Was planning on going over to the shop tomorrow, but the weather forcast looks pretty awful. Bad enough that I have to drive in snow for work, don't really need to add more stress. So, I was hoping to clear up some space in my basement work area to do most of the brake work and finish up the forks, anyway, rather than waste time and heating fuel. Just gotta keep my focus when I'm home, too many distractions...

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

Hi Todd. as far as the small crush washers go i just sand them smooth and clean on some fine sandpaper on a flat block and reuse them whenever possible. Might save ya a couple dollars. JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thanks, JBz, I thought of that, but a couple of them are really chewed up from being overtightened. One of the bottom ones is cone shaped, it's so bad. I thought of heating them up with a torch as suggested elsewhere, as well, but I just don't want to muck it up. I think I'd rather spend a couple of bucks...

Well, looks like the "storm" has pretty much avoided our area. But, I picked up a couple of sheets of free MFD and some 2X4's last night, so I'm off to build and install a couple of sections of shelving in the basement. Gotta keep up the momentum on these house projects as well... Next shop dates should be Saturday between work, and Sunday, the sooner I get out of the house, the better...

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Marc »

The crush washers are crushed, buy new ones - your life could depend on it. My two cents. I've reused mine also, but I don't think it is the best route to go.
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

To my dedicated followers, lolol sorry for the lack of an update last week. It was kind of hectic. Good news is I've augmented the wing fund by a couple of "bens" so parts and/or tires are getting ordered this week... Here's what happened on the bike last week...

Sunday, February 26, Work Day Six
Wednesday, February 29, Work Day Seven:

I was greeted by this sight when I arrived on Sunday :-?
Quickie day6 024.jpg
Quickie day6 024.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 477 times
The coolant drops are there because the water pump cover is off. But, the oil? Also notice the nice "trail" extending back from the weep hole? doesn't look promising... So, I cleaned everything around the front cover, then poked and prodded goo and gunk out of the weep hole, and finally stuffed a twisted piece of paper shop towel up into the hole to clean out any remaining residue. I decided I'd revisit it later to see if any oil and/or coolant had returned inside...

Then, I was off to 'birth' a gas tank!

Some stuff I found:

Loose shock mount
Quickie day6 027.jpg
Quickie day6 027.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 477 times
A little extra moisture got in there somehow...
Quickie day6 090.jpg
Quickie day6 090.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Success!
Quickie day6 096.jpg
Quickie day6 096.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

I had a helper on Wednesday. My stepson decided he wanted to see how it was going, and got his hands a little dirty...

I was happy to see no oil or coolant in or around the weep hole. I even stuffed a trimmed down Q-tip up inside, and came away with nothing new! Yea! Just going to cross my fingers and keep an eye on it...

What's so hard about getting to the throttle cables? lolol
Quickie day6 095.jpg
Quickie day6 095.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Off with her head! (um, carbs!) The engine is pretty clean, but the paint is a bit flaky...
Quickie day6 102.jpg
Quickie day6 102.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Der dey is...
Quickie day6 103.jpg
Quickie day6 103.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 476 times
I had to remove the top caps and slides from carb #1 and 3, of course, and was heartened by how clean everything looked inside. Maybe, just maybe, I might get to give 'em a good cleaning and get by...

I also got to inspect and start to clean up the rust around the frame crossmember. Looks like just some healthy surface rust, so pretty easy work there. While I was doing that, Josh removed the front wheel and forks, then proceeded to give the frame a good once over with shop towels and 409. It actually is looking pretty good!

Not much left to take off...
Quickie 030212 002.jpg
Quickie 030212 002.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Packed up the carbs, brake calipers, and master cylinders for a trip home, where I can spread out and work on them undisturbed... dancr dancr dancr

More to come!

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

The last things I did on day seven was drain the oil and pop off the valve covers. The oil looked pretty clean and debris free, but the oil drain plug was toast. I had to tap a socket onto the chewed up head, then use an air impact to get it off. Makes me wonder when the oil was changed last...

Here's a shot of the head with the cover removed. If you look closely, you might see the gobs of silicone sealer squished around inside...
Quickie 030212 006.jpg
Quickie 030212 006.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Quickie 030212 004.jpg
Quickie 030212 004.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 473 times
All in all, very clean inside, me thinks...

Saturday, March 3, Work Day Eight:

I finally made enough room on my bench to dig into the carbs. Got out my four trusty pans and containers, and started in...

The #2 and #4 bowls. You might notice that the main jet from #4 is sitting loose in the bowl. The idle screw was way off compared to the other three carbs as well... Wonder how well it ran like that...
Quickie 030312 001.jpg
Quickie 030312 001.jpg (74.69 KiB) Viewed 473 times
After taking some more stuff apart, I pulled the air cut off valve from the #1 carb. Not good...
Quickie 030312 006.jpg
Quickie 030312 006.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 473 times
I also pulled the accelerator pump diaphragm, and it looked to be in much the same shape. Luckily, I waited before splitting the plenum and separating the carbs. As I have a set of carbs already "Randakked" sitting on the shelf, this set went back together, got wrapped up in plastic bags, and will wait for another day. The Wifey was happy, anyway, because I spent more time with the visiting grandbaby... :orange :orange :orange

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.